HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #51
Marlin Bogner

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: engine choice?

That is what I do. I have a good customer that wanted it. I have already started on another. I will just get my 68 hemi cuda out for the next race. The reason I built the 68 318 stocker is there is very little maintenance,I new it would be fast after I got the piston with notches oked and I did not want a roll bar car. Racing in a t-shirt this summer was nice too.
Marlin Bogner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #52
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Bogner View Post
That is what I do. I have a good customer that wanted it. I have already started on another. I will just get my 68 hemi cuda out for the next race. The reason I built the 68 318 stocker is there is very little maintenance,I new it would be fast after I got the piston with notches oked and I did not want a roll bar car. Racing in a t-shirt this summer was nice too.
Never mine, i found the answer to my question

Last edited by David Lee; 06-28-2017 at 07:34 PM.
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #53
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Check out the Featured Flyer in last weeks Dragster!
Nice, somewhat vague, article. Nice car.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #54
Sam Capizzi Jr

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Totally missed this thread. Idk where to start but I will say that the flat top piston on the 318 (which is the only legal one as far as I know) is one of the limiting factors...I've reached the point where the only improvements on my car will come in the form of cubic dollars spent....also there is a single plane intake legal for the earlier year 318s that should be faster BUT the engine isn't making any horsepower over 6300 anyway so who knows.
Sam Capizzi Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #55
Sam Capizzi Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Bogner View Post
I have over 1000 passes on my motor and need to watch for dry rot on tires instead of check holes lmao. Pump gas is also nice for bracket racing
Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #56
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Capizzi Jr View Post
Totally missed this thread. Idk where to start but I will say that the flat top piston on the 318 (which is the only legal one as far as I know) is one of the limiting factors...I've reached the point where the only improvements on my car will come in the form of cubic dollars spent....also there is a single plane intake legal for the earlier year 318s that should be faster BUT the engine isn't making any horsepower over 6300 anyway so who knows.
Pat told me the new Diamond piston (80077) is also a flat top. Not sure why two Diamond flat top pistons are needed. I e-mailed Diamond but they haven't responded to my inquiry.

Sam, are you running the "high top" BBD 1-1/4" on your 318? Somewhere around 1973/4 they switched to the "high top" air horn casting but also switched to AFB jets which would be nice. The change was for emissions to seal around the accelerator pump better and pipe it off to the canister.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #57
Sam Capizzi Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
Pat told me the new Diamond piston (80077) is also a flat top. Not sure why two Diamond flat top pistons are needed. I e-mailed Diamond but they haven't responded to my inquiry.

Sam, are you running the "high top" BBD 1-1/4" on your 318? Somewhere around 1973/4 they switched to the "high top" air horn casting but also switched to AFB jets which would be nice. The change was for emissions to seal around the accelerator pump better and pipe it off to the canister.
I'm running the earlier vacuum version. I had to get creative and make a set of jets for mine. Haven't tried the later version
Old 08-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #58
Sam Capizzi Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
Pat Cvengros called me today and told me the new Diamond 318 piston, #80077, was a "True flat top" and "no valve notches" according to Pat. Not sure what happened, but that is disappointing.

I believe I originally brought up the roll bar issue since I was reluctant to put one in my 340 Barracuda. I guess it could always be cut out.

Interesting. So with all this talk about aftermarket heads and intakes on the mopars I decided to give this thread a new look. So what your saying is that it was approved, built and now it's no longer approved?? I do know that when I asked a few questions to pat about different year 318 intakes, i was told that they (68-71 and 73) are two different motors with different parts which is why they have different horsepower numbers. This was when all 318s were at 185 and the 69 was at 182.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #59
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Capizzi Jr View Post
Interesting. So with all this talk about aftermarket heads and intakes on the mopars I decided to give this thread a new look. So what your saying is that it was approved, built and now it's no longer approved?? I do know that when I asked a few questions to pat about different year 318 intakes, i was told that they (68-71 and 73) are two different motors with different parts which is why they have different horsepower numbers. This was when all 318s were at 185 and the 69 was at 182.
What rear, gear ratio are you running? Converter?
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #60
Sam Capizzi Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
What rear, gear ratio are you running? Converter?
Turbo action and the cargoes thru traps at 6100 in bad air and closer to 6500 at maple grove