HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
RICK W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default cometic head gaskets

What is the proper head torque for a 350 super stock motor with .036 cometic head gaskets with studs, they are seeping at the corners at 75 lbs. Thanks
RICK W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,031 Times in 270 Posts
Default Re: cometic head gaskets

That isn't a torque problem, most likely. More apt to be warpage or finish. Adding torque is not the solution.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
That isn't a torque problem, most likely. More apt to be warpage or finish. Adding torque is not the solution.
I have used & reused those for a few years now, with no issues. I'm with Alan.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Have you ever checked the block and head for flatness? Recently? Also Cometic will tell you to use the "torque specs " that the head bolt or head stud manufacturer recommends SBC usually is 65 but if you are using ARP because of the lube they use to install the studs I'm sure you have to go higher --Even tho Cometic does not recommend it have you tried re torquing the heads to see if they are in spec just in case you mighta missed one-- However if its the ends leaking most likely the heads are not truly flat and might need to be resurfaced--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^ Never heard of anybody using 75 lbs either.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
RICK W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Removed intake, leaking in the middle inside also, deck surface too rough for those gaskets I suspect
RICK W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK W View Post
Removed intake, leaking in the middle inside also, deck surface too rough for those gaskets I suspect
They need a smooth finish. I have seen corner automotive machine shops with cutters on their head & block miles set up for a rough finish. Ridges. Not what we need.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

This is a question on what to do about this problem . If its found that the surface finish is too rough , what can be done to correct this or make due with it . I am thinking that the engine has already been setup with the correct deck height and combustion chamber volume so if the block was re-decked, to correct the surface finish, then it might not pass tech , same with the heads . Can some sort of sealer be used like Permatex Copper Gasket Sealer ? I recently disassembled an engine with Cometic head gaskets and there was no gasket sealer on the head gaskets . Is this normal for Cometic gaskets ?
ss3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
if you are using ARP because of the lube they use to install the studs I'm sure you have to go higher
Fed,
Actually using the ARP lube typically requires LESS torque on the same fastener. A torque wrench basically measures friction and the ARP lube makes less friction so it requires less torque to get the same stretch on the fastener.

That being said, the torque shown for ARP head studs with their lube is 80 ft lbs so if the Rick only torqued them to 75 that is really not enough. Also depends on the brand of studs and what lube was used on them.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Rick,

Are they ARP studs ? Did you use ARP lube or just oil ? If they are ARP studs the torque spec is 80 lb ft with ARP lube. If you used oil it would be higher.

I personally think that the finish would really have to be bad to make them leak. If you could see some of the factory cylinder head finishes that I see you would understand why I say that. They are pretty terrible yet they don't leak. I always put the proper finish on them when I machine them but I don't know if it is your problem.

Now if the deck or the heads have low spots in them I could see it.

Years ago one of the Fel Pro performance engineers told me to do the following when torqueing race engine heads.
1. Torque the heads as usual to the correct torque.
2. Let them sit overnight
3. Start with the first bolt in the pattern, loosen it 1/2 turn and then torque it back to specs in one step. Continue through the pattern one bolt at a time doing the same thing.

This method works much better than just putting your toque wrench on and re-torqueing the fastener because typically the breakaway torque to get the bolt or nut moving again is a lot more than the final torque spec.

If you try this, mark one of the bolts or nuts before you loosen it. Then re-torque it and see how much more it turns. I typically see close to 1/8 turn.

I do this on almost every engine I do and have basically not had any head gasket issues.