HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Default Oil,

How many racer have switched to synthetic oil,and why did you find a performance gain? Longer time between changes ,did the engine look better at tear down.If you believe the oil guys it s 40 % better. so does that mean i only need to change every 2 years?. thank for any answer. Jim Hanig
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Oil,

While I haven't done dedicated comparisons, I have personally seen several benefits in the course of my switch to Amsoil synthetics over the years. I've read and seen enough elsewhere to convince me to switch and stay with it. My engine builder's recommendation was al major factor.

* An obvious operating temp. difference cruising down the highway when I went from Rotella 15-40 to Amsoil 15w-40 on a '92 Dodge diesel dually as well as a slight mileage increase. My 2004 mileage was slowly improving due to break-in before & after the switch to synthetics before 20.000, so I don't know how much was attributed to the oil. It leveled out around 30,000.

* While some of it may be a result of viscosity, when I switch from conventional 30w oil for break-in oil to 5w-20 Dominator race oil, I have to turn the idle down on the race car.

* My transmission builder has said to keep using whatever I'm using in my transmissions when I bring them in for freshening after several years even though he has his own recommendation.

* My differential guy has also said the same thing. Bearings are often reused when the ring & pinion are replaced.

* Less wheel bearing issues on my heavy open trailer and stayed with it on my enclosed trailers.

There are "different" synthetics to watch for and each manufacturer has their own recommendations. But racing is a harsh environment so I wouldn't suggest "extended" drain intervals. There is still some wear and fuel/combustion contamination. I run the IHRA circuit and several Stock/SS association and bracket races during a season and change the oil several times..

If you haven't seen it, this site may provide some interesting reading.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 06-27-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Barnstorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil,

We took a"poll" at the Nationals a few years back on synthetic oil and Mobil One was the one most mentioned. A lot less than most.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

I went from regular oil to Joe Gibbs 10-30 synthetic and picked up 3 hundreths in the 1/8th, if that helps.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
We took a"poll" at the Nationals a few years back on synthetic oil and Mobil One was the one most mentioned. A lot less than most.
sorry not sure what your reply means
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Rsmith38

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

20 degrees lower oil temp in a street Jeep stroker motor switching from conventional to synthetic (I was using Mobil 1 - available and not that expensive), This is a light loaded motor - not a racing engine - so if it reduces friction that much it is probably worth more in a performance engine!
Rsmith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
I went from regular oil to Joe Gibbs 10-30 synthetic and picked up 3 hundreths in the 1/8th, if that helps.
Randy was it the same weight oil 10x30 to 10x30 . I have tried every thing from 0x5 to 10x30 not one time did i see any gain.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
"a lot less than most"?

Jim, 10W30 Valvoline to 0W10 Royal Puple "Race9" is normally 7 hundredths in mine.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 06-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
Randy was it the same weight oil 10x30 to 10x30 . I have tried every thing from 0x5 to 10x30 not one time did i see any gain.
Yes. It helped me, but not scientific. Tried it in 3 different cars, with three different engines, and about 3 hundreths on all 3 combos.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Barnstorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
sorry not sure what your reply means
I Meant to say less expensive than most but performed just as well.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote