HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2021, 11:58 PM   #1
jkblade

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default SS Engine Lease?

Is it possible to lease or rent a SBC engine for SS? I have a GT legal car but it's set up for Super Street and we've been kicking around the idea of running a couple of SS races with it but not enough to justify the cost of buying an engine.
jkblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:53 AM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts
Default Re: SS Engine Lease?

Possible: However, I have never heard of it
happening.

Occasionally we will loan a car to someone (for a fee) but will
never considered a engine. A lot of work for a race or two
easier to loan out the whole car and have it under our
watchful eyes,

I know the Pro Stock guys lease engines but it is not Cheap
as I understand.

My .02 worth
GTX JOHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I heard ProStock racers leased engines at something like $40,000 per race day. Given that a SS motor is a 20-40 grand build cost, I would expect a $25.000 cash deposit on top of any rental fee.

I would convert the SST motor to SS and kill switch the delay box. One car could run SS, SST and Pro.We have Nationally competitive SST racers out here who foot brake in bracket races. Nice flexible class.
Liked
Old 02-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Don't do it ! We did exactly as your contemplating, and it cost me twenty years ! LOL
We mentioned to Joey Wilkes that I would like to try SS. We had the car, but like you was running SST. Joey said " We have extras ! Try one of ours..". Joey and I worked out a deal, 2000 dollars for four races. I told my brother John about it and he says "what happens if you blow it up". I told John that Joey said not to worry about it,. John wants no part of that until he hears it for himself, so we head over to Joeys (we both live in the same town). John ask him about it, and Joeys answer was " I've seen him race several times". If its gonna blow up, its gonna blow up on whoever's driving, whether its me or him.. So I'll eat it." So that afternoon we're putting a new SS engine (a 993) in our car. Our first time out was a points race at Quaker City. On the second pass, the rods come flying out of the 993. Joey was about four or five pair behind me, so he was aware the downtime at the track being "from the new guy". Cell phones were just becoming commonplace, and Raymond was sitting in the stands.(Joeys Dad). He called Joey and ask "How bad did Jeff just blow up our motor"? . Joey tells him "how the heck do I know, I'm strapped in the car!" . I'm still at the bottom end, with a huge puddle of oil under the car. My brother shows up, and while looking over the holes in the pan says " Well little brother, your Superstock career was short lived huh?". We were discussing what Joey was going to say, as 2000 didn't even start to cover the damage that I just caused. Joey makes pass, pulls over behind us in the shutdown area, and while walking up and witnessing the oil under the car chuckles "Did that junk Rossler Transmission take a ***** on you! "? LOL. I answered nope.. He says, "Well your gonna be busy tonight". I assumed that he wanted his motor back, and this deal was over. I knew he had a crane in his rig, so I figured we would just pull the broken engine out and head home. To my utter surprise, Joey says " We will have to put my spare in (a 624). He says, its about 15 hundredths faster than that 993... I bout fell over.....So did John. That was 20 years ago, and that weekend has a lot to do with our addictiveness of this class.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: SS Engine Lease?

Jeff,

That is one of the coolest things I've ever read.

I could shift a manual transmission, but was a poor engine builder, chassis builder and whatever else. I was always amazed at the racers who would step up and help me. I guess because I tried and always said "thank you".

It cost me an easy 15 years.

Loren
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Neat story. Bottom line, especially for us old guys (who remember true sportsmanship), if you lend a guy something (trans, converter, engine, etc.) and it breaks, you have no real cause to be angry. If the guy you're loaning it to doesn't know how to treat it properly, you shouldn't be lending it to him in the first place. But if you lend it to a "qualified" (experienced) individual and it scatters, you should view it just exactly like you blew it up. Because we know the engine didn't have the ability to ascertain that a "stranger" was behind the wheel, and then "teach him a lesson" by blowing-up.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote