HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Classifieds > Race Rigs/Equipment: Classifieds

Old 03-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: motor Home power

6-7 mpg is unbearable to contemplate for me. The Ford transit hightop tows 7500 easily with the twin turbo and gets 15-16. Hope to have one soon!!
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

For us the worst time we had with our gas burner was towing and getting fuel. Sometimes a real pain in the..... That's racing!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 383 Times in 98 Posts

All with common sense. The ford V10 at this time is your only gas choice . Yes there noisey and rev high . But used properly do a "OK" job The workhorse 8.1 coupled withe the Allison on the 22k chassi awesome probably the best gas choice in its day. However workhorse chassi's are out of buisness and parts for the chassi ie brakes and shocks are getting hard to find. My choice would be a diesel pusher . I know COST. Personally I'd look at a good used pusher over a new or even pre owned gas. I'll probably catch alot of flack but had great luck with 275hp Cummins. I know always more hp but I understand about being on a budget and there getting to be quite a few of these coaches available now. Bigger chassis, better braking , much better ride and storage. Just my 2 cents from being in the buisness for over 40 years .

MarcLaBrecque
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

Marc could add to this but my guess, and it is just that, is that a high percentage of the extra cost of a diesel would be recouped on resale.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I have a 2010 Class C that's only 25-26 feet long. 5 Speed Auto....O/D
Pulls my 26' trailer fine and up any hill. Yes they do RPM pretty high if you push them....I make mine stay as low rpm as I can.....by making it shift up quick as I can.
I don't know the total weight of my trailer but it's not real heavy and I'm racing a dragster so it's pretty moderate weight.

My MH is an E-450 chassis with big brakes and stops better than my diesel pickup pulling the same trailer.

There are 2 versions of the V10's
2 valve head rated around 305hp
3 valve head rated around 360hp

My MH is 305hp and from what I read before I bought it, all class C's WERE using that version. I don't know if that's still true or if they ever changed that.

The newer class A's with V10's have the higher HP engine package.

My MH has 4.56 rear gears and hums along at around 2500-2600 at 65-70......Fuel Mileage is probably around 7-8 at best.

They do make an E-450 chassis with a diesel but I've never seen one other than an older one from the '90's.....Winnebago built some....

Most of those diesel engined chassis' are used for small busses and specialty vehicles.....ambulances.....

I service Onan generators so I see every kind of MH you can think of.....
One customer I have buys 30' MH's to rent and he renews his fleet every 2-3 years.....

They are all E-450's with V10's....
Old 04-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #16
Jim Lodi jr

Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I have a 2010 Class C that's only 25-26 feet long. 5 Speed Auto....O/D
Pulls my 26' trailer fine and up any hill. Yes they do RPM pretty high if you push them....I make mine stay as low rpm as I can.....by making it shift up quick as I can.
I don't know the total weight of my trailer but it's not real heavy and I'm racing a dragster so it's pretty moderate weight.

My MH is an E-450 chassis with big brakes and stops better than my diesel pickup pulling the same trailer.

There are 2 versions of the V10's
2 valve head rated around 305hp
3 valve head rated around 360hp

My MH is 305hp and from what I read before I bought it, all class C's WERE using that version. I don't know if that's still true or if they ever changed that.

The newer class A's with V10's have the higher HP engine package.

My MH has 4.56 rear gears and hums along at around 2500-2600 at 65-70......Fuel Mileage is probably around 7-8 at best.

They do make an E-450 chassis with a diesel but I've never seen one other than an older one from the '90's.....Winnebago built some....

Most of those diesel engined chassis' are used for small busses and specialty vehicles.....ambulances.....

I service Onan generators so I see every kind of MH you can think of.....
One customer I have buys 30' MH's to rent and he renews his fleet every 2-3 years.....

They are all E-450's with V10's....
I was looking at the same size motor home that you are towing with I'm looking at a 2018 or 19 model with the V10. How do you feel this would tow with a 3300 lb car in a24 tag enclosed
Old 04-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 383 Times in 98 Posts
Smile Re: motor Home power

Jim I've sold alot of 22' to 26' Class C motor homes that do the job "OK". Couple things , to keep the GVCW down I wouldn't do a slide room , make sure you get a 450 chassi some manufacturer's are building on 350 chassi's of course if you find a 550 almost impossible great.Lastly and most important try to get the longest frame you can typically you can find a 22'24' with a 158" WB. Make sure you get the frame extension strengthened ( fish plate the rear frame extension). Good luck , great time to buy a RV!
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

My Sunseeker is a 2300 and it's the shortest wheelbase and shortest overall length E450 they make.

The next size up is a better option. It is 2' longer both wheelbase and overall length....same E450 chassis. The longer wheelbase I am sure would be more desirable but those models do usually have a slide adding weight.

The newer Class C's have a much better rear frame area back to the rear bumper/hitch. I look at them all when I'm doing generator work.

I spent a full afternoon adding metal to mine at the rear frame right out to the hitch. I also added rear air bags and Bilstein front shocks and steering dampner. I boxed the c channel frame and added cross bracing and tied it right to the hitch and added some metal to the hitch it self....

I bought the MH in 2014 and have had zero issues with anything back there. I look things over regularly......

Last year I bought an Equalizer brand hitch to replace my 30 year old Reese. The new hitch is better for sure. a 14,000lb rated weight distributing and sway control hitch.

Towing is generally fine but on a highway at speed with trucks on me or on a windy day you have to slow down and give them the road....They will push you around and it can get dicey....

My Sunseeker is flat sided and over 11' tall...….a big sail in the wind. If it's windy you have to slow down.....That probably applies to even much bigger MH's...….

Went to Numidia 2 years ago and it was a rough tow with the wind and rough road out RT 80.....I wasn't the only one who mentioned how bad that one was. One of my friends with a big Class A V-10 unit said he was all over the road and hanging on.....The ride home was no probem…..no wind!

If I had room and could swing it I'd have something much better for towing but I have to make do with what I have.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 04-08-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #19
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

My mh is a Thor Axis 25.2 model. 26.5 overall length and a 194" wheelbase. It's built on a E450 chassis.Yes as Rich said in can be a handful in windy conditions.....just slowing down is a big help.Pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.Rear track bar was a big help along with a good front end alignment.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
Jim Lodi jr

Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaBrecque View Post
Jim I've sold alot of 22' to 26' Class C motor homes that do the job "OK". Couple things , to keep the GVCW down I wouldn't do a slide room , make sure you get a 450 chassi some manufacturer's are building on 350 chassi's of course if you find a 550 almost impossible great.Lastly and most important try to get the longest frame you can typically you can find a 22'24' with a 158" WB. Make sure you get the frame extension strengthened ( fish plate the rear frame extension). Good luck , great time to buy a RV!
I was looking at the Thor similar to like Glen mentioned do you have a website for your inventory