HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts
Default ID this honing machine

I called the guy and he says it doesn't have a brand name anywhere he can see, I'm going to look at it Thursday as it's a few miles from my doctor that I'm going to see. Thanks for any replies, Paul.
http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/5371603417.html
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: ID this honing machine

Axe. Decent piece, uses Sunnen AN style stones. Takes some serious work and experimentation. If the right person develops a feel for it, you can turn out decent work with it. But you will absolutely work yourself half to death to do it. Don't buy it thinking you're going to turn out CK 10 or CV 616 level work with it, at least not without a super human effort.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Kwik Way or KW Products as it is now known. You have to stroke them by hand. One of my buddies had a machine just like that about 25 years ago. really not for high end performance work.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Paul Precht

The guy bought it a few years ago with a Van Norman 777 which he didn't know how to use, I have a 777 and they require some talent to master. He rehoned 2 blocks with it and never touched it again. I told him a Peterson air assist in clean condition can be had for that price with a little searching and if the price was not firm I would check it out and make an offer if I thought I could use it, he seamed very happy to have someone interested. If my old house sells this year I'll have a CK 10 and will get an old Stewart Warner balancer another great old machine that requires some user talent. I'll be retired later this year so I'm getting the shop ready to roll again, I'll be like a kid on an endless summer vacation.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

If your retiring you don't want that machine you will work yourself to death. Get your CK 10 you will be much happier.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

I'm a little reluctant to say this, but I'm going ahead. I think it needs to be said. First, Read everything you can about honing and honing procedures.
Well, Thanks guys. I guess I'm "Super Human" I bought a new AXE years ago and used it till late 90's and went to a CK-10, sold my CK 10 in 2005 and went back to the AXE. I sold the CK 10 to Frank Parks and he loves it. Then in 2013 I bought a Rottler with the diamond set up and Sunnen stone head...
Here is the deal. It takes time and patience as well as having a feel for what you are working on. I've been manual honing blocks since 1969( in a tank I built with a roll over fixture and a fluid pump and filter) and I (personal issues) would rather have the "Feel" than the automatic. It is total BS that these machines don't put out good work. The automatic CAN be more consistent in some cases. I still have my AXE and have taken MC cylinders out of it and blued them and "dusted" them in the Rottler with the same last grit and there is not a dimes difference. The Diamonds do make a difference.These machines are just like anything else, the person that uses it is the key. It is my opinion that the shop that has high volume and an employee needs to have the automatic machine. Let it knock the work out and go on. If you are a one or two man shop and have 4 hours to do a block right, get it. The real deal with honing Automatic & Manual is learning to control Speed of the stroke and load of the stone to get the proper degree angle & surface finish. There is a lot to it and I think every shop needs a good profilometer ( there are differences in those, too) to check work he is doing. I really like sitting and watching my Rottler work, but by spending so many years doing it manual it keeps me from making big mistakes that the automatic machine can do for you. (remember the operator) Don't let anybody scare you off if a manual fits your needs and your abilities. You can't be a hack or butcher with one and get good results. You have too have a feel for it. Ok, let all the experts flame away!! That includes you too Carl. I expect you know more about it than anyone.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 02-03-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #7
richie 2

Liked 157 Times in 73 Posts

I hear ya adger, well said. Ive had a manual (lateral air assisted) VAN NORMAN for 35 yrs. in a two man shop. the only reason it's for sale now is im cutting back on the in/house workload & finding more time for assembly to get the jobs finished and paid for.... $3500.00 if anybody interested.

Last edited by richie 2; 02-03-2016 at 07:53 AM.
richie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Paul Precht

Thanks for all the info guys, I know the difference between the CK and an air assist but figured if the guy was willing to take a low offer I might grab it, he's been trying to sell it for about three months now and the fact that it's filthy isn't in his favor, Paul.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

X2 on Adger's reply.
It takes practice and skill to use hones with AN sunnen hone head,but can do good work with them,I have used CV-616 it is more operator friendly,but I was experienced with AN head hone first.
I have peterson hone that has air powered stroke,when needed let off pedal and manually operate at times,I had one that had air assist you pulled down and air cylinder helped push back up.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
richie 2

Liked 157 Times in 73 Posts

hey paul you could bore/hone lots of blocks and have some income. $325 around here for that. farm out the degrease/decking and your ready for assembly......I believe the 777 bar and the hone cleaned up (new sunnen head, that's good) is a great combo...

Last edited by richie 2; 02-03-2016 at 12:14 PM.
richie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote