HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default Musical Tastes

As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Brewer and Shipley, Pure Prairie League, Jackson Browne, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 06-10-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 829 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Musical Tastes

Lets see how this goes.
I honestly try to listen to some of the new stuff. Once in a while I really hear something that hits a nerve. But it's a one hit wonder, not that the band only had one hit, but I only liked one of their cuts. If it don't have a kick drum, lead guitar riff, and vocals that you can at least partly understand, I'm out. That's one reason I never liked Springsteen. He sounds like he has a mouth full of dog s**t. I'll start off with this one. It was 1976. I was asked to go to a Genesis concert that a buddy had tickets to. I'd had not heard of them and I didn't go. At the time, I was all rock and roll like most other guys in my town of Zanesville.... Aerosmith, Bad Company, Electric Light Company, Foghat were typical albums in my rack. At the time I was driving an 69 Camaro L-88 and trying to be Fonzy. I had the car, just not the girls to go along with it. Every Friday,
when I got off work, the kid I ran with and I would take our paychecks and head to the state liquor store. We would both buy a fifth, and then head to one of three record stores in town. We would buy a couple albums for " the weekend". Since co -worker Shane had mentioned Genesis, I picked up their newest release.This Genesis album I'm about to p[lay did not get played that weekend. I worked 2nd shift, and after getting home after midnight I put this album on for a try. It was late, and I had a couple young girls living next door that had to work the next day, so volume was moderate.What I heard changed my taste in music to this day. Track after track I thought to myself " what the hell did I just listen to". I later discovered I had stumbled on the beginnings of progressive rock. Have a listen. This is off of Wind and Weathering. I actually like the previous one best, Trick of the Tail

Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

Mark,
If we get back to live concerts someday, when these guys come to your area, go see them. We go every year, they pack every place they go, and they play the smaller venues. Its a awesome show. You wont be disappointed. Its like walking back in a 1980's album.....you can't beat it for 50 bucks

Old 06-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Tahoe normally has a really great outdoor venue every year. We have seen Paul Simon, James Taylor, Peter Frampton and Chris Stapleton with Steve Miller. But not this year, so with the move we will be back in SoCal and Fantasy Springs will have to do, we have seen CSN&Y and Heart there.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
Tahoe normally has a really great outdoor venue every year. We have seen Paul Simon, James Taylor, Peter Frampton and Chris Stapleton with Steve Miller. But not this year, so with the move we will be back in SoCal and Fantasy Springs will have to do, we have seen CSN&Y and Heart there.
Eddie, Are you still in Smith? Are you going to Fallon this weekend?
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Jeff, I'm usually not a big fan of cover bands, but I will do one for tomorrow's video

I left out a few in my earlier list of influences, so I will edit them in. I do like many other genres , so you might be surprised later on.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Eddie, Are you still in Smith? Are you going to Fallon this weekend?

We have two weeks before closing, stuff is starting to get packed. Everything is up in the air. I know Bill O'Conner talked about going but that is all I have heard. Moving to the place were all the ole folks go...Palm Springs area i.e. Rancho Mirage.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
We have two weeks before closing, stuff is starting to get packed. Everything is up in the air. I know Bill O'Conner talked about going but that is all I have heard. Moving to the place were all the ole folks go...Palm Springs area i.e. Rancho Mirage.
I'm in Fernley at the moment, so I'll be there. Not a great spectator, but I've never been there, so why not?
Catch you down the road then...Be safe
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Jeff, I'm usually not a big fan of cover bands, but I will do one for tomorrow's video

I left out a few in my earlier list of influences, so I will edit them in. I do like many other genres , so you might be surprised later on.
I hate cover bands too . Ok for your local bar, but that's about it. I was dragged to my first one. Wow, ...go see them
Old 06-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
I'm in Fernley at the moment, so I'll be there. Not a great spectator, but I've never been there, so why not?
Catch you down the road then...Be safe

It is going to be Fontana and Irwindale once the smoke clears. Try the Slanted Porch in Fallon for good food, it is on the 95 South. It will be great to be back with ole friends: Tony, Greg, Bill, John and Gary.

Last edited by Eddies66; 06-10-2020 at 08:01 PM.