HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Shadylane

Liked 123 Times in 40 Posts
Default Stocker Clutch Linkage

Can someone tell me what clutch linkage setup guys or gals are using in Fox Body Mustang stockers? I know hydraulic are not legal.
Thx, Kelly
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 951 Times in 262 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Clutch Linkage

I have an adjustable cable on my 85 Mustang. Cable is how the FOXs came from the factory.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Shadylane

Thanks Rory, do you use an aftermarket quadrant and cable? If so what brand?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Many guys do use an aftermarket non self adjusting quadrant with an adjustable cable, but on my cars, I prefer the early FOX setup, which never had a quadrant. Instead of a quadrant, the clutch pedal has a lever with a pin, the early cable has an eyelet that fits this pin, and has a threaded section at the clutch fork end, for adjusting. I have not installed it yet, but I recently bought a BBK adjustable piece that replaces the rubber grommet in the firewall, where the clutch cable goes thru. With long tube headers, adjusting the cable under the car is a bit of a pain, more so if the engine and headers are hot. Finding the early pedals is getting harder, I think that self adjusting quadrant came out around 81 or 82, so you need to find a 78-80? Fairmont/Zephyr, or 79-80? Mustang/Capri. But if you already have the later pedal setup, I would just go with the aftermarket stuff. Regardless, make sure that you route the clutch cable away from the header tubes as much as possible. I used a couple of studs for oil pan bolts, and used rubber lined Adel clamps to keep the cable tight to the side of the block.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #5
Sean Marconette

Liked 182 Times in 62 Posts

Steeda quadrant with firewall adjuster on mine, and adjustable cable as well. The clutch fork with a Long style clutch is where you will get into trouble.

What bellhousing, clutch, transmission?

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Shadylane

Transmission is a Jerico, Quicktime bell, McLeod softloc. I figured it may be a challenge with this set up. I have a pedal out of a 79 Fairmont.
I wondered about building linkage using a Z bar setup but im not sure if its legal.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Like Sean mentioned, with the cable setup, and a Long style clutch, like the McLeod Soft Lok, the factory fork will not work inside the tight confines of the bellhousing. My 85 Mustang also uses a Jerico and a McLeod Soft Lok, my clutch has a 164 tooth flywheel and 10" disc, I use a McLeod bellhousing. I understand that the small bell diameter of the Quick Time bellhousing requires the use of a smaller 157 tooth flywheel, so I can`t speak as to how the fork clearance is with the QT. I use a special McLeod clutch fork, which is basically a stock looking fork that has been reworked to allow the fork to clear the much taller Long style pressure plate. Even with the thinner, reshaped fork, an adjustable ball stud is needed, and its quite a juggling job to make it all fit in there, and provide adequate travel of the fork. The 79 Fairmont clutch pedal is the same as what |I use, use a cable for a 79 Fairmont or Mustang with a 302 engine.
As for mechanical clutch linkage in a FOX, I don`t think that would be legal for Stock, but I did make my own mechanical clutch linkage for my 428 FE powered 78 Fairmont bracket car. It was not that easy, as the high front frame rails and narrowness between the rails leaves little width for a cross shaft (Z Bar, equalizer bar) between the frame rail and engine. Plus the firewall is closer to the engine that say an 67-70 Mustang. My Fairmont also uses a Jerico and Soft Lok, and I prefer the feel and travel of the mechanical linkage, but if NHRA doesn`t allow non OE style clutch linkage in Stock, its a moot point.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Sean Marconette

Liked 182 Times in 62 Posts

http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...Clutch+linkage

Post #35
Page 4

You may want to look through what was done on this build. Nice workmanship.

The issue will be the bellhousing you have is a pull style for a cable. The geometry will be a challenge, and may provide header clearance issues in a fox body. A cable can be made to work

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Shadylane

Thanks for the link, I remember following that build.
Looks like I'll be looking for a large bellhousing.