HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #51
Mark Howes

Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: New Indexs are up

No weight break in SS/AH either

Why do you think so many autos have converted to sticks the last few years...

Not because they are less work or easier for sure

Last edited by Mark Howes; 01-31-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: .
Mark Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #52
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Jeff, if you could just point out where I ever claimed to be fast, I would appreciate it. Really would. Ricky Decker and Jeff Dona are very fast with the same combo I run. I piece my stuff together best I can, with what I can afford. I do the best I can. When a Challenger like yours, with the same engine you run (just much faster) running Ricky for class (SS/IA) at Indy 2013 starts whopping the throttle, playing with Decker from the 1/8th mile to the end. That tells most intelligent people that engine (same engine you run) is badley under-rated. Like myself, maybe your just not as fast as you should be? Might want to hire Sonny Stancil and James Caro to help you out. Their stuff is fast. Unlike you, I can't afford to hire help, so I will just have to continue to be slow.

Many (including myself) believe factory race engines (at least the heads, etc) like you have, don't belong in the same classes with production cars that used pump gas and passed emissions testing, got good gas mileage, etc, etc.

So, now you are whining about no more easy class wins & heads-ups. Your going to have to try to outrun other DPs.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #53
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
....at least the heads, etc....
What are you talking about? The vast majority of the new car combinations use production heads.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #54
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

The 360" Drag Pack has bigger valves, more compression, intake manifold and 1000 cfm throttle body that comes on no production car. How do you like your new class? :-)
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 PM   #55
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
How do you like your new class? :-)
Ed,

You really are one of God's special people. The classes are what they are. I am not happy with how things look for some combinations, but I will do OK. I have been working on my stuff. How about you?

Daren
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 PM   #56
spike1

Liked 53 Times in 16 Posts

I really don't give a rats behind about being in a Factory class or not, that's up to others and NHRA, I just don't care( I'll race till it is not fun anymore or too old to race). Just would have liked NHRA to get it right because it is coming to all the SS and Stock, as far as combing stick and auto. So with that said, what would you guys with the older cars do if next year your classes were combined? Would you like to be for running off the stick(or auto) index if it was, .1 or .2 or more, quicker? Would you be good with a car, same combo, with different trans(stick or auto) with different HP in same class but 250 lbs lighter? Should stick and auto (same combo) have different HP factor or averaged out so both are in same class with same HP (same weight)? Again I am fine with Factory classes, most wanted it including many new car owners, but thought they would at least get combining the stick/auto right. And yes Mike, its not right, but life's not fair or so they say.
spike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #57
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

I don't understand those classes being combined. Saves on class trophys, I guess.
Doesn't seem right.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #58
Dyno

Liked 605 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howes View Post
No weight break in SS/AH either

Why do you think so many autos have converted to sticks the last few years...

Not because they are less work or easier for sure
Mark, I sent a letter to NHRA about the SS/AH index and we were denied a change. If there are 26 Hemi cars at Indy(2014) for the Shootout and the fastest of the cars qualifies 100th, there needs a change.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #59
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

OK Ed, let me get this logic right. I work on my stuff as do a couple other guys with this 360 that came in 1971 the first time. It runs OK, won class in Indy by .011 was faster by .03 than my opponent. In your class with your combo, there are people 6 tenths faster, 4 tenths faster, 3 tenths faster and on and on, same car, same motor, but I'm the bad guy. My bank can make you a loan for parts or study under Ricky Decker(the apparent fast guy), or whatever. I want to help you in your time of need. My two daughters who are both licensed to do something in the human head field (not to be confused with the 360 head with the big valves and flow numbers) said I should reach out to you. I'm really trying to be helpful here. FS/B (B/FX) new and old cars heads up no AHFS? Wow, old cars with no AHFS. How about C/FX @ 8.25 lbs? All old cars.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #60
SPS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lot of stuff here to look at.
I'll start with the stick vs automatic at the same index.

Look at the super mod and mod class rules. The automatics get a 5% reduction in weight over a similarly classed stick car.
This rule has been in effect for years and was refined to this point to be competitive for both.
Heck, I'm probably one of the only guys that ever did this test back to back on the same day and track. And that was with a manual shifted trans.
A monkey can drive a clutchless, so the 5% may not be enough, but it sure would be a good place to start.

NHRA appears to be blind to this minor change that would satisfy all. Especially before the smart guys all buy clutchless 5 speeds and make the others look dumb.

I also think the "automatic factoring" system is broken.
No way there should be such a spread in hp between the stick and auto combos.
The motor on the dyno has absolutely no idea which car its going into and what trans is being used.
HP is HP. Simple .
When the powers in charge get some real data (flow testing and dyno figures), then and only then will you have real data to go by.

Yea, I'm only dreaming......but it will be the correct way to factor all motors.
Then the guy who works the hardest and gets results should and will be the fastest. (theoretically speaking).

Oh, yea....take the damn 1000' numbers off the time tickets too.
No more game players.

FJ
SPS is offline   Reply With Quote