HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Question Mopar Mechanical Oil Pump Volumes 383 etyc

Anybody have an idea of the volume's and pressure's of there various pumps for the various B, and RB wedge engines ! Or what could be the cause of too MUCH oil pressure ? This on my SS Hemi, which has a Milodon dual line oil system ! I have 85# at idle, and over 110 when you wing the gas ! ! I've changed springs etc ! I've have been told to take the Milodon pump out and replace it with a stock pump but use the Milodon cover, and filter mount, and dual pickup ! That scares me ! Anybody have any ideas, this is a Fresh Rebuild ! ...John
Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Mopar Mechanical Oil Pump Volumes 383 etyc

weight/viscosity of oil ---are you using only Castrol/Mobil1/Red Line/ Royal Purple oils and NON synthetics for the break in? ----tight clearances when rebuilt--restriction in the system lines kinked too many bends etc.---wrong oil filter restricting the oil--- too high a relief spring--- did you open up the oil passage on the pump to 1/2 inch from 3/8 inch ?-- remember pressure IS NOT Volume!!! restrictions increase pressure--also might contact 440source.com for their adjustable oil pump pressure regulator--- part # 200-1093 $24.95--- tele 775-883-2590---FED 387

Last edited by FED 387; 08-10-2015 at 12:43 PM.
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
shumate65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my back up pump on Ebay for sale. It is a high volume pump from Westcott that is good. It will run 55-60 down track and 35-40 at idle with race oil. Just selling off all my extra stuff to fix my new piece that I broke at Columbus. John, Ollie, and Dave can rest easy at Indy.
shumate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lang View Post
Anybody have an idea of the volume's and pressure's of there various pumps for the various B, and RB wedge engines ! Or what could be the cause of too MUCH oil pressure ? This on my SS Hemi, which has a Milodon dual line oil system ! I have 85# at idle, and over 110 when you wing the gas ! ! I've changed springs etc ! I've have been told to take the Milodon pump out and replace it with a stock pump but use the Milodon cover, and filter mount, and dual pickup ! That scares me ! Anybody have any ideas, this is a Fresh Rebuild ! ...John
Years ago Alan Lee built a low deck 500 for me and I took him what I thought would be best for a 7500RPM B motor. I sent him a fancy 10qt Charlie's pan with the kick outs, the dual swinging pick up and the Milodon pump. He told me that just about all of it was not necessary and basically gave me the same advice you were given.
A coupe things he said in particular was that the big pump just eats horsepower and the pan was way overkill for that particular B engine because they have really good drain back characteristics .
As for the pressure issue it may be an issue with the bypass/pressure relief circuit flow capacity.

BTW that engine worked just fine with the Milodon pick up and stock pump.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Just a note to THANK all of you for the response's, I have also changed Gauges be for I change pumps tomorrow ! ..Thanks again, Race Safely and have a good time ! John
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
rickseeman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To fix the high oil pressure, the easiest way out is to put an externally adjustable relief valve in the oil pump replacing the stock spring setup. Only takes a few minutes. Milodon and 440 source offer them. $20 and you are done.
rickseeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I have had the adjustable valve and reset everything, and it dropped from 85# at idle to 63# at idle ! But when you winged the throttle the pressure still would go over 110# !!!! I've talked to several well known Hemi builders and was told to get a Stock pressure oil pump, and use the Milodon cover and filter mount ! I blocked off one of the oil pickup's in the oil pan, and I don't have the new pump yet, possibly Sat ! Thanks again, I'll post after I get the new pump setup ! I've raced Mopar's for years as in 30+ years and never had this problem ! Wish me luck !!! John
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Barnstorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lang View Post
Drag your engine builder over to Union Grove and put a hit on the car.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Oil Problem fixed ! 383 pump, w/milodon , cover, etc. ! 72# pressure at idle, 80# when you hit the throttle up to 4000 ! Temp at 130 ! ...John