HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 03-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #1001
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Gonna have a few days of slow rolling here (other stuff to do) so not much will be done. Today, got pretty much everything buttoned up, balancer, bolted the vc spacers on, filled it with oil and pre-lubed it, threw the valve covers on plus the distributor and wires at it. Gonna try to be back on it Saturday.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #1002
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Todd,
You might find that if you have the operator set the "inertia factor" to about 0.6 to 0.7 it might be easier to compare numbers to those that have other dynos such as SuperFlow models. Might be interesting for you to ask what they normally use.

The dyno owners have that option even if they have SF electronics installed (but it doesn't look like it in the photos).

Always fun to see your work tested on a dyno. Makes it more fun when you put the engine in the car for runs down the track.

Good Luck to you and Autumn.

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #1003
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Todd,
You might find that if you have the operator set the "inertia factor" to about 0.6 to 0.7 it might be easier to compare numbers to those that have other dynos such as SuperFlow models. Might be interesting for you to ask what they normally use.

The dyno owners have that option even if they have SF electronics installed (but it doesn't look like it in the photos).

Always fun to see your work tested on a dyno. Makes it more fun when you put the engine in the car for runs down the track.

Good Luck to you and Autumn.

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Pretty excited to get to tuning, I have some experience as a dyno operator (I used to own a chassis dyno) and I try not to get to caught up in the numbers game, I just want to see gains and losses via tuning and hopefully the cars performance will reflect.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #1004
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Got in a little work today, heat cycling piston coating, breaking in cam, re-checking everything under the valve covers etc. Back at it for a few hours tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #1005
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Todd,
Seeing the type of dyno equipment you are testing on makes a suggestion possible.............Dyno tach will be accurate SO,

You can take the tachometer off the car and test it against the dyno instrumentation. That will give you some data that is worthwhile on the track. Even the best electronic tachometers are +/- 5% full scale devices. Do the math on whatever the full scale value is.....can make quite a difference on the track.
Not many folks know that little fact and they assume the high dollar tach they bought is spot on....don't guess, test.

Have a great time testing!

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1006
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

A data acquisition system would be your best asset.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #1007
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

A Tach can easily be tested in the car. Use an MSD tester that allows you to fire the ignition without the engine running. I’ve had tachs that I knew were off and the MSD tester confirmed it. One was off 200 rpm at lower rpms and 400 or more at higher rpms. That was not the first one I’ve had that was off. The tester can test anything rpm related and the ignition itself. I keep it in my trailer toolbox....I don’t recall the part number. Easy to find though. I also have a grid controller in my car and it records all runs for time and rpm ....another good item but not as good as a data recorder ...
Liked
Old 03-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #1008
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Todd,
Seeing the type of dyno equipment you are testing on makes a suggestion possible.............Dyno tach will be accurate SO,

You can take the tachometer off the car and test it against the dyno instrumentation. That will give you some data that is worthwhile on the track. Even the best electronic tachometers are +/- 5% full scale devices. Do the math on whatever the full scale value is.....can make quite a difference on the track.
Not many folks know that little fact and they assume the high dollar tach they bought is spot on....don't guess, test.

Have a great time testing!

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Great advice.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #1009
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
A data acquisition system would be your best asset.
Absolutely Glenn, got one, I just need to get it all installed.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #1010
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
A Tach can easily be tested in the car. Use an MSD tester that allows you to fire the ignition without the engine running. I’ve had tachs that I knew were off and the MSD tester confirmed it. One was off 200 rpm at lower rpms and 400 or more at higher rpms. That was not the first one I’ve had that was off. The tester can test anything rpm related and the ignition itself. I keep it in my trailer toolbox....I don’t recall the part number. Easy to find though. I also have a grid controller in my car and it records all runs for time and rpm ....another good item but not as good as a data recorder ...
Is this it Rich?
https://www.holley.com/products/tool...ers/parts/8998