HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #31
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

Thank you Wayne for one of the best youtube channels out there, hope you don't mind if I've forwarded it to my Bracket Racing Facebook post. Thanks again and I look forward to your next project. How about a vehicle that can be competitive in stock and a fantastic bracket racer. Dan Fletcher just proved it with his wife's former grocery getter.A car that Billy Nees has talked in the past, a real Dime Rocket on a real budget.Claude.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #32
Wayne Scraba

Liked 147 Times in 42 Posts
Thumbs up Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

You're welcome Claude. I try my best on the YouTube videos, but unfortunately, I still split my time with Racing Junk and Summit Racing (along with a few others). As a result, I can't devote enough time to the channel to make it really rock.

As far as my next project, my Nova is still here. It was a really expensive build. Acquiring a 13,000 original mile car like this one wasn't...uh...exactly cheap. I used a ton of premium parts and the cost was high there too, so I need big dollars for the roller. It may take awhile to sell and if it doesn't, I'm perfectly comfortable keeping it in my garage.

As far as a constructing a dime rocket is concerned....While I truly respect the folks that make them fly, they're not my bag. I have no interest in building one.

Again, thanks for the compliments Claude!

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 06-22-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Wayne Scraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #33
Wayne Scraba

Smile Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

Car is still for sale but still not on sale (and I might not sell it...the thing is quite content in my garage <g>), so I'm still plunking away

I finished up the clutch linkage a few weeks ago and completed a video on it. The modified linkage isn't needed so much to compensate for bending linkage (like the old days...who can forget when everything would bend, crack and break including the firewall??? L-O-L). Instead, it's more about fixing ovaled holes, worn pins and ensuring everything operates smoothly without hiccups.

Check it out:

Old 07-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #34
Greg West

Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts

Very good video. Do you know what the pedal ratio is on your clutch linkage?

Thank you.
Greg West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #35
Wayne Scraba

No I do not. Never measured it. Links are the same length as stock (First Gen Camaro/1968-74 Nova) and it bolts in the same location on the pedal.

And thank you for the comps on the video. I appreciate it.

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 07-17-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #36
Wayne Scraba

I haven't been working much on the Nova until recently. I was going to sell it to help finance a property purchase, but that fell through (and I'm actually kind of happy because I really like the car and I also like the acreage I live in now).

One thing that really (Really!) bugged me was the setup I had on the front end. I wanted to use an aftermarket a-arm setup to gain a bunch of caster in the car (amongst other things). Previously I've used thin wall chrome moly a-arms, but they always made me nervous on a street-strip car. As a result, I went with Detroit Speed components on this Nova. They're very nice pieces. Unfortunately, the mix of hardware I had just didn't work. In order to use unmodified Detroit Speed lowers in conjunction with AFCO double adjustable shocks I had to use one of those tapered coil over springs. To make it all work, Detroit Speed suggested I set the spring on the coil over seat and stuff it up in the car. Then I was supposed to position the lower a-arm up over the shock and fasten it from the bottom. Well that turned into a real Gong Show. Here's what it looked like assembled:

Because of the design the front end really didn't have great travel. This is what the spring looks like out of the car:

So I ripped it apart again (story of my life..."no job is worth doing unless you do it twice"...L-O-L). I ground out the centre of the lower a-arms and fit a set of the AFCO shock weld rings. Here's a before photo:

Once I fit the weld rings, I had a local shop (Fisher Fabrication) weld them up (Thanks Kory you did a great job!):

Springs were next. I called Rineharts Performance (https://rinehartsperformance.com) and Marty helped me out with spring selection. As many of you know, they're a full service Santhuff dealer and Santhuff happens to offer a wide range of springs applicable to cars like mine (and yours too!). I'm waiting for the springs to arrive and then I'll button the front end back up. Marty also advised me that if I need the shocks re-valved, they can help by converting them internally to Santhuff pieces. Very interesting and definitely food for thought. We'll see how it works down the road.

Additionally, I mocked up the engine in the car. I'll show some of that down the road, but I sure did find out a lot of things (good and bad...L-O-L!).

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 11-11-2020 at 03:43 PM.