HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 408 Times in 186 Posts
Default Buying a used race car vs building own

Which do you prefer is better ? and when looking at a used race car what are the things to look for ?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Buying a used race car vs building own

I'd suggest buying one that is already built. There are a lot of good competetive race cars out there at a decent price. You will spend way more money building a new one than you thought you would.

If you buy a used one be prepared to spend some money to make it the way you want it.

You will spend 2-3 years building a new car vs. getting on the track the same year if you buy an existing car.

Try to buy a car that is currently running in NHRA/IHRA. Go to the track and ask his competetors about the car. You will be surprised how much they know about someone elses car.

Ask for doccumentation regarding all of the things the seller said he has done to the car. Ask for time slips to review the cars performance.

Check the structural integrity of the entire vehicle including the roll cage. It is most important from a safety and performance factor.

Ask when the engine, trans, and rear gear has been last freshened if at all, and who did the work.

Ask the age of all other related items like the fuel system, axles, shocks, springs, u-joints, etc. Some of this stuff may have to be replaced.

Take a couple of knowledgeable buddies with you to look the car over. The more eyes the better.

Don't fall in love with the first car you find. Look at a lot of prospects and ask a lot of questions. Take notes on the details, your memory isn't as good as you think it is.

There are a lot more things to look for beyond what is listed above, maybe someone else can give their opinion.

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: Buying a used race car vs building own

There is no-way you can build one as cheap as you can buy one...
Also most cars you buy have been down the track and have most basic problems sorted out..... Don't make the same mistake most people make, buy one running and all built and go racing... There are enough things to worry about .... Good Luck with your project...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Buying a used race car vs building own

Hands down buying a used car is the most cost effective, buying a "good" car requires a little work and investigation. Unless you have the required time and skills to do most of the build yourself. The initial cost of a good used car may seem high at first but you need to realize the price of parts and labor involved. As suggested you should not get "hung up" on one particular car, look and ask around, just because a car is not a "brand name" doesn't mean it's no good, however I'm sure there are some home built cars that are questionable. Take your time if you can and you will find a nice car worth the price.Joe
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you buy an existing race car we are not increasing our car counts,just changing drivers. It may(not always) cost more to build your own but it will be yours. If you have the skills it will save a bunch of cash.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
west coast

Liked 131 Times in 51 Posts

Buying a car is not always cheaper. I am into my car way under 10,000 bucks and ran .63 under the index at Vegas this year and still have some improvements I can make with more money the motor has a144000 miles on it. It took less than a year to build. But I enjoy building racecars. If you want the fastest car on the block sure it is cheaper to buy a used one and go racing right away which is a big plus. It all depends on what you like to do build and race or buy and race or spend alot of money on a top of the line car and be really fast but most of all have fun with it.
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

The more you do yourself, the more pride and sense of accomplishment you feel! Just like they did back in the early days. Build what you can, and you'll never be racing over your head. Educate and challenge yourself to new heights. You keep trying and do your best, and that my friend is a Winner ! Wade
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Steves68Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
If you buy a used one be prepared to spend some money to make it the way you want it.
That is somewhat true. I looked for a few months and after buying have spent less than $1000 on changes to make it what we wanted.

Quote:
You will spend 2-3 years building a new car vs. getting on the track the same year if you buy an existing car.
That was the exact reason I bought a used one.

Quote:
Try to buy a car that is currently running in NHRA/IHRA.
With current chassis certification. I suggest lower than 8.50 if you are going with a door car. With the crate engines out there it is very easy to run better than 8.50. Same with a dragster, it is very easy to go very fast these days.

Quote:
Take a couple of knowledgeable buddies with you to look the car over. The more eyes the better.
That is always true.

Steve
Steves68Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I like buying a well built used roller.....BUT you have to be carefull as your likely to be replacing a number of items once you take a close look or race it......

I have had to replace or rebuild a lot of the stuff on cars I bought....It's still cheaper than building if you find the right deal.

I bought most of my cars as rollers and I don't regret it at all.....I took them all apart anyway and built my own engines before I assembled and raced them.......

I did build a new dragster in 1998 and that was a lot of work. I did all the finish work on a basic frame and body.......and a friend painted it. A dragster is very easy compared to any door car no matter what class or categorie...
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I'll assume since this thread was started in the S-S/S area you're looking at a Stocker or S/S car? For the most part a 8.50 stickered car is sufficient for S/S, though there are a few S/S cars running quicker than 8.50, the problem is for the faster sticker you need to add quite a few tubes which adds to the Base weight of the car. Depending on the application this may not be a concern,however it's something to consider. Joe There is no doubt that you can gain a lot of pride and self satisfaction by building a race car yourself. However if you're not pretty confident in your abilities I'd leave it to someone else. No one can do everything a wise person knows their limits. Good luck

Last edited by buzzinhalfdozen; 12-08-2009 at 03:34 PM.
buzzinhalfdozen is offline   Reply With Quote