HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #41
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: TruSTART looks to level the playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoller View Post
Just a thought, but rather than delay the red lights just don't show them on handicap starts. After both cars have finished the run, display the proper win light. This would promote full run racing, might be less confusing for the fans and better entertainment. The announcer can always explain that win/loss based on reaction time.
I'm sure that was considered, Mike.
But, as soon as someone blows up an engine, causing an hour clean up, and then finds out he lost anyway, it'll change back to the earlier display, I would imagine.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #42
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Kind of an interesting take on "first and Worst" to have both lose if they both red light.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #43
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,493 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoller View Post
Just a thought, but rather than delay the red lights just don't show them on handicap starts. After both cars have finished the run, display the proper win light. This would promote full run racing, might be less confusing for the fans and better entertainment. The announcer can always explain that win/loss based on reaction time.
I think to eliminate fan confusion would be just to extend the tree divider down over the red lights so the fast driver can't see that the slow driver red lit. The true lights come on but no win lights can illuminate until both drivers have left the starting line. The only problem would be driver's with two way radios and spotters.

Other than that, this issue is not even debatable. In 6 years of being on classracer I haven't seen one logical argument as to why this shouldn't be fixed. It just took some big name racers to get it in motion. And for those that say both racers should lose when they red light, that is not how a competition works. Must be one winner and one loser. Both teams can't lose the football game tomorrow, or any other sport for that matter.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #44
Herbie Null

Liked 285 Times in 55 Posts
Thumbs up Re: TruSTART looks to level the playing field.

Just like the double break out rule, its not who breaks out first but who breaks out the most under their dial in. A double red light should be treated the same way, make it fair on both ends of the track.

Last edited by Herbie Null; 02-06-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Herbie Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #45
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Talking Re: TruSTART looks to level the playing field.

Whats gonna suck is when the driver of the much slower car leaves the line thinking he
"killed the tree" only to find out he was -.0001 red 3 seconds later. Like a fart with lumps its the true definition of surprise.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #46
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

While it does happen, the instances of both drivers red-lighting aren't super frequent. On top of that, the majority of races will have close enough handicaps that the red-light would be displayed (if applicable) before the slower car even got to the 60'. Stock is an outlier anymore, with larger handicaps than we see in most bracket racing these days.

The rule certainly makes sense for Box classes, since both drivers are reacting to the same light, at the same time. For bottom-bulb racing, I'm ambivalent towards the idea. As long as I know what the rules of the playground are, and they're the same for everybody, I'm happy to play on it.

I applaud Peter & Kyle being able to accomplish what they wanted to get done. Many people had begged Compulink for years to implement changes that would allow AutoStart to recognize Deep Staging, to no avail.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #47
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

First or worst, I think it's awesome and about time. When the world doesn't come to a screeching halt because of this I can see it throughout drag racing.

First or worst at either end...bout time!

Last edited by goinbroke2; 02-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #48
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Statistical data on faster cars having the "worst redlight" of a dual-foul situation in eliminations:

At Loose Rocker's Colonial Classic last year, we ran roughly 1,640 pairs of eliminations over the course of the weekend. The number of instances that this rule would have affected were (4) in Top and (5) in Footbrake: 0.5% of elimination runs. In Top ET, every one would've been resolved (true red light/win light displayed) before the cars were past the tree. In Footbrake, every one of the runs would've been resolved before either car made it to the 60'.

American Doorslammer Nationals: 3 / 580 = 0.5%
Fall Footbrake Frenzy: 14 / 884 / 1.5%
The majority of these instances would be resolved before any car got to the tree, and all instances would be resolved before the 60'.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #49
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Statistical data on faster cars having the "worst redlight" of a dual-foul situation in eliminations:

At Loose Rocker's Colonial Classic last year, we ran roughly 1,640 pairs of eliminations over the course of the weekend. The number of instances that this rule would have affected were (4) in Top and (5) in Footbrake: 0.5% of elimination runs. In Top ET, every one would've been resolved (true red light/win light displayed) before the cars were past the tree. In Footbrake, every one of the runs would've been resolved before either car made it to the 60'.

American Doorslammer Nationals: 3 / 580 = 0.5%
Fall Footbrake Frenzy: 14 / 884 / 1.5%
The majority of these instances would be resolved before any car got to the tree, and all instances would be resolved before the 60'.
Doesn't seem like such a big problem and hardly worth the fuss.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:41 AM   #50
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
"If there is a logical argument against this method, I'd love to hear it... . this one is long overdue"
I asked the same question on this forum for years (literally, until my multitudinous posts about it became irritating to some people, who, for some reason, didn't "get it"; are you listening Ed Fernandez and Ed Wright?) Never EVER got a satisfactory answer. Just insults and character-assassination verbiage...

Ed Fernandez said, "It will never happen," and Ed Wright backed him up, with never any reason why this change to a more-fair way of dealing with double redlights needed not to happen.
Now, Ed Wright has done a complete 180 and says, " I honestly can't see how anyone could really say it's wrong," and Ed Fernandez has, miraculously, nothing to say. Well, this plan by two semi-pro Stock Eliminator racers is EXACTLY what I beat to death on this BB for years, and was never able to convince more than a few people of its worth. Maybe I'm just a lousy communicator..

It's not a part of Stock or Super Stock racing, YET, but, I think it may well filter down to those Eliminators if it's successful in the brackets.The fact is, it's not just about slow cars/fast cars.... In the final round of an Eliminator, you could have an "A" car running a "B" car, and they both go red. That's not a likely scenario, but it COULD happen. The winner would be the driver with the least infraction, just like in a double breakout.

That's fair.

I am just glad someone with some "pull" got it done. It was a long-time coming, and I am sure it took a lot of effort on the part of Kyle Seipel and Peter Biondo to get it this far. I applaud their efforts!

Last edited by bill dedman; 02-07-2016 at 03:47 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote