Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Drag Racing Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiBartolomeo View Post
First of all, I don't recall you contacting me directly however, if you had, I would have directed you to the publishing company responsible, Harris Publications in New York. This was not my doing and there were several people who did contact me (if you were one of them, I apologize for not recalling), but again I would have directed you to Harris. This was their call, not mine.

That being said, what can I do now to make it up to you? If you'd like you can contact me at johnd@dragracingedge.com. Regardless of what the publishing company does, I would like to make it right "if I can." If I can't, I'm sorry but it's not because I didn't try. -John D.
It doesn't get much better than an apology and an offer to "make it right" ........Good luck in your new venture John .
Old 02-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Drag Racing Edge

John....Missed you @ the "Chili Fest"
Old 02-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #13
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
That being said, what can I do now to make it up to you? If you'd like you can contact me at johnd@dragracingedge.com. Regardless of what the publishing company does, I would like to make it right "if I can." If I can't, I'm sorry but it's not because I didn't try. -John D.
refund my $ or give me a subscription equal to the $ I paid, to the new magazine.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #14
chasracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John - let me ask a couple of questions. If the previous magazine failed why would you continue to use the same format? To be honest (and partly because I am starved for decent tech info) I purchased your previous effort on many occasions but the magazine became so bland that over the last year or so I simply flipped through it on the news-stand and walked away. I do understand that "today's reader" apparently wants information in small news bites and is simply not interested in reading lengthy articles. Most of the "hot rod" style publications available today have already catered to these individuals. Interestingly, it seems that a lot of articles are nothing more that thinly disguised advertisements for a particular product - to me that was part of what I found less than interesting in your previous magazine. Have we really lost writers or hot rodders that can carry on a substantive flow of information to the reader without resorting to these tricks? I suppose in my defense I should say that I was spoiled early on by guys like Rick Voegelin and Steve Collison. The list of how-to's that I learned from that group of writers continues to help me on the builds that I do today. That's the type of information that I look for in a car book and that I believe is beneficial to your audience.

I do wish you the very best success with your new venture and I look forward to reading it.

Charles Rutherford

Quote:
Our website (http://www.dragracingedge.com) went live this past Monday and our first printed issue has been delivered to the printer. The bi-monthly magazine will follow the same format as the dearly departed Drag Racing Action with the same content from the same people. Please follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/dragracingedge) and Twitter (@dragracingedge). We're looking forward to getting back to the "Action."
chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts

Just to clear things up, the previous magazine (Drag Racing Action) folded because both myself and ad partner quit and the publishing company was reluctant to find someone else to take it over. They were great to work for and took very good care of us but the title of the book meant little and may as well have been Brides, Guns, Guitars, etc. We both left to start the Drag Racing Scene publication for Xceleration Media. However, we got a better offer to begin Drag Racing Edge and henceforth the reason for my change.

As for Charles Rutherford, I appreciate your comments. You really might not have an idea as to how well they are received. Obviously it is nice to hear the compliments, but it really is refreshing to hear what we're doing wrong. (Don't open up the floodgates for that though...) That's what makes us better. As for current magazines becoming "thinly disguised advertisements for a particular product," unfortunately it happens because we serve two factions, readers and advertisers. I'm not particularly fond of it either but it is what media publications (all of them) have become today. I try hard to to succumb to that style of writing but sometimes it just comes across that way.

All that being said... Tell me what you'd like to see stories on. Not speaking for Mr Voegelin and obviously no one can speak for Collison, but running out of ideas does come to mind. Sometimes I think we've already told all the good stories, but maybe not. johnd@dragracingedge.com. Let me hear it.
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts

What good sttuff will be in your new magazine ?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

John why does a magazine like Grassroots Motorsports does so well, they have tons of advertizing and quality articles not being use to plug the latest gizmo. Many advertising that they offer could be use in Drag racing, buy the mag and enjoy it. Many drag racer made the switch to road racing but that's another story. I miss the late Dale Wilson Bracket USA and Steve Collison both great writers sorely miss by us longtime readers. More Bracket racing little guy, we still have fantastic writers such as Wayne Scraba and Bret(Mr.Dirt) Kepner that can definitely help your mag. hope that they can help. Don't forget who saved Drag Racing it was Bracket Racing. One great racer Jok Nicholson had a great article not too long ago about Class Racer and The overprice Bracket Racing that is destroying our sport. 1320racer get over yourself, sometimes you have to move on. Hope this helps you with new ideas, I have a million more. Good luck with your new endeavor. Claude Ruel. p.s. You could look at the pics on my Facebook site call Jr.Stocker.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
refund my $ or give me a subscription equal to the $ I paid, to the new magazine.
Please give Johnny D. The opportunity to make it right. He is GOOD PEOPLE.
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley

My mother always taught me to make a positive out of a negative. So, Johnny D. send 1320racer(Mr. Negative) a subscription and send me the bill. I'll pay it forward !
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #20
Bill Howell
Sponsor

Liked 216 Times in 62 Posts

Send Dave a subscription and send me the invoice. I'll pay it forward.

Bill Howell 2059 STK
Bill Howell is offline   Reply With Quote