HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #11
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: New Super Stock weight breaks for 2017

I did not see any mention of the FSS classes ..

But is is highly likely I had a senior moment.

Ron
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
SS3718

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I would hope that they (NHRA) eliminate or reduce the weight subsidy for automatics. That rule is out of date. I know automatic racers would never complain about it and they make up the majority of racers out there. That being said, if it was close to parity at all, you would see more stickshift combos in those classes
Jim,
Do you think sticks and automatics should be combined without a weight break to automatics?

I agree with Mr. Beard. What's good for one, should be good for all! Nobody cares, except for a select few, that sticks/autos were combined in the new classes with stick indexes being adopted. I bet if they combine ALL sticks/autos and hit all of the auto indexes that there would be a lot more discussion and displeasure on the topic! Just my $0.02!

Nick
SS3718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
What an absolutely ridiculous joke. The unequal application of the rules is actually *planned* a year ahead. Good for them. While it's nice that they've added lower weight breaks to accommodate super go-fast guys, they added EVEN MORE classes to Super Stock.

** Apparently it's perfectly fine for sticks and automatics to be combined in Factory classes, GT Truck, Modified Stock, Modified Truck, and Modified classes, but not in the regular GT or traditional SS classes. If it's proper for one, then why not the other? OR if it's not proper for one, why is it for the other?

** In the GT Truck, Modified Stock, Modified Truck, and Modified classes, the automatics get a 5% or 250# weight break (whichever is less) -- yet the Factory classes do not. [I]If it's proper for one, then why not the other? OR if it's not proper for one, why is it for the other?

** Apparently NHRA feels that the factories are building the next generation of "unsafe at any speed" cars and engines, because NHRA has planned to continue into 2017 the idea that GT cars up to an 11.49# weight break will require a roll cage, but ALL Factory cars (even 12.50# and up) will require a full roll cage, -5 firesuit, etc. What will the insurance company say when a 'traditional' car running 10.00 gets into an accident. "Why didn't this car adhere to the higher level of safety standards that these other cars going as slow as 11.00 are required?" Why are the chances of rollovers and spontaneous combustion dramatically increased when a carburetor or 10+ year old throttle body is replaced with a specific late model year/model of throttle body, or when a 1970's era small block is placed in the engine bad of a professionally built late model factory race car? I'd love to see the studies and reports on that one!

There are many people working within NHRA who are good people, have plenty of common sense, and want to do well by both NHRA and their customers. Even the new President Peter Clifford said in a recent interview that he's had ideas to help NHRA for 18 years. 18 years. I've heard similar things from others. It seems to be a common thread that, "Oh, no, you can't make changes. No, no, no, things take time. Don't rock the boat." So who is the person or persons within the organization that is setting up all the roadblocks? The roadblocks need to be FIRED, and the good, passionate, common sense people within the organization need to be freed up to do their jobs.
It is simply a expensive bracket race. Dick you have become a fan not a racer.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS3718 View Post
Jim,
Do you think sticks and automatics should be combined without a weight break to automatics?

I agree with Mr. Beard. What's good for one, should be good for all! Nobody cares, except for a select few, that sticks/autos were combined in the new classes with stick indexes being adopted. I bet if they combine ALL sticks/autos and hit all of the auto indexes that there would be a lot more discussion and displeasure on the topic! Just my $0.02!

Nick
I think in Superstock the weight break is relevant in any class that they have to compete heads up. The best auto stuff is fast and expensive just like the best stick stuff. The weight break that exists in the modified classes is extremely biased towards automatics now. Maybe it should be an incremental change to placate the 95% and see how it goes. I understand Michaels point. His argument about the safety requirements are valid, but separate from the stick vs auto one.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I understand Michaels point. His argument about the safety requirements are valid, but separate from the stick vs auto one.
Correct, they are separate arguments.

And for the record, I don't care which way a ruling goes. If FGT doesn't get a weight break for automatics, then neither should GT/Truck. Or if GT/Truck does, then everybody should.

Likewise, if they feel my 10.50-10.80 car is unsafe without a full roll cage, -5 firesuit, competition license, SFI flexplate & shield, then by all means, make it a rule that all cars 10.99-quicker meet those higher requirements. Sure glad I wouldn't be the one fielding THOUSANDS of calls and e-mails from Stock, Super Stock, and bracket racers if they made *that* announcement!

Equal application of rules. Period.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #16
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

I think the weight breaks are great since it will revitalize some of the older Big Block high HP combinations that had no place in GT. It will separate the front wheel drive cars from some of the tanks since there is still a 2670 lb minimum.
Love to see a 426 in a GT car or Boss 429, L88 427, SOHC 427. Now it is possible in GT!! Bring on the EFI cars for a real Muscle Car race!!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #17
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Janes View Post
It is simply a expensive bracket race. Dick you have become a fan not a racer.
We agree on the description.
Maybe just a little more than a "fan".................................................. ............

Last edited by Dick Butler; 02-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #18
Bill Marshall

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Broaddus View Post
I think the weight breaks are great since it will revitalize some of the older Big Block high HP combinations that had no place in GT. It will separate the front wheel drive cars from some of the tanks since there is still a 2670 lb minimum.
Love to see a 426 in a GT car or Boss 429, L88 427, SOHC 427. Now it is possible in GT!! Bring on the EFI cars for a real Muscle Car race!!
There is no mention of GT cars in the new weight breaks so how will it make it possible for some big blocks to have a chance in GT. just don't understand
Bill Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

Bill,
The section where this is listed is for GT and FGT. Look at the proceeding paragraphs, and the ones just after, where it says the COPO Drag pak and Cobra Jet combos must run FGT. Why else would this be necessary if they didn't mean the weight breaks applied to the GT classes as well.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #20
Herbie Null

Liked 285 Times in 55 Posts
Question Re: New Super Stock weight breaks for 2017

In 2017 when my weight break goes from E to I is the indexs going to change to?