Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #21
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: NHRA open to run IHRA class cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
There are too many classes now, Dan. NHRA had Pure Stock once, more pure stock than what IHRA has now. Low car counts, like IHRA has, killed it.

You know what they say is like belly buttons, right? :-)
That was a NAVEL ATTACK !!

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #22
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
At least on the nation event level NHRA has no problem filling their events. They have no need for adding a bunch more classes.

In the majority of the country IHRA is not a option. The only reason it is happening at this race is the track just switched sanctions. I do not expect to see this to be a trend.
When IHRA was in my area I raced with them some. But the didn't stick around. In my opinion unless you live in the right part of the country and you have a huge dislike for NHRA It is less than advisable to build a IHRA only class car. You limit your options both for racing and when it comes to selling the car should that time come.
YES limited in going to NHRA races yeah....got that!

SO what..there are the plethora of Independent S/SS races you could possibly want to compete in.
Still have choices.
Such as putting the car and trailer on AmTrack AutoTrain and run in IHRA Division 2 in Florida.
Hell all the races are with in 2 hours of each other from Orlando and 3 to WPB Moroso Raceway.

Run all the IHRA Division 1 which collaborate Division 3 and 9 races included.
Can attend the North Carolina IHRA races.

If NHRA is reading this...(HOPE)
It would behoove them to add IHRA Classes.

I get there maybe too many classes.
My Pure Stocker would fit under the Q or R Stock Index if the intent is to maintain NHRA's classification system.
Have no problem with that!

Would love a crack at CRUSHING other Q/SA cars heads up.
Just adds variety for the medium to lower class structure.

So many advantages and so little time..

D
Old 02-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #23
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Dan Fahey, its great that you like your Pure Stocker, but you really need to look at the numbers. According to my 2015 Nitro Joe Stats book, last year a total of 13 Pure Stockers raced at IHRA 1/8th mile races, and a whopping 4 showed up at IHRA 1/4 mile events. And even THATS inflated, as you are shown 3 times, in 2 different 1/8th mile classes, as well as once in 1/4 mile. So out of a combined total of 17 Pure Stockers, you are counted as 3 of them. I think that you need to face reality if you think NHRA "needs" the oddball IHRA Stock classes. Combining all the IHRA "non traditional" Stock classes, including Pure Stock, Stock GT, and Crate Motor, there were a total of 68 cars at 1/8th mile events, and 41 cars at 1/4 mile events. Even ignoring that many of these cars are counted 2, 3, or more times, between class switching and running tracks of both distances, thats a total of 109 cars. In NHRA, B/SA and H/SA each have more cars than that. ALL the IHRA Stockers combined, 1/8th and 1/4 mile total 390 cars, NHRA had 1613 cars entered. NHRA may not be perfect, but the numbers don`t lie, or do you disagree?

Last edited by Rory McNeil; 02-04-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Rory McNeil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Build an NHRA legal car, and you can go run either or both.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #25
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Most of the IHRA cars will fit a NHRA class with a simple motor change. If you want to run it make it work. I wanted to run both so I got a car that could run both.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #26
Sean Cour

Liked 79 Times in 30 Posts

��

Last edited by Sean Cour; 02-04-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Sean Cour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #27
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Roy McNeil...
I do disagree.
There are number of racers that would build Pure Stockers if NHRA would host them.
I get many emails stating that.

East coast are where most of the PSers are.
Westward none because NHRA dominates and tracks are days away from each other.
It would be easy to incorporate the PureStockDrags.com cars.
My argument goes for the GT and Crate Motor classes as well.
When Mike Beard created the Class Racers Meet in Ohio.
My company hosted the Pure Stock Challenge.
Had a great turnout and several heads up races.
Think 12-13 cars showed up.
Feel bad I could not sponsor it last year.

Not everyone sees the same solution like the Build a Stocker for both classes argument.
FWIW we have a really nice community of racers.

The sanctioning bodies need to accommodate us.
They need to vie for our business not treat us as a worn after thought!

D

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 02-05-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #28
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Many years ago NHRA had pure stockers. Car counts were about as bad as IHRA. They dropped them. There are so many classes now, I would not hold my breath for them to come back. Especially with how few IHRA has. No car count = no eliminator, or classes.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #29
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Dan Fahey, its great that you like your Pure Stocker, but you really need to look at the numbers. According to my 2015 Nitro Joe Stats book, last year a total of 13 Pure Stockers raced at IHRA 1/8th mile races, and a whopping 4 showed up at IHRA 1/4 mile events. And even THATS inflated, as you are shown 3 times, in 2 different 1/8th mile classes, as well as once in 1/4 mile. So out of a combined total of 17 Pure Stockers, you are counted as 3 of them. I think that you need to face reality if you think NHRA "needs" the oddball IHRA Stock classes. Combining all the IHRA "non traditional" Stock classes, including Pure Stock, Stock GT, and Crate Motor, there were a total of 68 cars at 1/8th mile events, and 41 cars at 1/4 mile events. Even ignoring that many of these cars are counted 2, 3, or more times, between class switching and running tracks of both distances, thats a total of 109 cars. In NHRA, B/SA and H/SA each have more cars than that. ALL the IHRA Stockers combined, 1/8th and 1/4 mile total 390 cars, NHRA had 1613 cars entered. NHRA may not be perfect, but the numbers don`t lie, or do you disagree?
Now don't go using facts again.......lol
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 AM   #30
Stirk18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post

In the majority of the country IHRA is not a option. The only reason it is happening at this race is the track just switched sanctions. In my opinion unless you live in the right part of the country and you have a huge dislike for NHRA It is less than advisable to build a IHRA only class car. You limit your options both for racing and when it comes to selling the car should that time come.
Incorrect, TMP has been an NHRA Track since 2011, their last year as an IHRA track was 2008 I believe. They spent 2009 and 2010 as an AHRA track until that blew up.

The honest truth is Western New York and Ontario is IHRA country, even though there are two sanctioned NHRA tracks up here, there arent a great deal of NHRA Stock, Super Stock, Super Gas, Super Street or Super Comp racers following NHRA in any capacity outside of a select few. There's more racers up here running IHRA Nationals and Pro-Ams then anything NHRA.

We have local 10.90 series up this way and out of the 55+ racers who run in it, under 10 have NHRA Super Street numbers.

If NHRA wants to grow their participation numbers then they will need to allow IHRA style cars some transitional years to want to build NHRA legal combos' because right now there is next to no incentive to especially when there's 5 IHRA Nationals or Pro Am's within 7 hours or less from Central Ontario , and there isnt 3 NHRA divisionals within 10 hours of that same driving circle....
Stirk18 is offline   Reply With Quote