Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-08-2023, 11:37 PM   #51
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 847 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: A Funny thing has happened to EV’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wells View Post
I like it, the problem is most Americans in there wildest dreams could not afford this, maybe some day it will be affordable for the average Americans, where I live and a lot of rural areas they have 100 A services, and to upgrade to a 200 A is thousands of dollars. Just another feel good toy for the woke liberal rich elites, I will keep driving my black smoke blowing Duramax, EGR delete, PVC bypass and 19 MPG. I have been an electrician for 48 years, mostly industrial, but have wired a lot of houses and I have never wired a residential house with a 400 amp service, heck I don't think I would be allowed in that neighborhood.

Randy
With my setup I could just plug the truck into my existing 30A Inlet box plug on the side of the house that I use my EU7000 with. I would not have had to shelled out 6 grand for a Generator. I agree with you,that whole automatic transfer deal is for high dollar people. But this technology is amazing
Old 12-08-2023, 11:41 PM   #52
Randy Wells

Liked 990 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
With my setup I could just plug the truck into my existing 30A Inlet box plug on the side of the house that I use my EU7000 with. I would not have had to shelled out 6 grand for a Generator. I agree with you,that whole automatic transfer deal is for high dollar people. But this technology is amazing

Your EU 7000 is AC power, your EV is DC, you still need an Inverter to power your house.vnew EVs use AC but they have a rectifier to convert it to DC, and most EVs are 400 to 800 volts, so if you used the AC side you would need a XFMR.

Randy

Last edited by Randy Wells; 12-08-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:43 PM   #53
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wells View Post
Your EU 7000 is AC power, your EV is DC, you still need an Inverter to power your house.

Randy
How do they run with the extension cords then Randy? The truck already converts it. If you watch the video, he does exactly as I'm saying. The Lightning puts out 9KW of AC Power. Go to 25.39 -26:50 on the video. That plug only puts out 7000 watts (Like my Generator) but it's the same as having my Generator. My Honda uses 5 gallons of gas every 12 hours, or 10 gallon a day. 3 days would be 30 gallon. That's 100.00 worth of gas, at least. The Lighting can be recharged at about 20 dollars a 'tankful' of electric if charging at home. So it's a good bit cheaper.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-08-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:56 PM   #54
Randy Wells

Liked 990 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
How do they run with the extension cords then Randy? They truck already converts it. If you watch the video, he does exactly as I'm saying. The Lightning puts out 9KW of AC Power. Go to 25.39 on the video
Jeff, the EV probably has a Inverter to convert DC to AC to power the AC motor and a rectifier to convert AC to DC to charge your batteries, so I can see how plugging in to you charging circuit could work for powering your house, if it 120v most newer EVs are 400v AC so you would still need a XFMR, just don't belive it is as efficient as they say. I really have not studied EVs just shooting from the cuff as a master electrician

Last edited by Randy Wells; 12-09-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #55
Jeff Niceswanger

For the people trying to read Randy and my conversation I'll summarize to help out a bit.The plugs out the back of the Ford Lighting put out 7000 KW (watts) AC. Just like our Generators. You can plug them right into your house either using a manual transfer box or extension cords.. Ford says it will power up an average house for 3 days, at least. Randy disputes their that efficient. If you want the full 9000 KW (watts) you need to hook up to the same drivers side battery port as where you charge the Truck. This is Battery power DC and must be inverted to Household AC. Hence the need for all the expensive equipment. But also keep in mind, this is the first generation of these types of vehicles. They will get bigger, more powerful, and better as all this technology advances. The plan going forward is to someday allow your Trucks and EV's power to be purchased off of you, if you like, during brownouts etc.
I'm not a master Electrician like Randy, but was President of the United Electrical, Radio and Machine workers of America for the last 10 years of my employment and did quite a bit of this stuff myself.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-09-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #56
Mike Gray

Liked 499 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
The plan going forward is to someday allow your Trucks and EV's power to be purchased off of you, if you like, during brownouts etc.
Then when the brown out is over everyone plugs their EV’s back in to charge them creating another brown out, only there’s no charge left in the EV’s to power your home. LOL.
By the way, how does your local electrical plant create electricity (fossil fuel?) In CA they don’t buy back your electricity at the same rate you pay for it so you lose money plugging in your EV.
More problems created by government meddling and then more laws and overreach to try to fix the problems they created.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #57
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Then when the brown out is over everyone plugs their EV’s back in to charge them creating another brown out, only there’s no charge left in the EV’s to power your home. LOL.
By the way, how does your local electrical plant create electricity (fossil fuel?) In CA they don’t buy back your electricity at the same rate you pay for it so you lose money plugging in your EV.
More problems created by government meddling and then more laws and overreach to try to fix the problems they created.
I was talking to Keven Panzeno a SS racer on this site. He was the Superintendent at Pittsburg power, a coal powered power plant. He says after about 5 o'clock, the usage goes down to about 30%, even on wide open peak days.The power companies are licking their chops to sell this power. EV owners charge their EV's at night while their sleeping. At least 90% of them.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-09-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:15 PM   #58
Mike Gray

Liked 499 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
I was talking to Keven Panzeno as SS racer on this site. He was the Superintendent at Pittsburg power, a coal powered power plant. He says after about 5 o'clock, the usage goes down to about 30%, even on wide open peak days.The power companies are licking their chops to sell this power. EV owners charge their EV's at night while their sleeping. At least 90% of them.
I live a few miles from Lake Elsinore in Murrieta CA. there is a power company working with the city to convince the public to allow construction of a new power plant and transmission lines. Their plan is to pump water from the lake up the mountain to a holding basin at night then release it back down to the lake through a generating station during the day. If they weren’t gouging us so much for electricity during the day this wouldn’t be profitable. (My summer payments for electricity run $800 - $900 a month)
Old 12-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #59
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
I live a few miles from Lake Elsinore in Murrieta CA. there is a power company working with the city to convince the public to allow construction of a new power plant and transmission lines. Their plan is to pump water from the lake up the mountain to a holding basin at night then release it back down to the lake through a generating station during the day. If they weren’t gouging us so much for electricity during the day this wouldn’t be profitable. (My summer payments for electricity run $800 - $900 a month)
I just paid our electricity bill on our total electric home.280.00 Average taxes for a 200,000 ranch house in this area is 2000.00 a year. Insurance on my 23 Platinum Ford F-150 Truck, Sues 21 Titanium Edge and our ranch house is 1700.00 a year. I freaking hate the weather here, but it's easier on your wallet than you "land of the palm trees guys".
Old 12-09-2023, 10:37 PM   #60
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Mike, You on Edison, I lucked out getting IID out here. The highest paid I was $480 and that is with two A/C units in August.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote