HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: # of axle splines in an E-body stocker

If you have to stay with the 8 3/4, you may want to consider a few optional upgrades to extend its life.

1) Definitely stay with 35 splines. The axles are actually the same as a 35 spline Dana 60 axle, just use different lengths.

2) Cryo and/or REM finish on the ring & pinion. I've had a few sets done at Evans Performance near Atlanta, GA and I'm convinced that the processes extend their life. It will be easier for your set-up guy to do it before the process because it's difficult to get a pattern with the gears polished. http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html

3) Straighten & install a backbrace on the housing. It may have to be notched for shock clearance.

4) Install a large diameter filler cap near the top of the housing mainly for easier regular inspection of the gears. You can usually catch a tooth or two starting to go away. But a ring & pinion or u-joint failure will likely take out the trans sprag as well.

5) A billet yoke on the pinion will help prevent u-joint loss from a yoke that can actually spread over time, which causes the u-joint to hammer itself out. (It happened to me footbraking a small block.)

6) My u-joint preference are solid Spicer joints. They have a good variety including 7260, 7290, 1350 and assorted conversion joints.

7) If your rear wheels don't have very thick centers, you may be able to get by with 2" wheel studs instead of 3" to save a little weight. I know Moser has them, but not sure about the other brands.

8) I'm guessing that you'll need at least 4.86 - 5.13 gears. Summit has them for 742 cases only.

9) Mark Williams makes billet caps that can be installed for added strength in that area. I forgot which side has the higher rate of breakage.

Good luck!

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 10-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: # of axle splines in an E-body stocker

All the info given here is correct for the most part but I’ll just share my personal experience with the 8 ¾ in my Sport Fury. The 42 housing is the one to use and Spicer joints are a must. Each time I pull the driveshaft I use new straps on the larger of the factory yokes. In my low budget old school stocker I typically ran about 3520 in weight with times in the 10.70-10.90 range and currently have over 360 runs on the Richmond 4.57 set that’s in the car now. Your car will be a little lighter than that in G and being a budget car you might be in the mid 11s on a 12.0 index. The Richmond gears will crack in time because they’re a little too hard for racing.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
GallopinGhost

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Myron, Paul,

Thanks for the info. I'm convinced I can make an 8.75 last a reasonable amount of time, especially following the advice given. But it's much more work and time. A new dana with all the options is just not doable budget wise. I'll look for a used dana that's in good shape, as well as price out an 8.75 setup with best value in mind. I appreciate the help, it's makes the pros and cons clear. I enjoy doing things myself, I save money and learn more that way too. Downside it takes a long time
Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
GallopinGhost

So just wondering here, by adding a back brace, what direction does the housing tend to bend to without a brace ?

I looked at complete Dana 60 assemblies. Strange and Moser both have them. Roughly $ 2200. Quality wise, does either stand out ? After thinking about it, I don't think I'd be ok with a "used" assembly
Old 10-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #15
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think you will be fine with the 8 3/4 at the HP level you will be making in a budget build. My Coronet has been 10.20s @ 3800lbs with a back braced 8 3/4 with 35 spline Moser axles/spool and 4.56 Yukon gears. The Cheap gears are more forgiving than the race gears.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Eric Merryfield

Liked 467 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopinGhost View Post
So just wondering here, by adding a back brace, what direction does the housing tend to bend to without a brace ?

I looked at complete Dana 60 assemblies. Strange and Moser both have them. Roughly $ 2200. Quality wise, does either stand out ? After thinking about it, I don't think I'd be ok with a "used" assembly
I know that a strange unit went in the dakota to replace the 8.75 when I spent the dough on A&A protrans......They are both excellent and support the racers. Which one is closer for the freight savings?

Not to complicate your decision, but I pitted across from a index racer at the dutch who replaces his 8.75 r&p every 300 runs, not pro gear, as you can't get the 4.88 to my knowledge. I think he said $200 bucks or so at a whack.

Your other consideration is the 60 versus 8.75 resistance, I haven't found it to be different, and the weight difference especially going from drum to disc was nada.

60's now in the entire fleet: 70 challenger like yours, but a stick, dakota, dragpak, and the idle 72 which is waiting for some love. All are 40 spline but the 72 which is a 35.

I still have my complete 8.75 rear end 4.88 Moser axles downstairs at work. Might even be the Ebody width!

Eric

Eric
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
GallopinGhost

Thanks for the replies.

Well gents, getting the prices together really made this a no brainer. To "fix" my 8.75 will cost $1300 not counting my labor. I'd have to buy a spool/axle package, back brace, bearings, yoke, R&P, wheel studs, carrier caps w/needed machining according to mark williams website.

For a new rear end, components are: pro gear, 5/8 studs, spring pads welded, cast yoke, spool, axles. may go with a forged yoke though.

Strange: $2000, free shipping until end of yr.
Moser: $2400, + 225 shipping.

So for another $700 I get an assemble dana delivered. Just need to pick a gear ratio before I can order. Either 4.88 or 5.13. Motor package isn't figured out yet, but I think the 4.88 would be a safe start. Suggestions ????

Last edited by GallopinGhost; 10-17-2014 at 01:57 PM.
GallopinGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #18
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: # of axle splines in an E-body stocker

4.88 would be a "safe" start.

I'm a small block guy and have seen many auto trans 3.58 stroke 360's favoring a 4.88 while the 3.31 stroke 340's like a 5.13 in Stock. Your 383 has a 3.375 stroke, so 4.88 should be safe and later determine if the engine and valvetrain can handle a 5.13. There are always 92.5" and 94" circumference slicks to experiment with as well as radials which will raise the rpms due to limited growth. But it wouldn't surprise me if a couple combos may go a step further. That's my theory and 2 cents worth. Now I'm curious if someone can confirm my theory.

See if you can find any Moser dealers in you area. Might get a better deal than buying direct. I lucked out to have a driveline place here in Daytona who also do my driveshafts. Or ask about "price matching"!

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 10-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Mark Ugrich

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts

[QUOTE=GallopinGhost;449973]So just wondering here, by adding a back brace, what direction does the housing tend to bend to without a brace ? [QUOTE]

The axle tubes will bend forward,toward the front of the car.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
grncpe

Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts

4.88 is a safe start "BUT" I would wait until you dyno the motor to see where your rpm levels are, 383's like rpm. I know you prob. didn't want to hear that.I was going to do a 383 stocker in my 70 cuda, but went the other way to a 383 SS. just my opinion….
grncpe is offline   Reply With Quote