HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default Submitting Parts for NHRA Stock/SS

Has anyone submitted a part to NHRA for inclusion in the approved parts list? I asked Silvolite to submit their 1266C piston for a 318 for a legal replacement for the early 318 Chrysler engines (1967-1972 or there about). I got a reply that they would send me a piston to submit. I asked if they had a drawing since it looks like NHRA wants a drawing first, but they won't give me a drawing, but gave me a list of specs.

Anyone have any idea of how much it costs? I don't want to spend a lot of money getting someone else's piston approved. The only reason I want the piston approved is the early 318s had four valve notches in the top and the approved ones seem to be all flat tops. It looks like the old TRW/Speed-Pro L2329Fs are long gone.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway
Default Re: Submitting Parts for NHRA Stock/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
Has anyone submitted a part to NHRA for inclusion in the approved parts list? I asked Silvolite to submit their 1266C piston for a 318 for a legal replacement for the early 318 Chrysler engines (1967-1972 or there about). I got a reply that they would send me a piston to submit. I asked if they had a drawing since it looks like NHRA wants a drawing first, but they won't give me a drawing, but gave me a list of specs.

Anyone have any idea of how much it costs? I don't want to spend a lot of money getting someone else's piston approved. The only reason I want the piston approved is the early 318s had four valve notches in the top and the approved ones seem to be all flat tops. It looks like the old TRW/Speed-Pro L2329Fs are long gone.
It should cost you nothing but your time.

Here is the process!

http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/N...%20Process.pdf
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Sam Capizzi Jr

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

I don't think the 4 valve relief piston will fly with nhra because it will make all the 800-1300$ Approved piston sets obsolete...
Sam Capizzi Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

There official posted NHRA process always seemed like it was intended for manufacturers to me as opposed to track level racers seeking to get a part on the list. A stock racer I know got a piston approved by sending them one to look over. They sent it back in a torn manila envelope... I'm sure there was a more to the process but CAD drawings and pre production prototypes weren't among them. Call the main office and ask. Then be prepared to call again.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
James L Miller

I've reviewed the PDF already and came across this line in Paragraph 2.

"All fees and costs, if any, incurred by NHRA in determining whether to approve or disapprove the proposed changes to vehicle design or vehicle components shall be borne by the party submitting the items for review."

From the old 318s I tore apart years ago, the early ones had the four valve relief pistons. I think as they lowered the piston down the hole, the valve notches weren't needed anymore with the .390" lift cam and tiny duration. I don't think there are many people running the early 2bbl engines. I'm sure the smart guys are running the TQ in the late 1970s 318s. I have a 1969 Barracuda, don't have room for another car. It's an original 340 car, so I don't want to put a roll bar in it, so the 318 should put it in R/SA.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
James L Miller

I also sent an e-mail to Tim White per the last line of the PDF.

"To submit a component for approval or for additional information please contact Tim White at twhite@nhra.com"

Thanks for all the info. If I hear from Tim, I'll post the reply.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Good luck. I hope the process is far smoother for you than it was for me.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
James L Miller

I got an e-mail back from Pat Cvengros. He said to mail the piston to him at NHRA. I'll put together a word document with the specs that Silvolite gave me and send it with the piston when I get it. Pat said there isn't a cost associated with it.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
James L Miller

I finally got a piston from Silvolite to submit. I had originally requested a drawing (non-enigneering) because the NHRA process said they needed a drawing first and then the part. Silvolite didn't want to release a full engineering drawing, which is understandable, so they didn't send the piston. I e-mailed them back saying that NHRA didn't need the drawing after all.

The piston has four small notches in the top. They seem smaller than the OEM pistons as best as I can recall. I haven't seen an old 318 piston in 30 years, so maybe I remember them being bigger than they were. Not the prettiest piston in the world, but at $180/set they should do OK on a 318 2bbl engine. Now, I need to put all the paperwork together and send them off to NHRA to see if they will approve them. I'm thinking the pistons were used from 1967-1971 with the valve notches. Chrysler lowered the pistons in the bore starting in 1972. I'm thinking that's when they went to the flat top piston.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I submitted a H534CP 305 piston for approval this summer. Sent an e-mail to Bruce to inquire about whether the coated skirt version of the H534P was legal since it is readily available. He told me to send a piston to the NHRA Office in Indy for inspection. I did that, and about two months or so later followed up with an e-mail asking about progress on the approval. Got an e-mail back saying it was approved and would be in the next ND issue approved list. Main question was if the coating would be legal and I would guess they wanted to see if the later coated version was cast and machined the same as the non-coated. They did send it back in the same box I sent it in too.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote