HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
kellintrans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default IHRA Pure Stock Classification

I am currently building a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon to run in Pure Stock next year. However, IHRA does not have camshaft or valve spring specifications for the engine ( 307cid/ vin Y motor). Therefore it is not eligible. How do I go about getting this car certified to run in Pure Stock.
kellintrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Pure Stock Classification

I would start here... http://www.ihra.com/contactus
Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
kellintrans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks!!
kellintrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Tar Heel

We had the same situation with our 2004 Corvette two years ago. I contacted Mike Baker and he instructed me to find someone at GM that could provide official cam specs. After doing some digging (emails, phone calls, etc.) I found someone at GM to provide them for me. I sent the information to Mike and it got approved.

Interesting side note ... the cam lift that was sent to me for my year was SIGNIFICANTLY less than what is listed as allowable lift in the NHRA guide for that particular year. I had Bullet grind it legal but I should have done it to the other number in hindsight.

Scott
Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scott, do you remember who it was at GM that you talked to about your camshaft specifications. I am a GM engineer and would like to talk to him about my camshaft.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Tar Heel

Does Mark Kent sound right? Forgive me but I'm pulling that out of the air and don't remember off the top of my head. It's been over 3 years and once Bullet ground me the cam I didn't hang on to the email electronically. If that isn't correct I could go through my notebook of receipts and paperwork and see if I happened to print the email which I can't remember if I did or not.

Scott

Last edited by Tar Heel; 11-10-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellintrans View Post
I am currently building a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon to run in Pure Stock next year. However, IHRA does not have camshaft or valve spring specifications for the engine ( 307cid/ vin Y motor). Therefore it is not eligible. How do I go about getting this car certified to run in Pure Stock.
Best to start with Mike Baker because your engine should be identical to those already running Stock.

I think IHRA may have to have to Standardize on a Spring that is most common. Much like Pure Stock Drag has. They standardized on 130# Seat Pressure without damper.
If the heads came with more you could use that number.

IMHO most of our stockers came with 80#, some with 100#.
Might be wise to use 100# for all cams unless published higher and can be documented.

Simplify the process and reduce Tech Maintenance.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Tar Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Best to start with Mike Baker because your engine should be identical to those already running Stock.

I think IHRA may have to have to Standardize on a Spring that is most common. Much like Pure Stock Drag has. They standardized on 130# Seat Pressure without damper.
If the heads came with more you could use that number.

IMHO most of our stockers came with 80#, some with 100#.
Might be wise to use 100# for all cams unless published higher and can be documented.

Simplify the process and reduce Tech Maintenance.
Don't the springs Dan have to meet OEM specs for each individual combination? Wouldn't going with a standard spring pressure help some but hurt others depending on what engine they were running? I can't remember what ours is off the top of my head but I would guess that they vary from car to car.

It was Mark Kent that I worked with. If Mike Baker doesn't have a cam spec for your car and it isn't in the classification guide for Pure Stock this would be a good start. Just because they may run that combination in NHRA Stock Eliminator doesn't mean they have the information they need for Pure Stock. That's what we ran into.

Hey Dan ... did I read somewhere that you finished the year in 10th place in your Division in points? If so congratulations! That's outstanding for a Pure Stocker to be up there.

Scott
Old 11-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

"Hey Dan ... did I read somewhere that you finished the year in 10th place in your Division in points? If so congratulations! That's outstanding for a Pure Stocker to be up there. "

NICE Dan! Pure stockers did pretty well in div 2 with the 8th, 10th, and 11th place cars being P/S'ers. I was as high as fourth before sitting out the final "double" at Darlington. Pretty damn happy with that considering I haven't footbrake raced in a loonnngggg time and it took me about 1/2 the season to sort out a new car. Good news is its DEADLY now and my kid will run it full time this year.

Pure stock is a blast!
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

In 2001, I bought a daily-driver 1995 Camaro. The car was, at the time, not in Pure Stock due to the key components missing (valve spring, cam specs, etc) from the spec guide. I spoke to Gary Penn at GM and had him send the specs to IHRA to get it added for Pure Stock. I do not think Gary is still there (maybe he is?).
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote