HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Chipper Chapman

Liked 142 Times in 64 Posts
Default Valve Spring Pressure - BBC stocker

My new motor 396/325hp stocker broke a valve first weekend out (had dyno time too), upon disassembly it was found that all 8 intake valves had been making light contact, of course it was one of them that broke.

My tightest ptv clearance upon assembly ( and checking again during autopsy) was .070" which should be plenty, which leads me to believe it must have been lofting the valves open due to lack of adequate spring pressure. Springs were setup to be 250# on the seat and 500# over the nose which all recommendations said should be enough. Obviously not however. Just wondering if any of you have suggestions of what we should set it up to this time. Cam is steel core, dlc coated trend lifters, pac 1325 springs and steel retainers. Fire away with any suggestions, and thank you.
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: Valve Spring Pressure - BBC stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
My new motor 396/325hp stocker broke a valve first weekend out (had dyno time too), upon disassembly it was found that all 8 intake valves had been making light contact, of course it was one of them that broke.

My tightest ptv clearance upon assembly ( and checking again during autopsy) was .070" which should be plenty, which leads me to believe it must have been lofting the valves open due to lack of adequate spring pressure. Springs were setup to be 250# on the seat and 500# over the nose which all recommendations said should be enough. Obviously not however. Just wondering if any of you have suggestions of what we should set it up to this time. Cam is steel core, dlc coated trend lifters, pac 1325 springs and steel retainers. Fire away with any suggestions, and thank you.
Can I ask what it made on the dyno and the peak RPM HP?
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Chipper Chapman

445@5700. My dyno is known to be stingy, but it really should have made peak near 62-6300. Should have been the first clue but unfortunately it wasn't.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,049 Times in 276 Posts

If you indeed have 250# on the seat, and over 500# open, you have over 0.050" piston to valve clearance on the intake, and you have a valve control problem, then there is something terribly wrong. I can spin mine to over 8,000 RPM with those pressures, and a true 0.050" piston to valve clearance.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 767 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
My tightest ptv clearance upon assembly ( and checking again during autopsy) was .070" which should be plenty......
Chipper, how was v-p clearance checked? Where was the contact on the piston? -Al
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
If you indeed have 250# on the seat, and over 500# open, you have over 0.050" piston to valve clearance on the intake, and you have a valve control problem, then there is something terribly wrong. I can spin mine to over 8,000 RPM with those pressures, and a true 0.050" piston to valve clearance.

I completely agree with Alan, but have a question. Is the camshaft you're using one you've used in the past without problems, or is it something new, perhaps with lobe profiles that are somewhat "exotic"? If the intake lobe ramp profile is too extreme, even with the kind of valve spring pressures and piston-to-valve clearance you're talking about, the lifter may not be able to stay in contact with the lobe, and you end up with an uncontrolled valvetrain. Just a thought.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Chipper Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
I completely agree with Alan, but have a question. Is the camshaft you're using one you've used in the past without problems, or is it something new, perhaps with lobe profiles that are somewhat "exotic"? If the intake lobe ramp profile is too extreme, even with the kind of valve spring pressures and piston-to-valve clearance you're talking about, the lifter may not be able to stay in contact with the lobe, and you end up with an uncontrolled valvetrain. Just a thought.
This is what my fear is, When I called to have cam ground I had called Chris P when he was at crane, he left while my cam was to be done and it got shuffled over to comp and ground totally different than we talked, in a more aggressive fashion. I usually check the ptv the simple way with clay, but also checked it by opening valve with checking springs and degree wheel, same result both ways.

For reference camshaft is COMP .396/.396 lift, 288/294 .006, 248/254 .050 and on the big core

Last edited by Chipper Chapman; 06-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #8
pmrphil

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts

What "group" is that intake lobe from? They have some violent stuff that really shouldn't be in almost any engine. Your opinion may vary.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Valve Spring Pressure - BBC stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
What "group" is that intake lobe from? They have some violent stuff that really shouldn't be in almost any engine. Your opinion may vary.
Not surprised........Stock is no longer stock since 1985. I would prefer to run S/S than try to deal with these crazy cams and spring pressures of today. The pressures you are running (250/500) with .632 lift with 1.6 roller rockers is what I ran in my SS/IA 350 Camaro back in 1978 with roller lifters. Never broke a motor and ran right with Bobby Warren and Phil Hardee. Have fun !

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 06-26-2018 at 09:10 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Hard to loft an intake valve on opening, it's only moved the tappet .100 or so. Now over the nose....okay, but the piston is long gone by that time. Possibly a big bounce off seat? Pushrods might change things
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote