HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #51
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Veteran Issues

. More Secure VA ID Cards Coming: The VA has announced the phased roll out of newly designed, more secure Veteran Health Identification Cards (VHIC). Similar to a typical health insurance card, the VHIC will display the veteran's member ID, a new unique identifier, as well as a plan ID, reflecting the veteran's enrollment in VA healthcare. The new card replaces the Veteran Identification Card (VIC), which was introduced in 2004. As part of a phased rollout, starting this month, the card will only be offered to newly enrolled and other veterans who have not yet been issued a VIC. In April, VA will begin a three-month effort to automatically issue the more secure VHIC to current VIC cardholders. VA recommends Veterans safeguard their VIC as they would a credit card, and cut up or shred the card once it is replaced. Enrolled veterans can get more information about the VHIC by visiting their VA medical facility enrollment coordinator or the website www.va.gov/healthbenefits/vhic, calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387) or visiting their local VA health care facility. Veterans not enrolled in the VA healthcare system can apply for enrollment at any time by visiting www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll, calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387) or visiting their local VA health care facility.

5. SSA to Expedite Disability Process for Veterans: The Social Security Administration unveiled a new initiative this week to expedite disability claims by veterans with a VA disability compensation rating of 100% Permanent & Total (P&T). Under the new process, which is set to launch in mid-March, Social Security will treat these veterans' applications as high priority and issue expedited decisions, similar to the way the agency currently handles disability claims from Wounded Warriors. In order to receive the expedited service, veterans must tell Social Security they have a VA disability compensation rating of 100% P&T, and show proof of their disability rating with their VA Notification Letter. The VA rating only expedites Social Security disability claims processing and does not guarantee an approval for Social Security disability benefits. These veterans must still meet the strict eligibility requirements for a disability allowance. For information about this service, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/disability-pt.htm. For more about Social Security's handling of Wounded Warrior's disability claims, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/woundedwarriors.
Wendy Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #52
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a website that may help you understand legislation and other issues that are coming up for a vote in the House and Senate. It is called the VFW Washington weekly. It is sent once a week by e-mail to your e-mail account. I urge you to subscribe to it, find out who your Congressman and Senators are and make them aware of your stance on bills coming before them. Be pro- active.
Wendy Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #53
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

On February 19, 2014 the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry's (ATSDR) "Evaluation of mortality among Marines and Navy personnel exposed to contaminated drinking water at USMC Base Camp Lejeune: A retrospective cohort study" was published (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeu...litystudy.html).

The purpose of this study was to determine whether exposures of Marine and Naval personnel to contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune increased risk of mortality from cancers and other chronic diseases. The study focused on 154,932 Marine and Naval personnel who began active duty service during April 1975 to December 1985 and were stationed at USMC Base Camp Lejeune anytime during this period. A comparison cohort consisted of 154,969 Marine and Naval personnel who began active duty service during April 1975 - December 1985, were stationed anytime during this period at USMC Base Camp Pendleton, but were not stationed at Camp Lejeune during this period. The study relies on ATSDR's previous water modeling estimates (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeu...rmodeling.html) of past exposures to a class of chemicals known as "volatile organic compounds" (VOCs) in water.

This study is one of several health initiatives that ATSDR is expected to complete in the next several years. For more information about these studies, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/ or call (800) 232-4636.

Since 1991, the Marine Corps has supported the health initiatives conducted by various scientific agencies. We are also working diligently to identify and notify individuals who, in the past, may have been exposed to the chemicals in drinking water. For more information about these efforts or to update your contact information, please see: http://www.marines.mil/clwater/, call (877) 261-9782 or e-mail clwater@usmc.mil.

To contact Veterans Affairs to learn more about health care benefits, please visit http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/ or call (877) 222-8387 (Healthcare) or (800) 827-1000 (Benefits).
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #54
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

I just got my 2nd letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs, regarding my claim.....So, the wheels of progress are turning....it appears that they will notify me of when I need to go in and have examinations.....(hope they don't Xray my head and find NO brain...lol)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #55
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I just got my 2nd letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs, regarding my claim.....So, the wheels of progress are turning....it appears that they will notify me of when I need to go in and have examinations.....(hope they don't Xray my head and find NO brain...lol)
This is good news, I am on my second appointment and things are moving forward.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #56
Eddies66
VIP Member

Scam alert: http://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/2...k-veterans-va/
Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #57
Eddies66
VIP Member

Hiring a Vet with PTSD:

Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #58
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

I got my letter and disability rating of 70 percent..that is good news for me.. did not require any appeal. Went thru on the first try. The veterans of foreign wars handled mine. Sorry for typos. Traded in my blackberry for this smart phone that is smarter than me.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #59
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

thanks for all you do with the veterans Ed.
Glad to hear the good news for you Gary.
I can only pray you all get what You Earned!!!!!!
I met a young Marine veteran other day at pet store. late 20's. Works there and was so very helpful for me. He left armed forces but might go back as there are no good paying jobs here in New York Metro area he said.
I recommended looking into MTA, LIRR, Port Authority. NYPD and FDNY.
Told him the police force is a great paying job and bene's are great. He was hesitant but they give test 7 days a week here in NY now to get good recruits. It is not easy any more.
20 and out if he wants to retire full pension I think.
Kept it very encouraging to him as I hope he finds a good postion somewhere to proceed in a life he Earned. And will keep earning.
Good guy who needs positive encouragement from us civilians who appreciate all he, and all you Vets do.

Last edited by chris ok; 07-07-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #60
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
thanks for all you do with the veterans Ed.
Glad to hear the good news for you Gary.
I can only pray you all get what You Earned!!!!!!
I met a young Marine veteran other day at pet store. late 20's. Works there and was so very helpful for me. He left armed forces but might go back as there are no good paying jobs here in New York Metro area he said.
I recommended looking into MTA, LIRR, Port Authority. NYPD and FDNY.
Told him the police force is a great paying job and bene's are great. He was hesitant but they give test 7 days a week here in NY now to get good recruits. It is not easy any more.
20 and out if he wants to retire full pension I think.
Kept it very encouraging to him as I hope he finds a good postion somewhere to proceed in a life he Earned. And will keep earning.
Good guy who needs positive encouragement from us civilians who appreciate all he, and all you Vets do.
Have him look into the trades, heavy demand for welders. See Pipefitters or Sheetmetal Union, all are paid while you learn. He can use his post-911 GI Bill to pay the rent while he is going to school.