HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Illinois towing issues?

Jeff,
I have a question for you regarding this especially because you sell Mopars.
I recently bought a new 1 ton Ram Diesel. The Registration says it has a Scale weight just a little over 8,000 pounds and a gross weight of 14,000. When it was registered here in Washington they put Commercial as the use code. I asked the licensing agent about this and they said they had to put that down because of the gross weight. Never faced this issue before my Ford was quite a bit lighter.
So it’s a personally registered vehicle but use code says commercial (even though it’s not) so wouldn’t that fuel the fire if I was pulled over?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

States vary. DOT starts @ 10000 lbs and applies to commercial vehicles and that is federal. If you get stopped and scaled, you actual weight determines any infractions. Down here we select the GVW we want within reason related to the GVW of the truck. Your state might not have a non commercial plate for the 14k GVW. I can inquire to a few friends that handle plates for companies, but we are a little far from you. One thing it could be and we have it here; the state will charge you more for that tag. I would send a letter to your state DMV asking the questions. Can't hurt. Hope this might help.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Smile Re: Illinois towing issues?

It must be nice for these police officers having time to enforce traffic laws. I'll bet every day hundreds of kilos of cocaine are transported in their area everyday. In New Orleans, we would have to step over dead bodies to write tickets. Never had time to do anything but criminal investigations.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My wife and I went to the meeting last year. The state police and Indiana sent two representatives who were basically clueless. There is no federal length on motor homes operating, like Jeff says it is all state. This questions at least for me the state to make such a law as they all site the Federal Statutes. I will be ordering the book to carry.

My wife says the interstate commerce clause does not just apply to businesses. Its intent is to enable business between states and not curtail It prevents states from attaching sales tax to out of state purchases, for example. They are trying to come up with every Machiavellian way to gain sales tax on purchases in that regard. It reads pretty well. I believe it allows free commerce including us going to a race in my opinion. It is a bit of an esoteric assumption, but along with all the others....I am just adding up my legal position of I ever have to go to court.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 07-18-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Lynn A McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
States vary. DOT starts @ 10000 lbs and applies to commercial vehicles and that is federal. If you get stopped and scaled, you actual weight determines any infractions. Down here we select the GVW we want within reason related to the GVW of the truck. Your state might not have a non commercial plate for the 14k GVW. I can inquire to a few friends that handle plates for companies, but we are a little far from you. One thing it could be and we have it here; the state will charge you more for that tag. I would send a letter to your state DMV asking the questions. Can't hurt. Hope this might help.
Thanks Jeff,

Your knowledge and advice are much appreciated!

From what you and others have written in the past this is probably the result of the Washington state DOL being screwed up like the rest of them. It makes no sense to me that a regular pick up truck must have a commercial use code. they said it was because of how heavy it is....well what about motorhomes??? I guess I need to ask a few locals what's on their registration.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Most motorhomes have a token tag; basically a fee for the tag and it is an RV or some kind (as opposed to an RV Trailer TAg). I think NY has some kind of split system on motor home weights, but then again...... I don't know of any other state that has a system that is not a token, not to be confused with a different price depending on the selling price or value of the motor home, but there is no weight like a commercial truck tag. Always remember the gray area. Get in the gray area.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #17
FASTDIESEL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the Nostalgia Super Stock Guys got busted by the IL State Troopers, on the way to the NMCA race at Gateway, Memorial Day weekend.

Gray haired, grandpa, Fred Radier was towing a 24', non-stickered, enclosed trailer (under 10K GVW), with his 2500 Dodge Ram.

Trooper pulled him over asked what he had in the trailer. Fred responded, a race car. Trooper looked at the car and said because the car had stickers on it (contingency decals?), he was racing for money, and that made him commercial. Trooper said he had to have CDL lisc., log book, DOT physical, DOT number, etc. Fred's car is a 12 second car, that doesn't even have a name on the side!

After some arguing and a call to Doug Duel, trooper let Fred go after taking down his info.

A week later, Fred got a ticket in the mail, addressed to "Fred Radier Racing". $750.00 fine for no DOT numbers on his "rig".... and if it wasn't paid promptly, it would be $1,000.00.

This isn't some second-hand, internet story. It happened this year to one of our friends we race with at NMCA.

I haven't heard the outcome, but apparently, the IL Troopers have declared war on Drag Racers, especially the very dangerous ones with gray hair, from out of state. I guess they figure we will just pay the fine, instead of coming back for a court date. More of the discussion here: http://www.nssracing.com/forums/show...vs-Drag-Racers

New way to increase state revenue (collect taxes).

Last edited by FASTDIESEL; 07-19-2014 at 09:34 PM.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #18
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Last one I had like that, I had the guy plead not guilty in North Carolina. We were going to a hearing along with witnesses and all the above. It got to be principle. At the end, they dropped the fine from $1400 to $22 for 2000 lbs overweight on one axle and went away. Sometime you gotta fight. Sometime you gotta appeal.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
FASTDIESEL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hear you Jeff. I hope Fred went back to fight it.

My local Postmaster General said, mailing it to Fred Radier Racing, was falsifying official records. He advised to make copies, seal it back up, return to sender (return receipt requested) and state "NO SUCH ENTITY AT THIS ADDRESS".

Thanks for all your valuable info.

I think this is just Chicago Politics......Doing what they do best....
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
SwampCritter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I had just about given up on racing there. I will be sure to have a copy of 390.3 with me the next time I head up that way. It seems there are lots of NSS races up that way and I had all but scratched them from my list.

-Dave
SwampCritter is offline   Reply With Quote