HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts
Wink Re: NHRA & ESPN must HATE sportsmen.

What do you thing they think of W.J.
and the rest of the pro stocks not going to run the 2nd rd.
Does anyone know if they did spray before the 2nd rd ?
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: NHRA & ESPN must HATE sportsmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Ten second cars don't look as slow on pinks because you didn't see a four second car just run.
my thoughts exactly
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,808 Times in 1,526 Posts

The trouble here isn't that we're boring or don't have an audience. We see shows about disfunctional biker families, disfunctional Funny Car families, Ice Road Truckers and crab fishermen and maybe it's just me but they have managed to find an audience. The trouble is that Sportsmen haven't (or can't or won't) found anyone to put down the money to produce a show. For what advertizing costs I have to believe that a Sportsmen biased company (Jegs, Summit, Edelbrock) can't or hasn't looked into producing a Sportsmen related show in lieu of paying for the commercials. Hey, Musclecars, Hot Rod TV and Car Crazy are just half hour infomercials.
Now I'm not a TV producer by any stretch of the imagination but I'll bet that somebody in the Sportsmen community is in some way involved in TV production and can maybe explain to me why this can or can't be done.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen7709 View Post
I did somthing I dont normally do on the weekend. I tried to choke down a ESPN broadcast of dragracing. I told myself not to do it but the "trainwreck" watcher in me prevailed.
After watching the meaningless drivle they call interviews and a couple of commercials they finally show a peddle fest first round match up 4 times over (okay we got it the first time). Instead of this CRAP they could show tidbits of sportsman racing and increasing the amount of actual racing.BUT NOOOOOOO they want to show "sounds of the strip" instead!

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!

The piss poor editing, lack of real racing and the "pro wrestling' mentality of NHRA on tv has once again confirmed that NHRA & ESPN HATE sportsman racing. WHY? Maybe because we are more interesting and they know it but dont want to let people know that.
Okay i have vented but seriously is there someone out there who can set us up with a good tv producer and get us our own show?

Does anyone else agree with me or am i just a ranting fool who believes we have marketing value?

Lawnmower racing gets better coverage than we do...
It's not that they hate us, they just don't think about us. They could care less.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
NHRA broadcasts are tiresome in the ways that you mention, but sportsman racing, while fun to watch live, is not something meant for TV, IMO. They appear to be crawling down the strip. If they were a viable TV product, I think they would have been telecast by now.

No disrespect to any of you sportsman. I can watch you all day live, but not on TV.
This is just a camera angle and distance problem. All they have to do is a live cam longer and closer shots following the cars down. When ur doing fuel cars they they wide angle the lens cause of the speed. With us, they need to focus on the tree, wheelstands, the incrementals and photo finishes cause there are a lot of them!!

Then get some decent announcers that know the sport, geeze most of the announcers sound like golf announcers. Rick is right, If you really want to see how its done, look at how they make the "Pinks" shows!! They add a little drama to the racing by getting the fans to know the sports. I don't exactly like the way they do it; it needs to be cleaned up a bit, but that's what people like!!

I've seen runs on you tube better that speed channel!!!!

Stacy

Last edited by PONTIAC'S REVENGE; 07-12-2010 at 10:27 AM.
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
[QUOTE

Lawnmower racing gets better coverage than we do...

i love this tractor what engine is that?
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

There's another way of looking at the pro's and sportsman racing, ESPN may know that the sportsman racing would be alot more fun for TV audiance, but NHRA wants to keep just the pro catigories on the air. You're not going to get from a sportsman racer that his "Snap-on,Castrol, ARP,Jerico,Mcleod,Valvoline,Target,Walmart,Ford,Ch evy" broke out because he miss judged the finish line on an interview. That's it!

Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
67chevygary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't quite understand all the bitchin about lack of sportsman coverage. some of the mot outstanding coverage of sportsman racing is happening RIGHT HERE from some of the best commentators and photographers you could possibly hope for. with actual racers providing timely and accurate info. this list of reporting provided by the likes of Toby Lang-Larry Hill-Ken Miehle and Jack Matayas just to name a few far surpasses anything that could be provided from some suit at a tv studio. so next time you find yourself disgusted with espn coverage turn off that idiot box-get your lazy a%% off the couch and tune into Class Racer and Dragracecental for the best coverage of real dragracing one could possibly hope for. thanks again to Toby-Larry-Ken and Jack!
67chevygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

On a somewhat-related topic--does anyone know why NHRA doesn't have live finals/qualifying coverage anymore? I thought the reason they did away with it was due to oildowns and downtime causing them to run behind schedule. Now, with the 75 minute turnarounds for the Pro's, and limited Sportsman action on Sunday, why not go back to Live stuff? When Indy had live coverage during the weekend, they showed ALL Finals live, from Super Gas to Top Fuel. Why not now? You could still stick us lowly Sportsman into a five minute window and still have 2-3 hours of other time for your precious Pro Show. NHRA also used to have a live, all-day Sunday show on Pay Per View for a while, but I think I know why they don't now--NHRA would want too big of a cut from the cable/satellite providers for the providers to make any money.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,049 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevygary View Post
I don't quite understand all the bitchin about lack of sportsman coverage. some of the mot outstanding coverage of sportsman racing is happening RIGHT HERE from some of the best commentators and photographers you could possibly hope for. with actual racers providing timely and accurate info. this list of reporting provided by the likes of Toby Lang-Larry Hill-Ken Miehle and Jack Matayas just to name a few far surpasses anything that could be provided from some suit at a tv studio. so next time you find yourself disgusted with espn coverage turn off that idiot box-get your lazy a%% off the couch and tune into Class Racer and Dragracecental for the best coverage of real dragracing one could possibly hope for. thanks again to Toby-Larry-Ken and Jack!
That coverage is great, for us. But it doesn't go beyond this site, so it doesn't sell sportsman class racing.