HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
68camaroSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2004 silverado instrument cluster guages

Thought I would post this to see if anyone had experienced this. I have a 2004 Chevy dually. At 82,200 miles, the speedo completely malfunctioned. I called GM and they said it will need a new instrument guage cluster, cost about $600 for the unit plus labor. There was special coverage (not a recall - a recall would be good indefiently) letter sent to owners from GM to cover this defect, within 7 years or 70,000 miles. GM Customer Service stated that because of a class action law suit, that coverage was extended from 70,000 to 80,000 miles. That still leaves me left out, being about 2,000 over the milage. They would not budge on helping me with the repair bill. The lady I talked to said the decision was final, and I could not appeal my case. The dealer says the same. Am I out of luck, or does anyone know anything else I can do, since this is a known manufacturer defect and an unsafe condition? thanks,
68camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Stick Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2004 silverado instrument cluster guages

Had same problem with 2002. Also friends 2004 GMC. I could never get it to malfunction for dealer. We both knew what problem was but they wouldn't fix it. After about five years, I went to the local GMC dealer to pay the $600. Couldn't take it anymore. (Not gonna patronize Chevy dealer I bought it from).Good friends with service manger so I had to pay 'co-pay' for $50.00. Haven't had a problem since. Also hve a 04 with 6.0 engine. Popped two heads off exhaust mainfolds with 36200miles- 200 miles over warrantry. Refused to fix it.There's a reason they are bankrupt.

Andy Stone
Stick Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

My 2005 Silverado did the same thing. I just use the GPS now for speed. I know what the tach should read at certain speeds. I found a speedo repair place in Tampa Fl that reconditions them for a cheeper rate. Look for them on Google key in speedometer repair. As I remember they will ship anywhere.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

There are several places that can repair your IPC much cheaper than replacing it.This was a known issue for quite some time all our customers that complained of it got a new IPC even if we couldn't duplicate it. Right now it's extremely difficult to get G.M. to "good will" anything for years it was basically covered if asked for, I think they've really tightened up to obviously save money. Joe
Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Lambertcars

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Your Dealer that you talked to is overcharging you for the inst.cluster,I work at a Chevrolet Dealer in the Service Dept.and when a customer has a promblem with the spedo,tach or any gauges we connect the Tech 2 to the diag.plug and check the cluster gauges and it will tell what gauge are bad,then we get the part number of the cluster useing the Tech 2 and the Parts Dept will get a reman cluster overnight and replacment of the cluster and reprograming is about $375.00 for everything.also the years that we see the promblem is 2003-2005.Dont let the Dealer you are dealing with tell you that you have to have a new cluster,when they can get a reman.for your veh.
Lambertcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Last I heard was only remans. were available, not sure on the cost of one through our shop as it's all Warranty and don't see the prices on my R.O. I've never yet had to price on for CP so I'm sure you're correct on the price. Don't forget that these clusters have to be set up and programmed after installation, well most of them. We've had some sent that were already setup and programmed. Joe
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a friend that had the same problem with a 2005 tahoe. Speedo went out. I did some checking on Ebay and found a company that sells the parts to fix them. I forget what the actual name of the part is, but it cost me about $20.00 bucks and came with instructions on how to replace it. I did the repair and it has been working fine. I will see if I can find the info you need. The company will also do the repairs for you if you send them your instrument cluster.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Go to Ebay and search for instrument cluster stepper motors. Each gauge in the cluster uses the same stepper motors. There is a company on Ebay called Digital Speedometer Repair Service that sell 6 of these stepper motors for $35.00. They come with instructions on how to replace them and assistance over the phone if you need. It took me about an hour to replace the one for the speedo in friends 05 tahoe. Has been working fine ever since. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Mark Ruset

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

68camaroSS, send me a PM maybe I can assist you with GM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Detroit Bob

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Try this guy, my son is ready to take his cluster out of a 04 Bonneville and will probably send it to him.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories