HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
jim powers

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default ring and pinion microniting

need to see who is the preferred guy to have a new set of motive pro gears micronited??
jim powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
dannyboy

Liked 42 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: ring and pinion microniting

Tommy Lee Performance
Statesville, N.C
423-534-1457

Great Guy and great service
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: ring and pinion microniting

I've had gears done at Evans Performance in Atlanta, GA. They appear to be outlasting non-treated sets.

http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html
Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
tommy lee performance
statesville, n.c
423-534-1457

great guy and great service
x2
Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can somebody tell me what exactly this is and its benefits?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

69 Cobra,

this will help

http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html
Old 10-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
Well I guess I'm missing something here. I understand the REM or ISF finishes and the Cryo treatment. But what about the micronited as the OP is referring to? I'm assuming that this is a "friction coating" but is this a dry film coating that is applied that can and will wear or chip off or is it something that is imbedded into the metal like I understand Microblue to be? I'm just trying to figure out what does what and how they are different from each other. I've been looking at Microblue'ing my ring and pinion but I'm just trying to understand the differences between everything that's out there.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Micronite is the name of a company which began in New Jersey then was purchased and made part of the Crane Cams Company which went bankrupt. Those who purchased the cam and ignition products did not buy the metal finishing business.

Micronite had machines constructed (did not purchase machinery) and developed their own processes.
Some or all of Micronite metal finishing machines were purchased by Tommy Lee Performance mentioned above.

The process is called isotropic metal finishing it is not a coating. The advantage over some other processes is that the finish in non directional. The part is tumbled with abrasives of different size, shape and grit, dry or wet. The part and abrasives are loaded in a drum which is loaded in rack with others. The rack rotates while simultaneously the drums rotate in the opposite direction. Speed frequency and time along with the abrasive and fluid are very important as you may imagine the motion creates a homogeneous mixing process.
The object is to remove high spots (peaks) on the metal surface while leaving the low spots (valleys). Little material is actually removed we're talking tens of thousandths, other process are very aggressive. Depending on how many steps in the process the part can end looking like it was chrome plated. When you see the crank shafts at PRI that look chrome plated they were put though an isotropic finishing process.

The high abrasive peaks removed leaving the low lubricant holding valleys. Where metal contacts metal friction and heat is reduced, much of the opportunities for cracks to develop are removed.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Barnstorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to smoke Kent cigarettes with the Micronite filter
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Micronite is the name of a company which began in New Jersey then was purchased and made part of the Crane Cams Company which went bankrupt. Those who purchased the cam and ignition products did not buy the metal finishing business.

Micronite had machines constructed (did not purchase machinery) and developed their own processes.
Some or all of Micronite metal finishing machines were purchased by Tommy Lee Performance mentioned above.

The process is called isotropic metal finishing it is not a coating. The advantage over some other processes is that the finish in non directional. The part is tumbled with abrasives of different size, shape and grit, dry or wet. The part and abrasives are loaded in a drum which is loaded in rack with others. The rack rotates while simultaneously the drums rotate in the opposite direction. Speed frequency and time along with the abrasive and fluid are very important as you may imagine the motion creates a homogeneous mixing process.
The object is to remove high spots (peaks) on the metal surface while leaving the low spots (valleys). Little material is actually removed we're talking tens of thousandths, other process are very aggressive. Depending on how many steps in the process the part can end looking like it was chrome plated. When you see the crank shafts at PRI that look chrome plated they were put though an isotropic finishing process.

The high abrasive peaks removed leaving the low lubricant holding valleys. Where metal contacts metal friction and heat is reduced, much of the opportunities for cracks to develop are removed.
Ok... SO if I'm understanding this correctly, this basically the same as the REM or ISF surface finishing which removes the high spots and make everything look all nice and shiny?