HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #111
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
According to the 2014 NHRA RULE BOOK - All cars in Stock classes must be factory-production assembled , showroom available, and in the hands of the general public. A minimum of 500 units of a particular style must be produced.

How many of the factory cars (copo's drag-packs, cobra jets) are built each year??? How many of them are available to the general public through the dealer showrooms??

I think many of the questions can be answered by examining these criteria.

Evidently NHRA doesn't follow their own rulebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new cars (built after 2008), they just need to be put where they belong and factored properly.
Yep. Then you have Teuton running a car/motor combo that doesn't even
exsist...Except in Glendora.
cudadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #112
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post
Finally .. a simple answer .. I bought ours through Jeff Teuton's Southland dodge in 2011 .. the only year it was offered to the lucky 50 .. but somehow I am sure that answer will not be good enough.
You didn't buy that thru the showroom. You bought that as a part number from the parts department and that was the whole point you missed. There has never been any of these that have been available off the showroom floor.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #113
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post

Next year there will be 50 FSS cars - then what?

Change the index to 9.70 and 10.0 and the problem will go away for now,

Unless people keep finding new things which need to be changed - LMFAO

The racers (Burton and Wilkes) that initiated this conversation were running B/SA. How does changing the FSS index fix anything regarding factory race cars being allowed to get free rounds at the expense of the loyal traditional stocker?

You made a decision to replace your well used '70 Chevy stocker with a 1 of 50 V10 Challenger. Probably a good move on your part if it turns you on.

Keep LYFAO

Tracy

Last edited by Pedigo Perf; 09-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #114
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

wow where do I start, I wont cause it would make a bunch of people upset
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #115
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

And the new cars dead horse keeps get beat. The problem is not new the cars or there bogus HP ratings. The problem is you guys don’t like the new style of SS/STK racers with large amounts disposable income. All you old time 70’s, 80’s and 90’s racers are mad because $125,000 buys your way to the top. And your $50,000 stocker with bogus heads and intake or $75,000 SS car with a $35,000 Eng that comes dyno and ready to run is left in the dust. But 10 years ago all of you that are crying had no problem spending that money and beating the guys that were spend less money than you. Now the tables have turned and they have the advantage and you don’t. That’s the real reason you all are mad, everyone always throws stones at the people at the top.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #116
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Short version:
1) The factory race cars are indefensibly underfactored. Start their factor anywhere CLOSE to the right zip code and there would not have been anywhere near as many complaints about them.

2) Having some classes ineligible to be affected by the AHFS while everyone else is, is completely indefensible.

In my opinion, they should have brought the cars in with realistic HP factors, and if they did not fit into Stock Eliminator classifications, then they should've gone straight to Super Stock, just like the old Hemi factory race cars. I'm not sure why showing how well someone can detune a car to keep from displaying its full potential is supposed to be good advertising for the "sell on Monday" crowd. The Hellcat rocked the automotive industry by claiming 707HP and 10-sec ET slips from a soon-to-be showroom available monster. Who would've given it a second glance if they came out and said, "This supercharged engine makes almost 426HP!"

Something I haven't seen mentioned is having 8-second cars competing against cars running 100 mph or less, typically without so much as a roll bar. I'll be honest, I'm kinda glad I haven't been running the Turismo. If a trans line or radiator hose comes loose and one of those 150 mph cars goes THROUGH me, I'm a dead man. Those cars should've been classified in Super Stock, in my opinion. Otherwise, realistically, they should start requiring a minimum of a roll bar in all classes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run a 5.9L DragPak engine in my Volare (GT/HA). I built it specifically *because* it is ridiculously underfactored.

Quote:
The problem is you guys don’t like the new style of SS/STK racers with large amounts disposable income.
No, and that's already been articulated to the contrary by everyone. The vast majority of people in S/SS racing have more money and spend more money than I do. I'm more than happy to park next to toterhomes & stackers with my pickup and open trailer. The amount of money someone spent on a combination is completely irrelevant to how realistic the HP factor is. Compared to my old 360 Magnum crate motor, my fuel-injected 360 with more cam, more compression, aluminum cylinder heads and 1000cfm throttle body is rated 50HP less. It is as you would say, "not even close".

Last edited by Michael Beard; 09-02-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #117
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I like the new cars.
However, I believe they were put into the wrong group 6 years ago. (as well as having a GROSSLY underrated h.p. number on paper)

In 2008-2009 there were not many of them around.

5 years later and there are plenty now to run in their own Eliminator category. ( F/X)

There was almost enough of those " VIN-Less" cars at Indy to run their own 64 car program.

Last edited by ALMACK; 09-02-2014 at 09:52 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #118
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,727 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
According to the 2014 NHRA RULE BOOK - All cars in Stock classes must be factory-production assembled , showroom available, and in the hands of the general public. A minimum of 500 units of a particular style must be produced.

How many of the factory cars (copo's drag-packs, cobra jets) are built each year??? How many of them are available to the general public through the dealer showrooms??

I think many of the questions can be answered by examining these criteria.

Evidently NHRA doesn't follow their own rulebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new cars (built after 2008), they just need to be put where they belong and factored properly.
NHRA is following their own rulebook. Maybe, instead of being selective with your quotations from the rule book, you should share the whole section?
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #119
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Short version:
1) The factory race cars are indefensibly underfactored. Start their factor anywhere CLOSE to the right zip code and there would not have been anywhere near as many complaints about them.

2) Having some classes ineligible to be affected by the AHFS while everyone else is, is completely indefensible.

In my opinion, they should have brought the cars in with realistic HP factors, and if they did not fit into Stock Eliminator classifications, then they should've gone straight to Super Stock, just like the old Hemi factory race cars. I'm not sure why showing how well someone can detune a car to keep from displaying its full potential is supposed to be good advertising for the "sell on Monday" crowd. The Hellcat rocked the automotive industry by claiming 707HP and 10-sec ET slips from a soon-to-be showroom available monster. Who would've given it a second glance if they came out and said, "This supercharged engine makes almost 426HP!"

Something I haven't seen mentioned is having 8-second cars competing against cars running 100 mph or less, typically without so much as a roll bar. I'll be honest, I'm kinda glad I haven't been running the Turismo. If a trans line or radiator hose comes loose and one of those 150 mph cars goes THROUGH me, I'm a dead man. Those cars should've been classified in Super Stock, in my opinion. Otherwise, realistically, they should start requiring a minimum of a roll bar in all classes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run a 5.9L DragPak engine in my Volare (GT/HA). I built it specifically *because* it is ridiculously underfactored.

^^ I agree.
I've often wondered what would happen if I got paired up with one of those 8 sec. "VIN-less" cars and I trap at 106 mph and he comes buzzing past me at 150 plus mph.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #120
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,727 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
^^ I agree.
I've often wondered what would happen if I got paired up with one of those 8 sec. "VIN-less" cars and I trap at 106 mph and he comes buzzing past me at 150 plus mph.
How is that much different from an SS/P car running an SS/AH car?
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote