Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: Ya gotta be kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
"instead of the current class" - I can't speak for Joe but it appears that he thinks these cars would be better suited in Pro Stock than running them in Stock. And I agree with that.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
"instead of the current class" - I can't speak for Joe but it appears that he thinks these cars would be better suited in Pro Stock than running them in Stock. And I agree with that.
Me too....we're thinking the same thing, just in a different way.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

wish that was my 429
Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #24
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts

In addition to the Ford 429, Dodge added the 6.1 street engine for the 2009-10 Challengers. Derated from 425hp to 340, E/F/G car.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Although Jesse does not mention us - with the V10 now in FS/B (NA class) we will be competitive although the 3500 lbs will not allow us to dominate like those engines less than 450 CI who only have to weigh 3200 lbs

IMHO

Ron
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #26
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Personally, I like the Factory Shootout cars and the ensuing competition. What they (the factories) are doing is similar to what was happening during the Super Stock wars of the mid-1960s and nostalgia claims those were the glory days. Whether or not they should "be in" Pro Stock is a different issue, but the presence of these new technology cars is definitely fueling serious evaluation of the current Pro Stock class formula, which has been in need of a revamping for 15 years. I do not like the non-production paper cars that end up in traditional classes and I would like the factories to release the specs for their production cars for "normal" classification. Then if NHRA would realistically introduce those cars with reasonable power factors a platform would be established for continuing to feed Stock class racing in the future.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #27
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Dwight, that is what the aforementioned 6.1 and about 90 days ago the 5.7 are about. Showroom stock, with dead stock specs, much different than the Drag Pak motors. Stock bodies and stock specs. I have one of each of the three motors 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 and the progression on each with respect to performance is very noticable. I also have all the engineers final drawings for the foundry, and the items that change, and as I was told, to pass emissions and make hp is so obvious. You can see where the street versions are going. You can trace much of the things in these new Gen III Hemi motors directly to racing. What they have done is gotten 'casting horsepower' for no charge. They have to be casted and machined anyway, and it don't cost a dime more to make these upgrades. We are getting a dead stock 6.1 ready for the dyno just to see what it will do. Factory ratings are done with a complete muffler system, water pump running, and alternator working on pump gas. We will change to race fuel, headers, an engine management system, and any other stuff pertaining to our dyno. We ran a hone thru it just to clean it up. It is an assembly line motor. Should be interesting. I would like to build a dead stock one, but I prefer a water car or theft recovery as opposed to a wreck, so I'm sure somewhere down here, there will be a flood.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Dwight, that is what the aforementioned 6.1 and about 90 days ago the 5.7 are about. Showroom stock, with dead stock specs, much different than the Drag Pak motors. Stock bodies and stock specs. I have one of each of the three motors 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 and the progression on each with respect to performance is very noticable. I also have all the engineers final drawings for the foundry, and the items that change, and as I was told, to pass emissions and make hp is so obvious. You can see where the street versions are going. You can trace much of the things in these new Gen III Hemi motors directly to racing. What they have done is gotten 'casting horsepower' for no charge. They have to be casted and machined anyway, and it don't cost a dime more to make these upgrades. We are getting a dead stock 6.1 ready for the dyno just to see what it will do. Factory ratings are done with a complete muffler system, water pump running, and alternator working on pump gas. We will change to race fuel, headers, an engine management system, and any other stuff pertaining to our dyno. We ran a hone thru it just to clean it up. It is an assembly line motor. Should be interesting. I would like to build a dead stock one, but I prefer a water car or theft recovery as opposed to a wreck, so I'm sure somewhere down here, there will be a flood.
Jeff check your pm's
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #29
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's a frickin awesome idea making use of the old D3 heads to compete with the Chevy's and the Mopar's. Off the shelf parts, pretty much straight forward build with lots of D3 manifolds to choose from unless you want to go sheet metal. The Jesel rocker components are still available, some in bulk from various Nascar parts outlet sources; and the cranks, rods, and pistons are no biggy. Put it in front of a 3rd pedal set up and have a blast
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
I think it's a frickin awesome idea making use of the old D3 heads to compete with the Chevy's and the Mopar's. Off the shelf parts, pretty much straight forward build with lots of D3 manifolds to choose from unless you want to go sheet metal. The Jesel rocker components are still available, some in bulk from various Nascar parts outlet sources; and the cranks, rods, and pistons are no biggy. Put it in front of a 3rd pedal set up and have a blast
It appears you are not familiar with Stock/Super Stock engine rules and specs.
No, you cannot just go build an Ebay engine.
There is a specification sheet for cylinder head volumes, stroke and rod lengths.
Also specific part numbers for the cylinder heads, intake crankshaft and connecting rods..
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote