Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post
I hate myself for not being able to hold back any longer. Boring 3-day weekend, I guess, forces me to do something.

How about cars over 40 years old run in a nostalgia stock category and not stock eliminator?

You are watching the future of drag racing - with current cars produced by the factories. Cars whose body styles you can purchase in a showroom today (not everybody who buys a car wants a race car).

You guys think blood, sweat and effort happens on a garage floor. It can happen in a job where you earn a living and spend your money as you see fit. I mortgaged my house and spent my retirement to get in the game and stop complaining. I do not have a lot of years left.

I am sure we have spent more time -- on the engine and chassis dyno, runs down the drag strip tuning + changing things and money to go to more than 40 races in the last four years -- more than any of the keyboard jockeys on this website - message me to compare notes. For those of you who think we have not worked on our combination - get your head out of where ever it is and try seeing the light of day.

Ok guys this should keep us busy for the rest of the weekend. Light it up boys.

BTW - I heard this a long time ago --

"The difference between a puppy and a drag racer is the puppy learns to quit whining".

Ron Durham
Proud V10 drag Pak owner

Ron,

I recognize and applauded your race program...

You and your program fit into Stock Eliminator because you have to race with the same set of rules that are for new, 10, 20, 30 or 40 year old race cars.

If your program is go fast, you take your hit and move on.

Larry Hill went very fast in a 28 year old race car (truck) and he will get a 29 horsepower gift for his efforts. That rule is the same for MOST racers in Stock Eliminator.

How about putting 75 horsepower on the Shootout cars, like they earned in qualifying

New cars belong in Stock Eliminator but under the same set of rules for ALL cars that race in Stock Eliminator.

There is a way to fix this problem with The Factory Shootout Cars and that would be to bring back to INDY the way that qualifying used to be:

Class Winners and the rest of the field filled with the fastest qualifiers with an AHFS in place..

Let them battle heads up to win class for the privilege to race in the Eliminator.

If they race in Stock, they need to use Stock Rules...

Bob
Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Jim Whitehead

Liked 145 Times in 38 Posts

For the record I run a 1980's car. It is nice to see the automakers getting back involved in stock racing. However some of these combos are not ones that you can walk into the dealership and purchase. They are specific built race cars. I have no issue with people purchasing new cars and working on a new combo, after all we do need new cars coming into the class. However if NHRA allows the factory built cars to run in stock and take up qualifying spots then they should never be allowed to be AHFS exempt. So tell me why is it fair to let the new cars run all out with no penalty for HP. If we all run in STOCK then we should ALL follow the SAME RULES!
Jim Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I'm like a lot of people my age or older that have raced for a lot of years. I'm just about done. If it wasn't for my son Andrew I would be done. I sold my car about a month ago, and I will mainly be Andrew's crew chief from now on. Because I have his car in Louisville and he's in Michigan I will probably race his car a few times a year, mainly at combos and one or two opens. I hope this lasts for a few more years for Andrew because he dearly loves it. I wasn't trying to start an argument with this thread but to point out how NHRA and the factories could have integrated the new cars into the sport without hurting people who have supported them for 30 or 40 years. To favor one group over another by an organization that's supposed to provide a level playing field is what really bothers me.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Ron , my friend.. So do you recommend everyone should have to do what you did, in order to be competitive in the upper Stock classes, if that's what it takes?
Yes
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #25
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Yes
So it's buy a "new" car or quit then. That seems to be the message from NHRA as well. Nice
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
Andys dad
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Mark, I was not going to go there, but I figured someone would.

Honestly, I dearly love the sport. I'm working a day job for a major corporation now, plus running my own business. I worked most every day off this year.

But I will be damned if I will mortgage my house, or spend all of my savings to race.

I suppose if some people wish to out spend the rest of us, and drive us out, and NHRA is willing to be a party to it, then so be it.
Life is full of tough decisions - BTW racing is not one of them -- but it was easy for me to make the switch - taking the leap came naturally to me - I am sure you folks with money (you do not want spend) are making the correct decision for your selves.

Fault me for my decision - that makes sense

I did not out spend anyone - you all have more money than me - I am not trying to drive any one out - I am saying run nostalgia stock with a 40 year old car.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Yes
I suppose that's okay, if you want to be competitive by outspending your competition and having the rules changed to suit you.

If you can be happy with that, and proud of it, well, good for you.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
Andys dad
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigo Perf View Post
So it's buy a "new" car or quit then. That seems to be the message from NHRA as well. Nice
No - NHRA needs a nostalgia stock eliminator - then the new cars can race themselves.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #29
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Life is full of tough decisions - BTW racing is not one of them -- but it was easy for me to make the switch - taking the leap came naturally to me - I am sure you folks with money (you do not want spend) are making the correct decision for your selves.

Fault me for my decision - that makes sense

I did not out spend anyone - you all have more money than me - I am not trying to drive any one out - I am saying run nostalgia stock with a 40 year old car.
I have more money than you?

Yeah, I bet.

I work on cars for a living, with my hands.

I have ten years left on my mortgage.

I drive an 11 year old truck.

And I still work in my own shop, on other people's cars, 3-4 nights a week, and at least half the weekend.

Yeah, I'm sure we all have more money than you.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #30
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:

And what sanctioning body would that be with? NHRA is wrong on this as it stands and you can't argue that.
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote