Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #41
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Rockers for stock Eliminator 5.0 SBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
Don't the Ford Racing rockers the OP was looking for have to be shimmed as well?
Yes and no.. You only have to shim them to get the rocker to sit on the top of the valve correctly.. The cup where the push rod rides is adjustable so if your valve is the correct length you should not need shims at all
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #42
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
The reason this rule is clear as mud is because many people across the country are getting different answers from their tech guys...

it was legal in the PAST to cut off the pedestals and make it a stud mount. You had to make it work with stock parts which was very doable on the E7 head as we did it. When they changed the rule to allow the aftermarket rocker arms this became illegal. The rule clearly states that if it was pedestal it has to remain pedestal. if it was stud it has to be stud and if it was shaft it hast to be shaft.. there is no way to misinterpret the rule the way it is written..

The biggest issue is people have gotten away with having a different style rocker setup for so long no one went back and changed their setup when the rule changed. And I would venture to guess that people that "have had it this way for years... why is it illegal now?" have gotten away with it in tear down. Why is that fair to the new guy that now has to follow the new rule? Luckily it looks like I got a set of the rocker arms the OP is looking for before Ford racing stop making them. otherwise I'd be in the same ****ty place he is.

BTW we have a set of heads the we had about $2000 in that are now illegal the way the rule is written.. guess what, we took them off the car cause it's ILLEGAL.

I wish I had some ides for the OP as to what to do. Was actually going to be in the market for another set soon and this will make things difficult.

Brad
Brad - There is still a currently available alternative... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s40076a/overview/
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #43
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
The rules seem pretty cut and dry to me. They state pedestal mount must remain pedestal mount, and stud mount must remain stud mount. If it was a pressed in stud, then replacing with a screw in stud would still be legal, because it would still use the same style of rocker arm mounting.
The rule language was changed in 2014 when roller rockers were introduced. Prior to the introduction of roller rockers, the rule book was not specific as regards to the OEM configuration.

The rule book just said that guideplates and studs were allowed and the reason why a lot of racers did put guideplates and studs with the OEM rockers. As a matter of fact, many Ford racers used the Boss 302/Boss 351 and 429 Cobrajet fulcrums that allows the use of studs with the OEM Ford rockers.

Again, the language was added when roller rockers were allowed in the class.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #44
HawkBrosMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
The rule language was changed in 2014 when roller rockers were introduced. Prior to the introduction of roller rockers, the rule book was not specific as regards to the OEM configuration.

The rule book just said that guideplates and studs were allowed and the reason why a lot of racers did put guideplates and studs with the OEM rockers. As a matter of fact, many Ford racers used the Boss 302/Boss 351 and 429 Cobrajet fulcrums that allows the use of studs with the OEM Ford rockers.

Again, the language was added when roller rockers were allowed in the class.

Which then made these old setups with the studs and guide plates illegal.. That fulcrum setup is exactly what I used before the language of the rule changed.. We all have to change with rules we can't just say well it was that way before so in still legal.. That's not how it works.. That's why we have rule changes.. NHRA decided to allow roller rockers but took away another option when they allowed the roller rockers.. That's what everyone gets for asking for these not stock items to be passed as legal in stock.. If we just want to run whatever why even have the designation as stock anymore?

Brad
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #45
Slickfoot

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The official word from NHRA is ,it's just like section 10A page 5. Must remain same design as original application.
I want to thank everone who posted on this thread and everone who called and E-mailed me. Now I'm waiting for my heads to come back from Mech. shop and I will start getting it back togather. I'm going to call Chris at Comp tomarrow on how to set the pre-load on these 877-16 lifters with the stock pedestal rockers.
thanks
Slickfoot
Slickfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 AM   #46
HandOverFist
VIP Member

I would go with the Comps Slickfoot. With the springs you are likely to use the factory arms might not last too long and you won't need to fiddle with shims.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #47
HawkBrosMav

Slickfoot

I just talked to Tony Denysenko and he said that he carries the PRW brand rockers. I looked at the website and it looks a lot like the Ford Racing ones I have. pedestal mount with the adjustable pushrod cup. looks like they are only like $370 from PRW too not sure if Tony could get them to you any cheaper.

Brad
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #48
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Good find Brad. https://www.prw-usa.com/product/spor...r-arms-0335101
Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #49
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Did you ever check the YellaTerra rockers .
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #50
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

I did, might be questionable the way they mount, price is up there, I would buy em in a heartbeat.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote