HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 11-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
BIGG18c

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Default Weather Station Selection (Help!)

I have been seriously considering investing in a weather station. I have mainly looked into Altronics but am open to any suggestions you all may have. I do not need the best of the best since it will mainly be used for a slower footbrake car but I also believe in the buy once cry once idea.

My main questions are:

1: Pros and cons between trailer based and hand held? ( Is it a pain to set up and tear down trailer based, Is it better to just have a hand held with you in the car, Is trailer based more accurate)

2: What software would you all suggest? (currently looking at crew chief pro and family software)

3: Am I just over thinking this or should I just keep using the old gut feeling approach to dialing my car? (This does work about 80% of the time)
Old 12-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: Weather Station Selection (Help!)

Hand held, price wise. Crew Chief Pro program. I've been using a cheap Taylor Precision Products traditional weather station for 40 plus years and it's just as accurate as my friends $1000 unit. You still can get it on Amazon for 60 bucks. Join us on Bracket Racing group on Facebook. These class guys don't care about bracket racers.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
TBear5033

Liked 83 Times in 12 Posts

I use a trailer based system - started with Altronics since that came with the trailer and subsequently switched to an AltaLab after playing with one. I found it more accurate and easier to use. I also use CrewChief Pro which takes the readings from the AltaLab every 15 secs to calculate a dial in based on what runs I select to dial off of. I also have it set up to text/email me the prediction. I'm a fan of this approach for a couple of reasons - 1 I don't have to manually calculate an estimated dial in anymore leaving me time to do other things (I race by myself) and 2 when I'm up in the staging lanes and there's a delay (like an oil down) or it's early/late in the day and the weather is changing quickly I can get updated info.

This doesn't replace the gut feel element, particularly if you're pitted a long way from the track or there are obstacles that impeded the station's readings (mostly wind).

It takes me about 3 minutes to set up when I get to the track, so it's not a big deal. It's an essential part of racing for me.

Good luck!
TBear5033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #4
BIGG18c

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Thank you both for the information!