HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Another new combo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
I can answer that question for ya.....uummm no you cant cut the shock towers back. ..been asking for that for years!!
That's what I expected too. Think I'll just continue to bracket race and leave class racing to the turbo mini vans for now while I look for a better combo. Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!
Fairlanes4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Are you set on a Fairlane? I would suggest the 65 combo. Mustang and Comet also same motors. Where do you live? If close to alot of IHRA races, you could build a Fox body with a 289 and race stock/gt.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlanes4ever View Post
That's what I expected too. Think I'll just continue to bracket race and leave class racing to the turbo mini vans for now while I look for a better combo. Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!
Welcome to the sanatorium. I personally think it would be great to see your Fairlane in stock. Methinks you do have a couple serious problems. Sounds like your car has already been cut up too much to return to stock form. Then finding parts for a 50 year old engine, the 260 Ford. As you have already stated, core parts for the 289 are hard enough to come by and in saying that, those parts are still plentiful. Usable ones are the issue. Parts for 260's, those are rare as hens teeth today.

For those of us with the "POS Mustang II's, turd 305's and the turbo minivans", stock class is a challenge. I hope you find a car and can come out and play. Good luck, hope I get to pull up beside you in my "POS Mustang II" someday.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Welcome to the sanatorium. I personally think it would be great to see your Fairlane in stock. Methinks you do have a couple serious problems. Sounds like your car has already been cut up too much to return to stock form. Then finding parts for a 50 year old engine, the 260 Ford. As you have already stated, core parts for the 289 are hard enough to come by and in saying that, those parts are still plentiful. Usable ones are the issue. Parts for 260's, those are rare as hens teeth today.

For those of us with the "POS Mustang II's, turd 305's and the turbo minivans", stock class is a challenge. I hope you find a car and can come out and play. Good luck, hope I get to pull up beside you in my "POS Mustang II" someday.
I'd love to pull up next to your Mustang II convince NHRA to let me! Every time I read the rule book I get pissed.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Everett Hill

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The shock towers could be repaired or replaced. The 63, 260 or 289hp would not be a dime rocket in stock. It would take a lot of time & $$$ to make it just run index. If you are set on the 63 fairlane ss/gt would be the best way to go.
I have run both the 260 & 63 289hp I know, Ran 63 289hp fairlane & 260 falcon & 221 falcon All stock
Old 04-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say that the shock towers being cut make things soooo much easier that there's no way I'd go back. Honestly there's no performance advantage whatsoever to the altered towers with a small block so I don't see the issue considering the car came with a.small block. Rules are rules regardless. Yes I'm set on the set on the car because its what I have. Been a great project for many years and will continue to be mainly because there aren't many out there. Not a problem though, many other options. NMCA/NMRA, UMTR, or just plain old bracket car.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
I'd love to pull up next to your Mustang II convince NHRA to let me! Every time I read the rule book I get pissed.
Some combos are good in NHRA stock, some aren't. Sometimes what you have isn't practicable.

Robert and I searched for a viable combo,then I ran across the Mustang II on craigslist. We finally have discovered that trying to make what you have fit is not the best way to go.

Hard won knowledge having done /been exactly where you are, ask Robert lol
I have a decent trans am I would love to run NHRA , we have a 66 nova that has been modified to the point we can't use it either.

That's part of the challenge, finding a combo that is competitive. Trust me a "pos Mustang II" would not have been our first choice, lol .

NHRA stock is not necessarily about the "coolest" car, but who finds the car that fits best. I love that you want to run the old car, it just may not be practical.

Also some would argue stock has wondered far enough from "stock"
Stock is about competition within those rules
Tod Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #18
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Hi, new to forum and was curious. I have a '63 Ford Fairlane that I was considering running in stock eliminator. Was available with a 260 or 289 Hipo . Both with 4 speed. 260 would put it in T/S and 289 in H/S. Was kinda interested in the 260 combo just because it seems so off the wall. Is this a viable combo? If I run the 289 combo will I need '63 specific block and heads because those are impossible to find. Been a bracket racer for many years and ready to do something different.
how would you feel about a 66-67 fairlane wagon?
I spotted one sitting alongside a shed in Northern Colorado...