HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Another new combo question

Hi, new to forum and was curious. I have a '63 Ford Fairlane that I was considering running in stock eliminator. Was available with a 260 or 289 Hipo . Both with 4 speed. 260 would put it in T/S and 289 in H/S. Was kinda interested in the 260 combo just because it seems so off the wall. Is this a viable combo? If I run the 289 combo will I need '63 specific block and heads because those are impossible to find. Been a bracket racer for many years and ready to do something different.
Fairlanes4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
michael mercer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Another new combo question

I have a 63 falcon sprint with the 260 that my dad bought new in 63. The problem with the 260 is the hp rating of 164. Nhra has reduced it to 158. It needs to be at 138. IHRA has reduced it to 145. The 63 260 has smaller valves than the 64, but has the same hp rating. With the 289, I am not sure if you have to run the 5 bolt block or not. I think ihra has reduced the 289 hipo rating for pure stock. You might want to contact Alex Denysenko, I think he was the one who got ihra to defactor the 289.
michael mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd thought about the smaller valves in the '63 260 heads. 5 bolt block would probably be a deal killer. Very hard to find even as a standard 289 let alone a Hipo.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

If you already have a 63 Fairlane, go with the 289/271 motor, but if you a haven't gotten that 63 yet, let me suggest a 65 Fairlane, Mustang or Comet. With either, you can run 3 different 289 motors, 1 2 bbl or 2 4 bbl combo. If NHRA requires the correct block, ie 5 or 6 bolt, 65 combos will keep you safe with 6 bolts, but I don't think they care which you use for stock. I think there is a 64 hipo Fairlane running on the West Coast, so that combo is doable as a 63. Unless you're running IHRA, a stick combo only.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlanes4ever View Post
Hi, new to forum and was curious. I have a '63 Ford Fairlane that I was considering running in stock eliminator. Was available with a 260 or 289 Hipo . Both with 4 speed. 260 would put it in T/S and 289 in H/S. Was kinda interested in the 260 combo just because it seems so off the wall. Is this a viable combo? If I run the 289 combo will I need '63 specific block and heads because those are impossible to find. Been a bracket racer for many years and ready to do something different.
I've been told by tech that they aren't as picky about blocks as heads. The heads have to match the year of the car. Aftermarket blocks are OK in Stock as long as they are on the NHRA Approved list. That consists of the Ford Racing BOSS 302 block and nothing else for small block Ford.

I wanted to start in Stock and build up to SS, but finding parts was such a hassle that I went for GT just to be able to use good stuff and stay in the rules.

That stocker I wanted to start with was a 66 Fairlane. Great car, but real hard to find one clean enough to run in Stock without years of work. They are either rust buckets or street rods.

Dale
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Already have the '63 that's why I started the thread. Response is what I pretty much suspected. Probably just continue to bracket race and build it however I want. Crazy how a car like this isn't really a good option but a turd 305 Camaro, a POS Mustang II, or a powerhouse Chrysler K car is. Thanks for your replies.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
Already have the '63 that's why I started the thread. Response is what I pretty much suspected. Probably just continue to bracket race and build it however I want. Crazy how a car like this isn't really a good option but a turd 305 Camaro, a POS Mustang II, or a powerhouse Chrysler K car is. Thanks for your replies.
It looks like 64 was the last year for the 260, so you can't do much with that block in terms of building up in classes. If you switch to the 289 you have a wide range of options in engine builds within the GT section of Super Stock. Any engine ford ever built could be used in that 63 body of yours. You could build the 271 HP 289 shipped in the 67 Mustang and run aftermarket heads. Lots of options out there.

Dale
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Fairlanes4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSail View Post
It looks like 64 was the last year for the 260, so you can't do much with that block in terms of building up in classes. If you switch to the 289 you have a wide range of options in engine builds within the GT section of Super Stock. Any engine ford ever built could be used in that 63 body of yours. You could build the 271 HP 289 shipped in the 67 Mustang and run aftermarket heads. Lots of options out there.

Dale
GT section with 289 is a good suggestion. I've looked into the GT classes before. Car has a 429 now installed with Crites mounts and shock towers cut back, but rules specifically state no cutting of shock towers to allow engine installation. So maybe a 289/271 GT class would be best option. Plus towers cut back would make it a lot easier to service.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
GT section with 289 is a good suggestion. I've looked into the GT classes before. Car has a 429 now installed with Crites mounts and shock towers cut back, but rules specifically state no cutting of shock towers to allow engine installation. So maybe a 289/271 GT class would be best option. Plus towers cut back would make it a lot easier to service.
The cut shock towers will probably be an issue. I don't know if they will let you rebuild them or not. finding replacements on line can be done for Mustangs, but I don't know about a 63 Fairlane. This is why I wound up abandoning running stock with a Fairlane. Everything I found that was in one piece had an engine mod of some sort that disqualified it for NHRA stock or super stock. Strokers and stuff like that.

Dale
Old 04-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 147 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSail View Post
The cut shock towers will probably be an issue. I don't know if they will let you rebuild them or not. finding replacements on line can be done for Mustangs, but I don't know about a 63 Fairlane. This is why I wound up abandoning running stock with a Fairlane. Everything I found that was in one piece had an engine mod of some sort that disqualified it for NHRA stock or super stock. Strokers and stuff like that.

Dale

I can answer that question for ya.....uummm no you cant cut the shock towers back. ..been asking for that for years!!
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote