HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
vetteboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Braided brake lines

I want to run braided brake lines from my master cylinder to a junction in my brake line. The braided lines would be about 12 inches. Is this legal for stock or is this just a bad idea? Thanks Brett
vetteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Braided brake lines

The "rule" I learned many years ago was to use as little braided brake line as possible (and therefore, as much steel line as possible). The theory (as it was explained to me) is that braided line still "expands" internally, when pressure is applied, which tends to make the brakes feel spongier.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
The "rule" I learned many years ago was to use as little braided brake line as possible (and therefore, as much steel line as possible). The theory (as it was explained to me) is that braided line still "expands" internally, when pressure is applied, which tends to make the brakes feel spongier.
Incorrect and misinformation unless you are using some cheap Chinese braided steel brake lines.
If you utilize steel braided brake lines that meet the DOT FMVSS-571.106 requirements, there should not be any problems.

Russel and Goodridge sell steel braided lines that meet and exceed the specification.
For additional safety, go to a hydraulic shop that can crimp the ends.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
nhramnl

Not entirely corrrect. The research I've done says that the only braided line that should be used is the Teflon-lined stuff. The non-lined lines, DO flex. And though I looked extensively, I found no one who recommends making the entire brake system out of braided line, probably due to expense. By the way, are you ever going to expound on my erroneous information on cryogenic treatment?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
nhramnl

Oh, I forgot. DOT FMVSS 571 specifies testing requirements for brake hoses that I would wager no fabricated-to-length braided line could pass. The testing requirments are extensive and assume the complete hose/line assembly can pass,
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Heck, if 12" was all I had to deal with I might consider it myself. Russell has them in many configurations from 9" to 27" in length. http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...niversal.shtml
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
By the way, are you ever going to expound on my erroneous information on cryogenic treatment?
I will when I have time; I just try to give the brief version of things in lieu of the thesis oriented versions.
Been too busy on the road; as a matter of fact, I am responding to you from 38.000 feet of altitude.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
nhramnl

Good. Based on your comments, I decided to do nothing with the crank and valve springs on this freshen-up. If the info I've collected is inaccurate, I'd like clarification. Not so concerned about the cost as the benefit, so doing it right matters.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Good. Based on your comments, I decided to do nothing with the crank and valve springs on this freshen-up. If the info I've collected is inaccurate, I'd like clarification. Not so concerned about the cost as the benefit, so doing it right matters.
You have a PM.