HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Blingmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default mustang efi help

where is NHRA rules concerning efi air intake options for 89 fox body? Also any rules concerning placement of mas sensor. Can you just come straight from TB? Any help would be appreciated. For Stock Eliminator...DD
Blingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: mustang efi help

Can't tell you what is enforced around the nation , but most cold air intake kits have passed tech as long as air inlet comes in at stock location. MAF location unimportant by the rules but I would hesitate getting it too close to the TB. Reversion through a MAF tricks the hot wire into seeing the air twice and computer may deliver more fuel that needed and you will have a tuning nightmare. We usually keep it away as far as we can although stock location has worked fine on my projects.

Last edited by fordteacherguy; 04-30-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added comment
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
GTOMayhem

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
Can't tell you what is enforced around the nation , but most cold air intake kits have passed tech as long as air inlet comes in at stock location. MAF location unimportant by the rules but I would hesitate getting it too close to the TB. Reversion through a MAF tricks the hot wire into seeing the air twice and computer may deliver more fuel that needed and you will have a tuning nightmare. We usually keep it away as far as we can although stock location has worked fine on my projects.
Is this reversion an issue just with EFI Mustangs? Or is it a typical problem with most EFI cars?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
GTOMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
fordteacherguy

Don't know on other vehicles, I'm not a SME on other brands, but MAFs are dependent on clean one way airflow, Large overlap cams can disrupt MAFs signal at low speeds and resonance can disrupt MAF signals at various speeds, hence why there are few MAF systems on race engines, you typically go speed density.

As with everything in engine development, your results may vary. I do use a MAF system on my Super Stocker and was surprised it worked ok, although the camshaft is on the mild side.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
I do use a MAF system on my Super Stocker and was surprised it worked ok, although the camshaft is on the mild side.
Isn't the beauty of MAF over SD is that MAF isn't as sensitive to camshaft changes (vacuum) making them a natural for this? Or you can keep stock SD with a chip. Not saying MAF is perfect- just better at dealing with cams that have more duration than stock- like a 5.0 Mustang with the EEC4 system for example.

Last edited by black88coupe; 05-02-2016 at 08:49 AM.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
fordteacherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
Isn't the beauty of MAF over SD is that MAF isn't as sensitive to camshaft changes (vacuum) making them a natural for this? Or you can keep stock SD with a chip. Not saying MAF is perfect- just better at dealing with cams that have more duration than stock- like a 5.0 Mustang with the EEC4 system for example.
True: MAF systems are more tolerant of airflow changes Cams/heads etc than speed density due to the main fuel calculation is related to the O2 content coming across the sensing element Both systems works if you can get a consistent A/F that meets your needs.. Just that MAF has some quirks that can mess with tuning if you don't know whats going on.