Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default 2015 Rules

Stock allowed aluminum radiators & Head bolt studs
PJ305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: 2015 Rules

And they mentioned something about Factory Stock classes but mostly I was happy about the head studs.

TP
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Rich67stang

Liked 84 Times in 20 Posts

2008 and newer CobraJets/Dragpacks/Copo are in their own classes now, so have at it! Good move by NHRA. SS/CS index should get lowered next year with the acceptance of "aftermarket heads", another good move by NHRA.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich67stang View Post
2008 and newer CobraJets/Dragpacks/Copo are in their own classes now, so have at it! Good move by NHRA. SS/CS index should get lowered next year with the acceptance of "aftermarket heads", another good move by NHRA.
Yep, it is a great move for making the GM products go faster since it will make legal the use of the Chevy LS cast iron and aftermarket 11, 15 and 18 degree cylinder heads!

The Ford N351 cylinder head cannot compete against the GM offerings.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Yep, it is a great move for making the GM products go faster since it will make legal the use of the Chevy LS cast iron and aftermarket 11, 15 and 18 degree cylinder heads!

Exactly. I don't see a reason to celebrate. I think that it's a cheap shot by NHRA.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Rich67stang

Liked 84 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:

After reading your post, maybe I was being a little narrow minded, I just assumed the aftermarket casting would have to be based off of OEM parts. The LS cast iron was not legal before this rule change? As for N351 not competing...Mr. Perno Must have made the Chevy guys nervous...lol.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Regulating 5% of the population with sweeping changes sounds like Washington DC. I mean c'mon, even the whiners were not complaining in SS. Almost all the old cars/new motors are Mopars. There are about 5 68 Cuda/Dart that have found new life from the unregulated SS/AH. Throw in my 70 Duster(which has never won class), Nowicki, and a couple of others and this was an Anti Mopar rule. The numbers don't lie. The sole purpose of the 360 in the DPs in 2009 was to give Mopar racers somewhat access to new parts and lower the cost of SS for the SB Mopar. So much for that. I don't think it was broken, but I am not a smart man.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich67stang View Post
After reading your post, maybe I was being a little narrow minded, I just assumed the aftermarket casting would have to be based off of OEM parts. The LS cast iron was not legal before this rule change? As for N351 not competing...Mr. Perno Must have made the Chevy guys nervous...lol.
The new rule change is for any aftermarket inline cast iron cylinder, not OEM based. I learned about the proposed rule change from a cylinder head porter that was doing a set of LS type GM heads, although they were only available in trucks and not cars. I spoke directly to NHRA last year and they confirmed they had approved the LS cast iron head and were considering allowing any aftermarket cast iron head, which just happened.

This does not have anything to do with Vince Perno; this was proposed last year.

If you have never seen the ProAction Chevy based cylinder head, you will have a rude awakening. With the ProAction 14 degree head, there is not a Ford or Mopar that will be able to win a heads up. The head is available up to a 300cc runner volume and they will flow 400+ CFM's.

The heads hold records in the Nostalgia classes.

Just take a look at the head:

Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts
Wink Re: 2015 Rules

Quote:

You mean your 10 degree N351 heads cant keep up? Who makes these 11,15 and 18 degree heads that are approved? I think Venice has proven that the Ford can go fast and he hasn't had enough time to fully wring out his combo.When you have some blood and sweat in this class than you can understand what it's about.GM castings are weak. We have done 5 sets to try and keep up with the cracking problem. If we back off the work the heads will last but we ain't going to be able to keep up with the Ford and Mopar combos.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
You mean your 10 degree N351 heads cant keep up? Who makes these 11,15 and 18 degree heads that are approved? I think Venice has proven that the Ford can go fast and he hasn't had enough time to fully wring out his combo.When you have some blood and sweat in this class than you can understand what it's about.GM castings are weak. We have done 5 sets to try and keep up with the cracking problem. If we back off the work the heads will last but we ain't going to be able to keep up with the Ford and Mopar combos.
Let me rephrase; I never said the 11, 15 and 18 degree heads are approved.

As I said in an earlier post, the proposed rule reads, "Aftermarket iron heads permitted in CS."

Not having language that says they must be NHRA Accepted cylinder heads opens the rule for interpretation.

Not having such language, is an open invitation for someone to show up with Pro Topline 11, 14 or 18 degree castings or the RHS 14 degree castings. Then the Ford and Mopars will never have a chance.

What will happen if a racer shows up with any cast iron aftermarket head if the rule remains as written?

Will NHRA toss the racer and tell them their heads are illegal because they are not accepted? How would the engine builder or racer know when there is not a published list? Many racers and engine builders have been burned by accepting a phone call statement and were told to go ahead and do it and later get tossed by tech.

In my line of business, having such clarification in writing, is called Objective Evidence; a document that states facts, other information or a record that can be used as evidence for compliance.