HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken Torque Converter

Greg,
Try changing the coil spring that controls the air valve. Over time they loose their tension and the air valve will flutter and not operate smoothly. Once it's open all the way the problem goes away. While your at it, check the dash pot to make sure it's not blown. Take the hose off, push it in and hold your finger over the hole in the nipple the hose goes on and if it opens the thing is junk.

Last edited by George Mirza; 05-27-2015 at 09:21 PM.
George Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
Greg Gay

Liked 218 Times in 48 Posts

First, thank you for everyone who has been trying to help me with this problem. I took the car to Lebanon Valley today. I have an MSD 7AL2 ignition box, with built in two step (2 ports for chips). I use an MSD dial for the low rpm, with a range of approximately 3000 to 4600. I unplugged both ports. I tried to foot-brake it to 3000 rpm, but it pushed through the beams. Still, I floored it, and it once again left like a slug.

On the second run, I hooked the low rpm dial back up. I thought about the secondary air door. Years ago, with the 318, we took the hood off the car, and I had my cousin run the car up on the transbrake/two-step while I watched the carburetor from beside the car. I noticed that the secondary door was opening on the two step. That being the case, I wired the secondary door open, and cautiously started the car. It actually seemed to idle a bit better. It ran a slightly better 60' (still .25 slow), and matched its best run last weekend, but with slower mph (worse air this weekend).

For the third run, I put the 318 carb on (small T-Quad). About the same 60', still running like a slug, but with a slower ET and MPH.

After staring at the car, trying to decide what to try, for half an hour, I put the big T-Quad back on. I disconnected the dial rev limiter, and put a 3400 rpm chip in. When the tree started down, I stopped watching it and focused on the fuel pressure to verify what I have posted. It stayed rock steady; no varying by more than 1/4 of a pound. The car once again left like a slug, although I can't say that it was necessarily breaking up on any of this week's runs. As soon as I had verified the fuel pressure, I let off the throttle, pulled it into 3rd gear, and stabbed it again. It slowly climbed from below 4000 rpm to just above 5000, then seemed to come to life and start running well. It wasn't breaking up. It was almost like lugging a diesel engine. Based on everything that has been said, I'm thinking torque converter again. Comments?
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

SS 318? What is it supposed to stall at? A lot higher than that, I would guess.
If it doesn't go anywhere near it, it could be the sprag slipping.
How many runs? Years?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Greg Gay

Mark,

The engine in the car is a 400 Chrysler. For the last 15 years, I ran the car (80 Dodge Mirada) with a 318 engine. But now, I have the 400 in it. Just to see if the carb was the problem, I put the 318 carb (small T-Quad) on the 400 for one run, but the car acted similar, only slower. I apologize for not making that clear.

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. The torque converter currently in the car is old. Came with the car. I would say it is 20 years old, but has been setting for 15 years. The trans is a brand new Pro Trans. Less than 30 runs.

Last edited by Greg Gay; 05-30-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post
Mark,

The engine in the car is a 400 Chrysler. For the last 15 years, I ran the car (80 Dodge Mirada) with a 318 engine. But now, I have the 400 in it. Just to see if the carb was the problem, I put the 318 carb (small T-Quad) on the 400 for one run, but the car acted similar, only slower. I apologize for not making that clear.

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. The torque converter currently in the car is old. Came with the car. I would say it is 20 years old, but has been setting for 15 years. The trans is a brand new Pro Trans. Less than 30 runs.
Okay.So with a 3.38 stroke, I would say the stall has to be well over 5 grand Yes? No ?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
slingshot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this may sound silly but have you checked the timing or your advance.
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #17
Greg Gay

At this point, no silly questions, only silly owner that can't figure it out. Yes, timing is set at 38 degrees. I also have a timing retard with a 10 degree chip in it, and when I hit the switch, it shows 28 degrees.

On the chassis dyno last fall, this torque converter showed 5000 stall, and the car would like 5700.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #18
slingshot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ad-carburetor/

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t...20-%20AUS.html
if you like to read sometimes it helps kick start my brain
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pm sent
Old 05-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #20
MANSRACING

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Sounds like a broken stator support or converter.A broken stator stator support will act just like you are describing.I broke one in a pro trans and one in a turbo 200.
MANSRACING is offline   Reply With Quote