HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Best Data Logger value?

Looking to purchase a data logger with the best value. Racepak looks to be the king but there are lots of options available with the market now having more than just stand alone units available. I know that the MSD Grid has an internal data logger that is compatible with racepak sensors, holley digital dash has a logger, most fuel injection ecu's have them, but with all the options I'd like to know what the best value option would be for a bracket racer like myself. Right now, we would like to log O2 sensors, DS rpm, vacuum, water temp, and oil pressure. Again, we are looking for the best value. Thanks for the input!
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Best Data Logger value?

you might check out RPM data

www.rpmperf.com/
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Painter

Liked 162 Times in 45 Posts

I just went thru this same thing. After much research i went with Computech. Have not been able to run the car yet, but i am very happy with everything so far.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Sean Marconette

Liked 167 Times in 61 Posts

I also have the Computech DataMaxx. Here is the best advice I can give you. Most if not all of these systems have free downloads to play with the software. What makes sense and is user friendly is the product to buy. The Computech software makes sense to me and works very well. When I look at a Racepac log it's not what I am familiar with and does not make as much sense. All I use mine for now is for clutch tuning, everything else is logged from my EFI system.

Good luck, and there is a lot of information to be gained from anylizing a data log.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I'm going to look into the MS3 fuel injection ECU. I think it may give me every channel I could ever need and the ability to move to fuel injection down the road. I understand that there is a learning curve to their system since there is quite a bit of DIY wiring but I enjoy that part of it. I know that the network of people that use them is small but if I can get a handle on things, I feel it will definitely be the best value. We will see, there is local racer that is going to show me his setup and that will help as well. Thanks everyone for your input!
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Altronics
Sponsor

Liked 58 Times in 9 Posts

Check out our Dataquest system.

Color touch screen, integrated switch panel, 45 channels Networked Data.

It also includes RaceWorks Electronic Logbook.
Click here to download free trial ->
Old 05-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,225 Times in 250 Posts

We have used a few different types of loggers over the years. A lot of them work pretty well.
I will say that the one we use now is a Racepak sportsman. It is by far the easiest to wire, add sensors and use at the track. Plus, at many of the National events they have techs that can help you out.

You can start with the basic system and add sensors as you like. It is also easy to upgrade to more channels.

It might be a few bucks more, but we feel that it is worth it.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 684 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta View Post
I'm going to look into the MS3 fuel injection ECU. I think it may give me every channel I could ever need and the ability to move to fuel injection down the road. I understand that there is a learning curve to their system since there is quite a bit of DIY wiring but I enjoy that part of it. I know that the network of people that use them is small but if I can get a handle on things, I feel it will definitely be the best value. We will see, there is local racer that is going to show me his setup and that will help as well. Thanks everyone for your input!
My son has a MS3 on his car, he started out just using it for coil near plug ignition and data logging. He then moved to full fuel injection.

He has completed Hot Rod's Drag Week five years in a row, the last two with the MS3. Zero problems with it. This compares with some MSD problem most of the other years. I think most folks have found the MS3 to be very durable.

I am thinking about getting one just for data logging.

Good luck!
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote