HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Roy Johnson

Starting in page 86 of the new ND there is a very nice spread on one of my hero's new DP stocker. I have always been so impressed with the power he makes with his Pro Stock engines, and how pleasant and friendly he is toward nobodies like myself. I can't believe I never put together him and those beautiful Chromagraphic Mopars I used to watch. Roy went to the semi finals first race. Very cool.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Roy Johnson

Met Roy back in the 70's when we both were campaigning Mopar SS cars. His was the Challenger and mine was the Demon. The Johnson's pulled in next to us at Atlanta and we began to talk. I can remember like it was yesterday, He ended our conversation with "Well, if I can help you or you need anything, just ask" then he started to walk away and turned back around and said "I mean it, anything". Sort of sums up Roy right there. First class. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Roy Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Starting in page 86 of the new ND there is a very nice spread on one of my hero's new DP stocker. I have always been so impressed with the power he makes with his Pro Stock engines, and how pleasant and friendly he is toward nobodies like myself. I can't believe I never put together him and those beautiful Chromagraphic Mopars I used to watch. Roy went to the semi finals first race. Very cool.
I havent had a chance to see it yet, but one of my FAVORTIE pics of our racing experience is myself, mandie and Roy, I have some with him and my father now I have to get uploaded. I realized I dont have a pic of my dad and I with him one of us is always behind the camera.

But I like Roy a LOT, Vegas and Norwalk we were fortunate to have time to talk to him. Hes just one of those people it seems to me, a RACER, not a celeb in his own mind like some of the other Nitro or PS guys think, it seems to me they think they are celeb first, racer second, Roy, to me, seems to have never bought into the nonsense and reminds me of when I was a kid and Garlits, Purdohmme , Muldowney, Lieberman, all would talk to just about anyone about racing and the sport.....Roy is the BEST kind of throwback in racing and I wish him all the best.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Roy Johnson

I have known Roy for many , many years... He is the same now as he was back then..... With the traveling I do in my work I ALWAYS seem to have a service call or something around Greeneville when I'm in Tennessee... He always greets me with that smile and his hand outstretched to give me a firm handshake... A first class gentleman for sure!!!!!! I really do enjoy our friendship and have all the respect in the worol for him.....