HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
RedrumSnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Car Build

I recently picked up a 2000 Mustang on the cheap, and am starting a drag car build on it.
I have a general idea what I want to do with it, but am having trouble figuring out how to determine what class it will fit in with my build ideas in mind.
And I would like to know how to figure that part out so that I ensure I do the build in compliance with all rules, etc.

I'm debating on dropping either a 351W based 427 Stroker motor in it, that will make appx. 600 hp (naturally aspirated), and possibly throw a 200 shot nitrous setup on it, or a 440 (small block Ford) that makes 850 hp.
Automatic transmission that will properly handle those numbers.
And run 10.5 slicks.

I know there's a lot more to it, with suspension, gearing, etc.

My hope is to run low 10s to mid 9s.

Any help with understanding how to determine class, and any other tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
RedrumSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #2
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: New Car Build

ET Bracket, or Super Gas/Street (without nitrous) based on what you're describing. Not going to fit in Stock or Super/Stock with those engines except a Modified class...but probably will have to weigh a ton (lbs. per cubic inch classes). No nitrous in Stock/SS either.

You may want to look at NMCA/NMRA. That would be a better fit for what it sounds like you want to do.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:56 PM   #3
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts

Rule book is a must BEFORE you start building anything.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
RedrumSnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have downloaded the 2022 NHRA rulebook. Need to print it off sometime soon.

My local track is currently an NHRA track, but is contemplating changing that.
I know I won't be able to run NO2 in any NHRA classes, which is part of why I'm not fully committed to it yet.

I do like the NMCA. I think I could easily fit into the open comp class with the build I have in mind. I'm just not sure what my local track is gonna do yet, or if there's any other NMCA tracks near me.

I appreciate the input so far. More is definitely welcome.
Hopefully I can get this build done and go racing in the relatively near future.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #5
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,623 Times in 1,291 Posts

NMCA has six races scheduled for next year. The closest race to you is Madison, Illinois, 370 miles away. I believe following the NHRA safety rules for a mid 9 second ride would be top priority.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

Build it to run mid 5.80s to low 5.90s and you can come bracket race with us, 6.0 index race at the throwdowns and PIRO at Noble. There are brackets and index races at Mid-America. Look at Ozark to see what they run over there.

There are some small tire races occasionally at Ozark I believe but you might have to spray the guts out of it. NMCA is a loong way from our area.
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
RedrumSnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@ Curtis Reed Would I be able to run it on nitrous for those events? The place I'm looking to get my motor from offers an option that would allow me to run spray and make the power necessary to hit those numbers.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

Yep, you can run Nitrous in brackets and index races.

There used to be a guy who sprayed his El Camino running 6.0 at 120-121mph. Gave him an advantage being behind. I'm only 116 or so running 6.0s. I have to shift way early and run a restrictor plate to slow that much though.

Now running Nitrous bracket racing is really just throwing money down a big hole because it doesn't matter what ET you run. It's nice to have it when you need it on the big end though.
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-12-2024, 09:31 AM   #9
NoeKorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For more precise guidance, I'd recommend checking with drag racing associations or forums specific to your area. As for tips, ensuring your automatic transmission and suspension can handle the power is crucial. Proper gearing and tire selection, like the 10.5 slicks you mentioned, will also play a significant role in achieving your desired performance. And if you ever need assistance with transporting your drag car or any other vehicle, A-1 Auto Transport offers reliable services to make the process smooth and hassle-free. Best of luck with your build, RedrumSnake! Can't wait to see that Mustang tearing up the track.

Last edited by NoeKorn; 02-13-2024 at 04:45 PM.
NoeKorn is offline   Reply With Quote