HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
tafc10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Shifter not shifting

Hey Guys, got a B&M Pro Bandit Air Shifter in a Dragster with a Glide, just cant get the air ram to push the lever into high gear, is there a way to make the ram throw longer?

Using 60lbs now, maybe need more air pressure? Our other Dragster uses 60lbs and never not works..... beats the hell outta me

Thanks heaps

Geoff in Sydney Australia
tafc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts
Default Re: Shifter not shifting

60 lbs sounds low, I run 90lbs and I know people that run120lbs. I use a trubo action shift on a 3 speed trans. Also you should be able to test the air shifter without running the car. I hope this helps
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

60 lbs is not enough to make the cylinder work correctly in my opinion.
My instructions that came with my unit recommended 90 lbs.
I also put 3 to 5 drops of air tool oil in the line from the solenoid to the shifter cylinder once a year to lube the cylinder seals. Your cylinder just may need a better seal to hit the shifter harder.
Another issue I had with mine when I first installed it was the cylinder throw was too short. The rubber snubber that hits the shifter to move it was adjusted just a bit to short. I lengthened it just over a quarter of an inch with the adjustment on the snubber and that cured that issue.
Hope this helps.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
tafc10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys, on our Small Block Dragster anything over about 65 pounds really hits the car hard.

Maybe with the Big Block Dragster we might need more air, although it does seem like there just isn't enough throw.

Thanks for the reply guys, we will be at the shop Friday night and we will try some stuff, racing Saturday so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Check the attachment of the shifter cable to the transmission gear selector arm--- also shift it and see if the arm moves enough to actually put the transmission in gear... that cable should slide off and on the arm with absolutely no movement of the arm if it is properly adjusted--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I use 120 lbs on my air shifter. I have the hurst quarter stick. I would check the cable to make sure there is no bind. Other than that just move the air cylinder closer to the shifter arm to get more throw. My air piston hits metal to metal on the shifter. My shifter uses a MSD rpm activated switch to control the shifter. It is deadly accurate on the shift RPM
Old 03-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

we use minimum of 90 +++ pounds on ours---- yes you can move the air cylinder closer to the shifter arm sometimes on the end of the piston rod there is minimal adjustment that might help in the adjustment too plus check for any bind too---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
tafc10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Guys

Just got back from the Race Car shop, 90lbs in the Air Bottle, shifted beautifully.

Thanks heaps for everyone's help, off to do battle in the morning with 30 odd cars in our Bracket, the daughter can't wait

Thanks once more...

Geoff in Sydney Australia.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
tafc10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rock N Roll Guys

We put 90 lbs in the bottle, first run 8.49 @ 148 with a pedal, track a little greasy after some drizzle, then 8.83 at 130 after a big move and she shut off, only two qualifiers with the weather issues.

First round loss with an 8.43 @ 140 breaking out on an 8.50 DI, also an early shut off again with the car getting loose on the top end.

My daughter drove with her head all day, getting off when the car got loose.

The shifter with 90 pounds Worked Perfect.

Thanks again guys for your help.