HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2023, 10:54 AM   #11
john ancona

Liked 102 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Flat tappet lifter failure

The point is many on here have the same canned suggestions , many miss the facts of which there are many, I ,and others have went through all of them many times in the past.

If I just take two rule changes of which were many over the years that have led up to now which are the roller rockers ,and the valve springs ,I am hard pressed to remember nattering nabobs of negativism when those two rule changes were made as to what a few say will eliminate stock as if they even know ,rather that focus on the cost of stock eliminator cars of today' along with the fact of the age of the cars 50 plus years in some cases ,along with the ages of many of the racers that drive them a few on here seem to only be interested in casting there unwanted opinions .

Everyone should have a say as to what they want to run , while we still can if we stay on the course of the way it is in stock very soon there will be no more stock because of the cost, and lack of the parts we need, not the lifters ,here are two strong indicators as to why Electric cars ,but even worse eBay facing fines of $1.9 Billion for allowing the sale of parts that violate the clean air act .
If you think well it won't effect me you're wrong .Already vendors are scared to ship parts , even oil to certain states.

Last edited by john ancona; 10-05-2023 at 11:48 AM.
john ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #12

Liked 926 Times in 240 Posts

As I was in teardown at the Keystones, a D1 racer had Lonnie's ear about a multitude of topics, among them were roller lifters. I am not to tell you what that racers stance was on them, but I will tell you Lonnies take on it. Lonnie said he is not gonna open that door and allow them. He said as soon as he did that, many racers would be buying new roller profile cams, and would open a whole cost to the sport. I think those who are waiting for the rule to change should come up with another plan, whatever that may be.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #13
john ancona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
As I was in teardown at the Keystones, a D1 racer had Lonnie's ear about a multitude of topics, among them were roller lifters. I am not to tell you what that racers stance was on them, but I will tell you Lonnies take on it. Lonnie said he is not gonna open that door and allow them. He said as soon as he did that, many racers would be buying new roller profile cams, and would open a whole cost to the sport. I think those who are waiting for the rule to change should come up with another plan, whatever that may be.
That makes absolutely no sense , if the facts are as you are saying, he is flat wrong about the cost, he should check his facts before making a statement like, it would open up a whole new cost to the sport ,in many cases the older cars are already buying the same billet cam ground for a flat tappet cam ,and having to use tool steel lifters that cost way more than roller lifters in many cases.
Old 10-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #14

Liked 926 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ancona View Post
That makes absolutely no sense , if the facts are as you are saying, he is flat wrong about the cost, he should check his facts before making a statement like, it would open up a whole new cost to the sport ,in many cases the older cars are already buying the same billet cam ground for a flat tappet cam ,and having to use tool steel lifters that cost way more than roller lifters in many cases.
He had alot more to say about it, but I was too busy while my heads were being poured to hear every word about it. But it sounded like he was very adamant about not allowing this rule to change.
Maybe you and Terry can call him and explain that he's all wrong about his thoughts. I'm guessing he has talked to racers/engine builders about this, because he was pretty quick to talk about it and knows its a topic that is on people's minds. Or maybe he reads classracer

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:30 PM   #15
john ancona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
He had alot more to say about it, but I was too busy while my heads were being poured to hear every word about it. But it sounded like he was very adamant about not allowing this rule to change.
Maybe you and Terry can call him and explain that he's all wrong about his thoughts. I'm guessing he has talked to racers/engine builders about this, because he was pretty quick to talk about it and knows its a topic that is on people's minds. Or maybe he reads classracer
Maybe not ,I have no interest in representing the Guy's with the ruined engines, and incurring the cost of bad decisions over the years when it comes to the rules in stock.

If as a group of racers with the non roller cams that feel they want a change they can explain why there is the need to go to roller lifters to NHRA ,
as they have done in the past with the roller rockers ,and many other parts
Old 10-05-2023, 01:37 PM   #16
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

While Reher-Morrison builds some very impressive pieces that I could never afford, I'm not sure they're the place to go looking for advice on your stock eliminator engine. The statement “A low-tension valve spring and a heavy steel valve is the worst possible combination for high-rpm reliability" is very easy to say when you're running "Bracket 2" and can run titanium valves, retainers, and don't care about valve spring pressure. I'm sure David Reher would say running a Qjet and a stock intake manifold is also a terrible combination for high rpm reliability. I think the only logical solution here is for everyone in favor of the rule to just start running roller lifters in their cars, and when (more likely if) a tech inspector sees a car with a roller cam that isn't supposed to, just threaten a lawsuit against the NHRA. At that point it must be their fault that they aren't going to allow you to run parts in your engine that you spent good, hard earned money on, and they will change the rule accordingly. OR, you just fix whatever problem you have with your engine, and run flat tappet lifters like the rest of us.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #17
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Here we go again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.png
Views:	123
Size:	844.2 KB
ID:	68830  
Old 10-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #18
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
If as a group of racers with the non roller cams that feel they want a change they can explain why there is the need to go to roller lifters to NHRA ,as they have done in the past with the roller rockers ,and many other parts
If as a group, Racers who are sick and tired of all of the "upgrades and enhancements" that have made it more "convenient" for them to run an Eliminator called STOCK supposedly because the cars that run in it are supposed to be feel they want a change they can explain why there is the need to go back to 1990 rules to NHRA .

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-05-2023, 09:26 PM   #19
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Bubski is thinking the title of this post should be changed from "flat tappet lifter failure " To " Failure to Communicate " or better yet "Failure to communicate anything other than nonsense " Cheers Chums !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:23 PM   #20
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
The point is many on here have the same canned suggestions , many miss the facts of which there are many, I ,and others have went through all of them many times in the past.

If I just take two rule changes of which were many over the years that have led up to now which are the roller rockers ,and the valve springs ,I am hard pressed to remember nattering nabobs of negativism when those two rule changes were made as to what a few say will eliminate stock as if they even know ,rather that focus on the cost of stock eliminator cars of today' along with the fact of the age of the cars 50 plus years in some cases ,along with the ages of many of the racers that drive them a few on here seem to only be interested in casting there unwanted opinions .

Everyone should have a say as to what they want to run , while we still can if we stay on the course of the way it is in stock very soon there will be no more stock because of the cost, and lack of the parts we need, not the lifters ,here are two strong indicators as to why Electric cars ,but even worse eBay facing fines of $1.9 Billion for allowing the sale of parts that violate the clean air act .
If you think well it won't effect me you're wrong .Already vendors are scared to ship parts , even oil to certain states.
You need to get out of Covina and move into my neighborhood, we can use some one like you. Oak Crest Georgetown Tx, ck it out.........
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote