HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Default BBC fuel pump rod stuck??

427 in 68 corvette. The pushrod for the fuel pump is very hard to move. Does anyone have a trick to remove this without pulling engine? Can it be accessed from the lifter galley?
Thanks
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: BBC fuel pump rod stuck??

Can't reach from lifter valley. I have took out some bent ones and stuck ones,sometimes you can get hold of rod with needle nose visegrips and take a pry bar and move it,or if that does'nt work can cut a notch in rod to pry against. have welded pieces to rod to pry against then cut back off when moved as far as can to get through hole,if you block drain hole back in there can cut,grind,weld without getting junk into engine,drain hole is only opening so if it is blocked can clean that area back out without getting into rest of engine.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

another ideal I thought of that I haven't done is, get a tie bolt,spring center bolt(goes through leaf springs) they are fine thread and fairly hard,get a high hex nut like u bolt uses and install it and washers on tie bolt and weld to end of fuel pump rod and tighten nut and washers against block and may pull rod out,put a little grease on threads so weld splatter doesn't stick to your threads.
In case you don't know BBC and SBC use same fuel pump rod.
You can also use tie bolts as cheap harmonic balancer installer
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

From what I remember there are some of the older blocks that one of the front bolts in the front of the block drilled into the fuel pump push rod galley. If someone installed to long of a bolt in that hole it may be binding the push rod causing your issue.
I remember using a longer bolt to hold the rod in place while changing the fuel pump.
I am old but I remember using that longer bolt when changing the fuel pump however, I can not remember what models that was used on. Might be worth a look before going to far.
Just a thought.
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
henrys57wagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

69, I have also seen a few times where someone has used a longer bolt in the top hole not knowing it will cause the rod to bind. One SB we worked on had the top of the rod mushroom against the cam and would not come out.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

I haven't touched a BBC in a long time but i believe they are just like a SBC with the bolt in the frt. of the block. Just in front of where the rod rides in the block there should be a threaded bolt hole and it should have a bolt in it with sealer on the threads. the bolt should be short so it doesn't contact the rod. It's used to hold the bolt in the up position while changing a fuel pump. Ck the bolt and be sure it's not making contact.
On street motors I have had problems removing the rod due to built up gum and varnish, just like an old lifter. You can spray your choice of cleaner or penetrating oil and work the rod up and down to free it. Spraying in the bolt hole helps also. The rod rides against the frt. lobe on the cam and it would be hard to access with the cam in the block and the rod must be removed to remove the cam.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

No bolt in the front of the block. Just a blind hole. This thing is up against the a-arm in the front so no way to get needle nose in there. I think I will try the suggestion o welding to the end of the rod with one of those sheetmetal spot welders. If that doesn't work out comes the motor.
Thanks
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts

would removing the control arm help with giving more room?