HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 05-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts
Default This day 52 years ago…

“Four dead in Ohio…” a singular watershed day in an era that changed the function of government in serving the people forever. An era that numbed us to the sanctity of human life and the government’s role in protecting it.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: This day 52 years ago…

The protesters of the last couple of years, should be grateful that the Cops/ National Guard allow their BS, for the most part. They wouldn`t have stood for it back then. It was/ is a tragedy when young people lose their lives, before It even starts.
MJ

Last edited by Mike Jones; 05-04-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Things were sure different then. I remember the Kent State event. I got back home in 1968. Kent State happened in 1970. I'll give you a different perspective.
Over 2 million young men were drafted during Viet Nam. I was one of them. Over 58,000 of my brothers did not make it out alive. Another 150,000 were wounded and 1,600 still missing.
When I heard that the National Guard opened fire on protesters, I think I probably laughed. Back then the National Guard and Reserves were made up of "privileged" young men to get out of duty in VN. The protesters (IMO) were draft dodging, card burning, druggie, hippies. They were also avoiding the war. The media referred to Kent State as a "massacre". FOUR people were killed....FOUR. That is not a massacre. That would have been a quiet evening outing in the Central Highlands.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Gary, I wanted to acknowledge your post and certainly your sacrifice. I was an AF medic who served with the 432nd Support Squadron in northern Thailand where we supported a very large Air America contingent. A few sapper attacks and hairy trips into some villages were the limit of my exposure but I treated a large number of Casualties including many of our own. When I rotated home in 1972 I first flew into SFO in uniform so you can well imagine the “reception” I got at the airport. In any case, in spite of the unpatriotic and cowardly vile of many of the protesters I have come to realize there was a kernel of truth in their protests even if they didn’t fully realize it. I can more easily forgive them than I can the political hacks who knew early on the folly of Vietnam and yet continued to send so many of us to certain ill fated futures. It’s astounding the percentage of those 58,000+ who were younger than 21 years old.

My thought in posting about Kent State was that the whole era seemed to numb us to mayhem and how sacred life is. I’m no Neil Young fan but “four dead in Ohio”, “Tin soldiers and Nixon coming”, and “we’re finally on our own”are on continual loops in my head sometime. The “pending” Roe v Wade decision swirls into those lines, like one part of government can ban abortion and meanwhile some states permit full term abortions. So often it seems we’ve lost our way and government seems determined to keep us that way.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: This day 52 years ago…

Four dead is a quiet night in South Central. What does the political class say? "Harrumph!Harrumph! We've got to keep out phony baloney jobs!!".
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote