HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fuel line rules question

I'm trying to figure out the best, easiest, safest, and most convenient way to run the fuel line in my Nova. I have it pretty well figured out from the tank to the front subframe, but that's where I can't quite decide what to do. The way I see it is I have three options: run it inboard of the frame rail, inside the frame rail, or outboard of the frame rail. Running it inside the frame rail looks like a pain, so I'm eliminating that option right off the bat. That leaves me having to decide between inboard and outboard. With the small block, I had it inboard, with insulation so that the headers wouldn't cook my fuel. But now that I have a big block and accordingly bigger headers, there's much less room where I had the fuel line before. That leaves me thinking about running the fuel line outboard of the frame rail.

Quote:
All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves etc., must be outside of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body.
If I go outboard, it would definitely NOT be within the confines of the frame, but I think it could still be considered to be within the confines of the steel body. BUT that's just my opinion, which I doubt carries any weight with tech inspectors. Is aluminum hard line mounted on the outside of the frame rail legal?

Quote:
Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch (40.6 cm) length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) minimum wall thickness
If I go outboard, it seems to me the fuel line wouldn't be in the flywheel/bellhousing area, and therefore would not be required to have the 1/8" wall steel tubing shield around it. Instead, it would have two thicknesses of frame steel protecting it from a flywheel/flexplate explosion. Does that sound reasonable and legal?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Fuel line rules question

Novaman,
I always try to run braided line inside frame only spot that is any trouble is at spring, can drop spring run line and fasten out of way. I also install bulkhead style fitting where original line exits front of crossmember
is a little more work but makes for clean installation. When had auto. also ran cooler lines inside frame
to front of frame.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have ran the fuel line on both my novas along the outside of the frame (right alongside of the brake line) and I haven't had any troubles with that on installation or with NHRA tech. You just want to make sure it is strapped in place good just like the brake line is. What classes do you run in? just curious. I am starting a nova stocker project which is new to me so I will some questions at times.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm totally classless... or maybe I'm just in a class of my own? I'm nothing more than a lowly bracket racer, but I've found this forum very helpful, and I think I've even managed to contribute something useful once or twice.