Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #91
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Thumbs up Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkster View Post
Oh, they used to be. Ask Travis Miller what used to be in that "guide".

Ask Ted Harbit what used to be in that "guide".

Go look at the current engine spec "guide" and you'll find Olds going back to 1949.

Today it's a 59 year old difference. When it's 75 years, that will REALLY be cool.
Now that would be really cool.. Next time you see Travis or Ted
ask if they will put 'em back in !!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #92
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treekiller View Post
there is a way that everybody could keep their current junk and all race each other. The traditional guys don't want to change the way things have been for years but look what NHRA is doing to y'all. Have the ***** swinging contest in class elims then take out heads ups in eliminations. Everybody has a dial in and a chance no matter who they race. Nobody has to sell anything and car counts probably go through the roof. the new car guys won't be able to stand it and the old car guys are too stubborn to get with the times andunderstand that implementing a rule like that will be the only chance they will ever have against the new cars.
Want to kill Class racing, implement that bracket only system. No one is asking for massive change like that, only that the existing rules apply equally to every car in the class. Without heads up runs in eliminations what actual incentive is there to go home and work on your "junk". Heads up runs in eliminations are the coolest part of Class racing and what real drag racing is all about.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #93
treekiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when you have a guy with one of the fastest older cars in the country just pack up and leave before the first round of eliminations at indythat tells you something is wrong. That man probably spend at least two or three thousand dollars to go to that race and I am sure took time off of work to go do that. can anyone answer when was the last time someone with an older setup out ran a car that was 08 or newer? Equality in hp factoring will never be a reality otherwise these people would never have spent 100-125k on these cars.
treekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #94
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If the existing rules were applied equally to every car and not exempt certain groups there would be no issue like this. That's the whole point you're missing. Had all the FS combos been required to face the same ahfs as everyone else then factors would most certainly be more correct than they are. At one time the LT-1 and LS-1 combos had an edge due to factors but that eventually worked itself out. This exempting certain classes and thus those combos is what is the issue. And suggesting a fundamental change like you did is never an answer.

Last edited by Doug Blackley; 09-01-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Doug Blackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #95
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

My simple solution is to implement AHFS for factory stock.

Now that NHRA knows what they can run -

Make the FS/A index a 9.70 and make the FS/B index a 10.0

Keep it simple add 3 tenths to the FS cars and implement AHFS starting at the next race where factory stock will be run.

Also - need to run FS at more (all) races too.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #96
Michael K

Liked 62 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
No, NHRA needs to put factory experimental cars that were never built to drive on the street in their own class. Factory Experimental.

Stock was NEVER about cars that were never built to be legal to drive on the streets. That's why the Super Stock Hemi cars, and several other factory race cars, were not legal for Stock Eliminator. Even the most radical L-88 and ZL-1 cars had all street legal equipment, a VIN, and could be registered and insured with a regular title as they rolled off the show room floor. None of the new factory race cars can claim that, not one of them.

You want Stock Eliminator to fit your car, and the rest of the racers to find a new class.

Agree with this completely.

The NHRA is not being consistant with what they have done in the past regarding the new factory race cars.
Michael K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #97
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post

Keep it simple add 3 tenths to the FS cars and implement AHFS starting at the next race where factory stock will be run.

I like this idea. You can't have traditional AHFS for the factory cars because they aren't classified on the typical HP/weight ratio. What you could do is implement AHFS in the same way they do for the SS modified cars - index reduction. In this case, a -1.50 run is worth about a .30 index reduction, if I remember correctly.
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #98
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

I proposed an idea the other day on my Facebook page:

Let ALL new (2008-newer) cars run FSS. That way, the cars in B/SA on down can run; right now it seems to be mostly AAA-AA-BB-CC cars. Run them handicapped, off the Class Index like Comp and the Combo Class runoffs, and AHFS can then apply since they are in their natural class, eight, etc; not an artificial Class/Index/weight. We had sixty-seven new cars at Indy; only thirty I think ran FSS. Under my proposed rule, ALL new cars would be in and make for a bigger show for NHRA and the OEM's.

Just a thought.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #99
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts

According to the 2014 NHRA RULE BOOK - All cars in Stock classes must be factory-production assembled , showroom available, and in the hands of the general public. A minimum of 500 units of a particular style must be produced.

How many of the factory cars (copo's drag-packs, cobra jets) are built each year??? How many of them are available to the general public through the dealer showrooms??

I think many of the questions can be answered by examining these criteria.

Evidently NHRA doesn't follow their own rulebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new cars (built after 2008), they just need to be put where they belong and factored properly.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #100
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post

You're still missing the point, to the majority of us that race stock, "stock" means something that the dealer sells to the guy walking into the dealership and driving away in. These FS cars don't quite fit that description.
Having the late model cars participating has to be good for the sport, the way it was done leaves a lot to be desired.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote