HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Chris Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: It's kind of sad to see

The Max Wedge program became obsolete when it was superseded by the Hemi in mid '64!

When I went to the NW Nats my program wasn't just non competitive, it was a freaking fiasco but many many people sought out my pit to look at the big orange monster. Fans like the oddball stuff. Some of them even like the historical stuff, not just ugly old Mopars. The nostalgia displays at every event bear this out. My point is that diversity is one of the things that makes Stock interesting.

I've spent thousands of dollars and hours on my Max Wedge program and I've had my forehead stepped on by a lot of different combinations but I'll keep coming back. I'm even building a new Max Wedge car!

I hope they do something with the DPs and CJs so they can really let their performance loose. The BS is deep enough. I don't mind bracket racing against them but I don't deserve a heads up against that!

Chris Barnes
Wagons of Steel
Stock 6621
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Chris Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My understanding is that they took some hp off the '63s. I don't know if they would do that for the '64s. There are a couple of them in the nines. I think the new cars need classes of their own. Enough with the horsepower games and corporate marching orders already!

Chris Barnes
Wagons of Steel
Stock 6621
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barnes View Post
My understanding is that they took some hp off the '63s. I don't know if they would do that for the '64s. There are a couple of them in the nines. I think the new cars need classes of their own. Enough with the horsepower games and corporate marching orders already!

Chris Barnes
Wagons of Steel
Stock 6621
I had heard that the 63 low comp would go down 10 hp to 405, where it was back in the 80s but a recent check on NHRA still showed it at 415. Some people think that NHRA may not want S and SS to go on much longer, that may or may not be true. If they want to keep it alive and healthy I think the new cars should have their own class. Some people want to race a new car and can afford it, some want but cant afford it and if they cant use what they already own they will drop out. Then there are people like me who wouldn't race a new car even if they had a few million in the bank and if they cant find a way to keep the old car competitive they will drop out also. The main reason I race is because of my love for the 63 Ply I've owned and raced since 71 and to see how well I can make it run building every inch of the drivetrain myself on a small budget. I love my Challenger but it's going to be very strange not having pushbuttons and although it is still a budget car I'll have almost half as much as I paid for my house into it before I'm done.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: It's kind of sad to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Precht View Post
I had heard that the 63 low comp would go down 10 hp to 405, where it was back in the 80s but a recent check on NHRA still showed it at 415. Some people think that NHRA may not want S and SS to go on much longer, that may or may not be true. If they want to keep it alive and healthy I think the new cars should have their own class. Some people want to race a new car and can afford it, some want but cant afford it and if they cant use what they already own they will drop out. Then there are people like me who wouldn't race a new car even if they had a few million in the bank and if they cant find a way to keep the old car competitive they will drop out also. The main reason I race is because of my love for the 63 Ply I've owned and raced since 71 and to see how well I can make it run building every inch of the drivetrain myself on a small budget. I love my Challenger but it's going to be very strange not having pushbuttons and although it is still a budget car I'll have almost half as much as I paid for my house into it before I'm done.
IHRA has the Low Comp. 1963 Max Wedge engine rated at 405 for stock. If NHRA drops stock and S/S there are going to be some mighty expensive 9.90 and 10.90 cars out there other than the ones that already run the .90 classes.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 09-01-2011 at 08:31 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote