HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #211
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Now that the older cars ran their heart out and received a gift for the effort it now makes the old cars further away (under index) from qualifying. Some were .5-7 behind new cars and now .8 to 1.00 behind. Not a good feeling Im sure. Any new vehicle falls into x category until a time period (3-5 years) and then can run each other and then be classified into proper class at that time especially when the wrong HP is always going to be given from the start. Something like when the FI cars were sent into their own class and then brought back.This would go for ANY new vehicle introduced into the classification guide. That way things can get into line better without so much ill will from the older type cars. New cars are great and I like them, but play fair.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 09-04-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #212
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
OK, so we got Indy fixed. Shoot NHRA, Shoot all the FS people, Shoot the Hot Dog Stands, they were terrible, Burn the AHFS, Present these 486 ideas to NHRA, but wait, we shot them. Let Bruce have his way and make NHRA dissappear and we won't have a sanction. We can just race each with shoe polish. Maybe we need to vote on it, but wait, who can vote? Drivers, probably; Owners, probably; Keyboard racers; why not. Maybe we need the Chuck Rayburn rule; if you don't have a car or haven't raced in 2 years, you got no vote. I know; let's go back to 1958 (my first race). Street tires 4" wide on a good day, mufflers, take the hub caps off, take the spare out and jack, who needs scales, any fuel that will fire, sleep under the race car you drove to the track, always run in pairs so a chain will get both cars home. Or maybe everyone should have a 69 Camaro which you can buy completely new in parts, and I bet you can't build it for the price of a new car. I think someone on here said there were 71 new cars at Indy, I wonder how many new 69 Camaro's were there. Now, how about a new thread on what to do with the 23 or so other races. Sure the FS needs some attention, but never throw out the baby with the bathwater which seems to be the theme here. I have some ideas (I always got some ideas), but I ain't going on this thread. Too many Great Whites here for this seal to swim in.
Sounds like we got you all fired up here today, Big Guy.
You got me a little confused though...I hadn't raced in four years, but I DID race once this year, but I don't own a Stocker right now. Well yes I do, but it's not complete yet, so you see where my confuson lies.

It doesn't much matter to me personally anyway. I have no agenda. I'm just offering suggestions for the good of the sport. As far as I'm concerned, NHRA ruined Stock Eliminator in about 1988 anyway.
If I decide to go to Indy next time, I won't be too worried about getting in the eliminator.

I don't want you to be upset any more today, so I can take my 1/2 vote and leave y'all alone now..It's beer :30 now anyway, isn't it?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #213
boxmotorsports

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

Check out the new horsepower ratings after Indy. Those additional ratings should shuffle some of those new cars around.
boxmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #214
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts
Talking Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Smith View Post
I've got a idea and it is pretty simple.At Indy everyone who is entered runs in the eliminator.Now all you have to worry about is getting enough grading points to get entered before it is full.
I can't believe somebody hasn't responded to you yet with the proverbial phrase........."Hey DUDE,you need to work on your car!"

Last edited by 442OLDS; 09-04-2014 at 09:15 PM.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #215
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 135 Times in 40 Posts
Thumbs up Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
I've got a idea and it is pretty simple.At Indy everyone who is entered runs in the eliminator.Now all you have to worry about is getting enough grading points to get entered before it is full.
Sounds like one heck of a good idea Lyn, whats one more round?
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #216
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Mark, it went the way it is when NHRA did away with winning class and the class winners ran for the eliminator. But without the change to a bracket race format, Stock would have about 20 cars at Indy as opposed to 28 in B/SA (somewhere around there) and nearly 200 total. And as you say your time ended in 87 and I'm sure most folks that remember have the year it ended for them. One thing about Stock and Super Stock is they are dynamic eliminators and will continue to change. The insurance industry tried to kill them in the late 60's and the early 70's, and then emissions took over in the 70's thru the 80's and the EFI and Engine Management revived the high performance models as they are today and run fast on that stuff called gasoline. So what we are seeing in the racing side is a natural based on the factories search for sales on the reviving High Performance. But then some people prefer the old Omni to the Challenger SRT. I think it is great that NHRA is embracing the new cars as opposed to NASCAR with the clone with stickers with all the same motors and ticket sales down 38%. Sure some adjustment to the program for Indy will be in line. I can think of a few ways and I will send that to NHRA in a week or two after I get rested. Bowling Green and Indy hard on an old guy. Or we could just chootem. Alligator season is the month of Sept, so let us know and we will get some Cajuns to handle that.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #217
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Knox View Post
What's wrong with Stock? The fact that someone who's smart, and willing to work hard, but can't spend a lot of money has little or no chance of winning.

Marty -- I have to disagree with you on this one - almost everyone in the 64 first round pairs ( except for a few heads-up races) had the same chance of winning Indy - no wallet in the world can buy you a good light or make you run the number - and thats what it takes ! ! !
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #218
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas

Quote:
Thats really not a bad idea......I'd vote for it .
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #219
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Almost everyone? Ah it's OK let nhra & oems have their way they only cheated a few people. Total BS. Nobody should be cheated.

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 09-05-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Bruce Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #220
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I got the kind of replies I expected from everyone, but one thing is for sure . The old muscle cars are way cooler than the new ones!