HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Upper BJ problem

I got the Global West bushing in my control arms and I bought upper BJ's from Howe with a .5 longer stud. The bolt hole in the BJ don't align with the holes in the arm. The 2 wide holes on the arm measure about 2.400 and the joint measures 2.500. Howe says the joint fits K5108 arms, which is the BJ number for a 70 Nova. I called Howe and the tech was going to look into it and call me back, which he never did.

Is my control arm weird or is the Howe BJ drilled wrong? I looked for specs on K5108 joints hoping to find a bolt diagram, but I've come up empty so far. Maybe they mistakenly sent me K5208's.

Are Proforged joints good? Afco, Global West and Moog don't have long BJ's for my car.

Last edited by Ron Gusack; 08-22-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Dave Jung

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Upper BJ problem

Try QA1, I have their zero friction upper BJ's with the longer studs.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gusack View Post
I got the Global West bushing in my control arms and I bought upper BJ's from Howe with a .5 longer stud. The bolt hole in the BJ don't align with the holes in the arm. The 2 wide holes on the arm measure about 2.400 and the joint measures 2.500. Howe says the joint fits K5108 arms, which is the BJ number for a 70 Nova. I called Howe and the tech was going to look into it and call me back, which he never did.

Is my control arm weird or is the Howe BJ drilled wrong? I looked for specs on K5108 joints hoping to find a bolt diagram, but I've come up empty so far. Maybe they mistakenly sent me K5208's.

Are Proforged joints good? Afco, Global West and Moog don't have long BJ's for my car.
Ron, call Howe Racing and they will help you with the correct part for your application. They manufacture the best racing bolt joints in the market and nothing compares to their product.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
bigfoot584

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

Ron my book shows 70-74 nova takes K-5108, the other chevrolet cars 70-74 take K-5208, even nova from 75-79 take s K-5208.
That's taking right from my moog book.
So looks like they screwed up on you Ron.
bigfoot584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've talked to Howe numerous times. The joint they sent me is supposed to fit both the 5108 and 5208. I sent them pics of their joint with my dial caliper and my control arm bolt spacing. It's clearly off about .100. They told me the one I have is the only one they offer and that they've never had this issue before. He said he thinks most guys just drill the control arm. I'm not really willing to do that, so I'm sending them back. As of now, I'm putting in some Moog 5108's that fit perfectly.

Would it be safe to drill the control arm to fit?
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
bigfoot584

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I've talked to Howe numerous times. The joint they sent me is supposed to fit both the 5108 and 5208. I sent them pics of their joint with my dial caliper and my control arm bolt spacing. It's clearly off about .100. They told me the one I have is the only one they offer and that they've never had this issue before. He said he thinks most guys just drill the control arm. I'm not really willing to do that, so I'm sending them back. As of now, I'm putting in some Moog 5108's that fit perfectly.

Would it be safe to drill the control arm to fit?
Speedway Motors has one, if it's longer I don't know.

PN # 106-20037LF
bigfoot584 is offline   Reply With Quote